Volunteer Opportunities in Stuttgart

Hello Everyone,

I am an International Master's Student in Stuttgart, looking for volunteer opportunities in Stuttgart region.

I have search few but that are not the one's i was looking for.

If any one has idea about any organisation which provides volunteer opportunities and are flexible in hours, i would love to work their as a volunteer.

Best Regards.

You can contact me if you are interested in volunteering opportunities for refugees.
If you (as your name might imply) understand Arabic or one of the languages of Afghanistan (where most refugees come from) your help could be very valuable. But even if not, there are plenty of possibilities - I am for example offering kid's activities in a refugee camp near my home.

Hello Beppi,
I am from Pakistan; i can speak Urdu which i presume most of the Afghani can speak as far as i know.
Can you please elaborate more; what are the task you are involved their?
Are you working independently or through any organisation?

I personally am offering activities for the kids, but there are many other areas where volunteers are needed: From translating documents and accompanying visits to government agencies over apllication and job search help to German language classes and many more.

Can you give me the address and authority name to contact to the place where these services are required?

I am not sure whom you want to contact and why.
- The authority in charge of refugees is the BAMF (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge), which does process asylum and refugee status applications. There is no pint at all for you to contact them.
- Local town councils and their "Auslaenderamt" are in charge of housing, feeding and administrating refugees in their jurisdiction. If you contact them, they will probably redirect you to the below.
- They normally delegate the day-to-day running of refugee homes to charities like Caritas or Arbeiterwohlfahrt (AWO) and a few others. You may contact these.
- The scope of these charities is strictly limited to bare necessities (which is enough work indeed!), so everything else (from social activities to translations to help with officialdom to job search help to German classes) is offered by local volunteers, often loosely organised in a "Freundeskreis". These are (in my opinion) the best address to contact for volunteering opportunities.
- In addition, there are many other organisations offering all kinds of support and activities for refugees. They also all need volunteers (and donations).

This official website gives more information:
https://www.stuttgart.de/fluechtlinge/

Thanks very much Beppi for your valuable time and provide me with the valuable details, i was just asking these because i am not the national of Germany, so i don't know how system runs here and i am also new here so i want to make sure that what will be the best option for me to approach in order to help people.

Thanks again i will see every details which you provide me and approach as the way you guided me.

Hello,
I would like also to participate in volnteer job i speak Arabic , English and little German .
am Syrian but am not a refugee i came as student and am studying her in Stuttgart , i use to work in volnteer organisations such as : Syrian arab red crescent . Is there any opportunities ?

There are many volunteering opportunities in refugee homes, especially for Arab speakers. I personally am organising children's activities for a home in Obertürkheim and also helped the Syrian Humanitary Forum to collect goods for relief shipments. You can contact one of the several "Freundeskreise" to find out their specific needs.
Since you are Syrian, please allow me a comment: you and your countrymen/women are welcome in Germany only if you are able to not have the hate and racial/religious/political divisions that are tearing your country apart!

Hello,

I am a fluent Arabic speaker  currently studying for my PHD in Stuttgart. I would love to help with any volunteer work as necessary. However,  my German is not yet very good.

Please advice how to proceed further.
Kind Regards

Arab speakers are always needed to deal with refugees. German skills are not needed for all activities - often English or Arab alone is sufficient.
I recommend you ask the social workers at a refugee home near you how you can get involved.

Hello Beppi,

I was combing through this post and I'm reaching out looking for a volunteer opportunity. I'm from the US, living in Germany. Are there any volunteer opportunities you offer me or at least point me to some resources?

Syirrus

Syirrus:
Great that you want to spend some of your time to help those less fortunate!
As you can see from the discussion above - and similar ones on this forum and elsewhere - there are many opportunities in Germany. The only problem is finding them and deciding which cause you want to get involved in.
Since (apart from a few international organisations like Greenpeace, Amnesty International or WWF) volunteering is quite local, I could only give you exact pointers if you are in my area (Stuttgart) or want to volunteer in a similar setting as me (refugee help).
But in many towns, the local authorities or big charities (like Caritas, ASB, Arbeiterwohlfahrt, Red Cross, etc.) have set up webpages for volunteers, listing such opportunities. Where this is not available, you should contact these organisations and ask.
If you need further pointers or help, please post again!

There is also this https://www.workaway.info/ but this more of a working holiday though.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I will look at some of the local organizations you posted to see if I can make some traction.  If not, would it be a problem is I asked you for pointers?

Syirrus

Of course you are welcome to ask again - depending on your location we might or might not be able to help you.