Industrialization and economic development

Each time I come back I gain a little more insight into the culture of Vietnam, there has been many subjects on the site which have been critical of life here and in many ways I can understand. The people have a dual character 1st is the caring for those close to them emotionally, the 2nd is an overt indifference to those not in their WORLD, it can be seen in the way westerners ask something and get that hand gesture ( sort of wave/ shake ). Some VN student friends of mine have a presentation on economics and 1 of their teachers asked for their thoughts on why infrastructure  has faltered until now, I give the example of standing in the que at Lotte mart, a small gap appears and some young girl steps in , until she was told where the que started, at the back and  then there is the incident where, at the intersection a young m/c rider was looking intently at the bus drivers face to discern where he was focused  ( 2nd point ). I don't think this is exclusive to Vietnam just more overt, the old story, it's not a lie if both parties agree is the same in the west, don't pay anyone till the job is done. From watching my parents die, Mum with Alzheimer's, I have learnt that stimulation of the brain to develop synapses so that Alzheimer's is delayed is something I don't have to try hard to do....These are just my musings and I'm open to  correction , Mark

Basically, not my family, don't care.

Seen this happen day in day out.

Mind you the younger generation now is a lot more compassionate than previous generations.

colinoscapee wrote:

Basically, not my family, don't care.

Seen this happen day in day out.

Mind you the younger generation now is a lot more compassionate than previous generations.

It's true in the cities but I do believe smaller communities, rural towns and village folk are of a different mindset. Where everyone knows everyone, it extends to your neighbours too.

I'm staying in dist 7 at a home-stay, so I see a big turnover of guests in the month I stay with them, my hostess is having some personal struggles at the moment and 1 of the guests has befriended a Vn lady, she is a beautician so I thought, why not treat my hostess to some pampering at the spa, I set it up and paid for her to go. Now the owner of the spa ( friend of a guest ) has chipped in with EXTRA treatment for my hostess, they don't know each other except via me. In my first observations I said the young  M /c rider was watching the bus drivers face intently, it may have been that she , like others, was aware of the trouble caused to both in having a prang, not just her own pain?? Perhaps the economic development being out of the hands of little people, is dismissed by them and the party need to listen from bottom up- so people feel a worth? and are motivated to do extra! (Same same in Australia )

Agreed @ Mark; too many dwell on the negatives, maybe
because it (still) sells newspapers.

Perhaps too, that reason takes a little more thought, not to
mention the responsibility that is part of being fully aware;
along the lines of Gandhi's maxim that if we want to change
the world we should first begin with our self...

Love thy neighbour as thyself?   Nah.   Too hard.    :blink: