Rovinj,Here We Come....

Hello. My name is Billy, a Canadian and married to a lovely Croatian woman from Rovinj. We have decided to give it a go and try living there possibly forever. Vancouver where we live has become unlivable and ranked the third most unaffordable city on Earth! That's a fact. I earn 2200 dollars monthly on my  pension with no penalty or extra tax taken off in Croatia. Here our rent is $1725 monthly,with bills etc it leaves little. My wife lost a great job after five years and it seems good jobs aren't out there,mostly without benefits,low wages an short term employment. We have pretty much a free place to live as her mom is there still and will do fine. I believe my pension is around 10,600 Kuna monthly. We have decided that it is our best move financially and just for a change in life style .I have been to Rovinj twice and loved it but naturally still nervous abput a complete move. Would miss family but Skype is there now for us! Your thoughts?

Am also an artist/musician/bubble blower and was thinking of performing in the evenings and perhaps selling my art as prints/cards. fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-bill-oliver/shop/prints

Hi Billos, Vancouver seems so lovely but I completely empathize regarding the high cost of living as my husband and I left the SF Bay Area last July (and haven't looked back). We've traveled between Sarajevo (his home town) and Dalmatia and are planning to visit Istria in a couple of weeks to see if it's a good fit for us. I love Split but we also hear a lot of praise about Istria from people we trust (like my wine-loving cousins).

My advice--just do it--but be patient regarding administrative procedures. There are plenty of helpful people on this board to seek advice from. Your wife is Croatian--and that's a huge advantage.