Retiring to England from the US

Hello Gang,

My wife and I are retired school teachers who would like to move to England. We meet the financial requirements and believe we can show our special and interest for the UK. (My wife has made 27 trips to England with some of those being school trips where she lectured on and at English literary sites.)
I understand we must start the paperwork process while we are here in the states and that it takes around four months or so. Question: Must we be present in the states during this whole process or can we be travelling after we start the process? If anyone knows, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks and hope to meet some of you soon.

Also, is buying a car in England for an American straightforward or tricky. I know about MOT, road tax, and insurance groups but I would appreciate any experienced advice from you guys and gals. Plan to buy a cheap but reliable car and prefer body damaged because we like to explore one track lanes, back roads, and mountain tracks and other tight places!
Thanks again.
Rob

Hi there. 

Pending on what Visa your planning on acquiring? 

Aussie We have been here 2 years from USA (lived there prior 15 yrs) and have a Ancestral Visa (my grandmother was born in Lindon - moved to OZ when she was 16 through Benardos)  we had all the pre paperwork done and met the UK Visa financial requirements before submitting our UK Visa application online on January 1st, 2014 and received our response online by 16th January.   We flew out of USA on Feb 1st, 2014. 
Our Visa date was for Feb 15th.  So we flew into UK on a Tourist Visa and needed leave UK for a bit then fly back into UK on Feb 15th to get our Visa Stamped in UK on our given entry date.   (Tip - Ireland doesn't count as a overseas trip - as they have a treaty with them so passport won't get stamped - meaning it won't count).   We flew to Copenhagen for a quick getaway (only a cheap few hour flight each way) then got stamped on 15th upon re entry into UK. 16 days was all it took for our Visa turnaround. 
Wishing you good luck.   

Plenty of second hand vehicles in all price ranges available here too. 
Please feel free to pm me any questions or concerns.  We began living 12 months in Cardiff, Wales - however, found too much rain and high winds there - rained nearly every day.  Only place where if you dislike the weather - you can go away and come Back in 10 minutes and it's changed.  See all 4 seasons in less than a hour.  Cardiff is lovely though!!
Wales:
Where Everyone is just looking to have a little bit of fun to brighten up a rainy day".
Plus still too far from London for our liking.  Train fares are ridiculously expensive here!  Train car Parking is worse. So we relocated closer into London.  Reading, England. 
It's got close location to Lobdon.  - Found it cheaper to drive to Hanslow to park at Train Station for £5.00 for entire day and free on Subdays and Public Holidays; Train fare is 1/2 the price to Reading and a easy drive to.
Reading has everything one needs plus the Thames and Kennet Rivers flows through it.   It's rapidly growing as it's commutable into London.  Only 42 miles (68km) West of London & Population of 235,K.  Good weather.   It doesn't rain as much as people think; Mild Winter this year!
Only complaint of Reading - the people ain't so warm, welcoming and friendly here - their nice and polite but forming friendships isn't easy and I'm an expert in quickly making new friends as I'm a global traveler who's lived in 3 Countries; so adapt quickly and friends make or break a place for me.  Cardiff was so welcoming as everyone was a delight I met.  Reading has location to London.  That's its prime attraction. Convenient to other major tourist and employment places too.  Only trade off are the people; Their not rude though.   We are thinking of relocating to live on the South Coaet - into Southhampton, Portsmouth, Southend of Sea or Brighton???   Been living in Reading 10 months and I'm so over Reading already.  Without friends I'm bored living here and Ready to mice on.  Good Luck with your relocation.  We had a fabulous Removalist Compsny I can recommend.  I got to know the owner who ensured he got us the best priced deal.  Plus he arranged it so we could pay him B4 leaving USA so not to loose $ on the exchange rate :). Pm if want info.
You can drive 1 year on your USA - a International Driving License - getting your license in UK isn't easy. 
I'm heading in now to take my Theory which includes a 50 Question Test plus a 14 video Hazard Driving Test.   Then a 30 min - 45 min Drivibg Test which includes showing under bonnet stuff to Tester & Driving T.

You'll be entitled to Medical Benefits upon registration at a medical center.  However, that's the only Government Benefits you'll get access to until your Visa is renewed in 5 years.  Until then your Visa is stamped with these words: "Not Entitled To Any Government Funds"!   That means everything Gov related.
Good Luck with your Visa and upcoming relocation.

This link might assist where you choose to live.  Reading is affordable living. 

Cost of Living in United Kingdom. Prices in United Kingdom. Updated Aug 2016
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ed+Kingdom

Compare different areas against each other:
Cost Of Living Comparison
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.co.uk

Cost of Living in United Kingdom. 2016 prices in United Kingdom.
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-livi … ed-kingdom

rahunt1 wrote:

Hello Gang,

My wife and I are retired school teachers who would like to move to England. We meet the financial requirements and believe we can show our special and interest for the UK. (My wife has made 27 trips to England with some of those being school trips where she lectured on and at English literary sites.)
I understand we must start the paperwork process while we are here in the states and that it takes around four months or so. Question: Must we be present in the states during this whole process or can we be travelling after we start the process? If anyone knows, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks and hope to meet some of you soon.

Also, is buying a car in England for an American straightforward or tricky. I know about MOT, road tax, and insurance groups but I would appreciate any experienced advice from you guys and gals. Plan to buy a cheap but reliable car and prefer body damaged because we like to explore one track lanes, back roads, and mountain tracks and other tight places!
Thanks again.
Rob

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the Forum and a Happy New Year to you and your wife. :)

At the top of this page are links to other parts of the Forum; if you select the Handy Tools link, then the Expat Guide option, it will take you to different items that you may find of use in planning your move.  Having read those, if you have any further questions, then please come back to us.  I'd also advise you to read through other posts in the England, Scotland etc forums; it may reveal something you hadn't thought about.

With regards to buying a car, you can buy a car in the UK with no problem; nationality places no restrictions on what you buy; there is an administrative process you have to go through with the V5 car registration document at the time of sale, but it's not onerous and certainly not something that should be considered at this point.  You can currently continue to drive on your US licence for up to 12 months from arrival; from that point, you either have to have a valid British licence, or stop driving.

Hope this helps.

Public Transport us 24/7 x 7 days a week.  Buses are excellent!   
Trains expensive.   2018 - Country Link will offer a Direct Link between Reading & London = 25 minute Ride
Note: Buses don't operate on Christmas Day!  Currently many Trains are not as reliable as they should be!

Thanks so much for your input and for writing back. Looking forward to wintering in England!
Rob