Speaking Spanish in Panama

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Spanish is essential for a successful integration in Panama. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Spanish? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Panama?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Panamanians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

There are people who live here successfully without ever learning Spanish. They live with other expats and hire translators as needed. For me though, I wouldn't like that at all.  My biggest joy is my friendships with Panamanians. It's also way easier to get things done when you can communicate. Needless to say, the locals also appreciate it when you learn even some Spanish.

I made the most progress with private lessons, an hour a day with homework. At the time my teacher didn't speak English so I was forced to use any Spanish I knew. When I arrived I wasn't great but I could get by, and it's gotten better every year thanks to my Panamanian friends.

There are books, websites, maybe classes in your area and/or Spanish speaking friends who can help you practice. Or, give my teacher a try yairatutoria.com/

Yes, I do try to speak Spanish although not very confident at times when I do. And it is sometimes hard to understand when someone talks to me-seems very fast. But I do think that it is important to learn and keep on learning Spanish to communicate in Panama, a Spanish-speaking country. And most Panamanians are very helpful when they see that I am trying to speak in Spanish.
I had 3 years of Spanish in high school and 2 semesters in college, but that was 40 years ago. So when my husband and I first moved to Panama, we took Spanish classes for about 6 months. We have enough Panamanian Spanish now to get by, but I keep trying to learn more by talking with other Panamanians. Some like to use their knowledge of English with me as I respond in Spanish. I will never be fluent at my age, but I don't expect Panamanians should learn English for my sake. Although I am a permanent resident, I chose to move here and still a guest of this country-an expat.

hi
come to Chitre and learn witha translated and attend a school as well
Mike

Speaking Spanish is critical for doing any serious work or project here in Panama.

Still three years to retirement. I've just begun my Spanish lessons and it is fun although es muy dificil at my age. Two previous trips to Panama convinced me that some language is needed for my sake as well as the people I meet. I'm using a tutor and conversational lunches and have yet to check out a bilingual church that I have located. But it's happening. Ciao. David.

Hola,
Claro que si hablo español. Tambien hablo Ingles, Frances, Italiano t Arabe.

Espero poder conseguir un buen puesto en Panama.

Gracias

Hello everybody  :)

Thank you all for your feedback.
@ suave25, could you please post only in English on the anglophone forum?

Thank you   ;)
Niswata

He speaks Spanish, English, French, Italian, and Arabic, and hopes to find a good job in Panama

(I'm impressed!)

Niswata wrote:

Hello everybody  :)

Thank you all for your feedback.
@ suave25, could you please post only in English on the anglophone forum?

Thank you   ;)
Niswata

Jeez.....with such an impressive command of so many languages he should be working in Geneva for the U.N.........Where did the Arabe come from?