NEED FEEDBACK FOR ANY GOOD/BAD DOG BOARDING EXPERIENCES

Hola Puerto Rico Based familia,

Been M.I.A for quite some while.  Due to Elder-Care responsibilities for my father who suffers from Parkinson's Disease, I've been consumed with lots of stress, but do log in time to time to stay somewhat updated with all of you and interesting experiences.  I am temporarily relieved of my duties while other members of my family are able to step in.  Scheduled to fly in mid January to do some maintenance to our home in Hatillo, PR to at least April.  Our "Feist" breed 4yr old "Smokey" will be coming with us, of course.  But am considering leaving him in a dogcare/boarding place in Hatillo @ St. Francis of Assisi next to Plaza del Norte Mall.  Only for weekends when necessary.  New updated facility opening soon in early 2017.  This option will free us to travel around the Island for longer hours and possibly last minute motel sleep overs if needed.
   Have anyone one used Dog boarding and have any experiences.  Was the dog kennel for most of the day or did facility have a dog park secured area for the dogs to have outdoor time.  Making plans to visit St. Francis and get a tour.. Heard there's a $10 daily fee if 25lbs & under. Smokey is currently 27lbs, but won't hurt to lose 2lbs...hahaha.  Thanks for any responses..  Buen dia..Jose

Hola Jose,
We're neighbors - my husband and I live in Hatillo, too! If you have time during your upcoming visit and want to get together, let me know.
We board our dogs at the Arecibo Veterinary Clinic, visible from the highway right at the end of Route 22, where it meets Road 2. You access the clinic from the margin, just past McDonald's. Their #is 787-878-5113.
They have kennels with indoor/outdoor access all day - we prefer this as opposed to cages (because we don't want to have to worry about whether or not the dogs  are being walked frequently enough to avoid them being forced to soil in the cage.)
The  kennels are very clean and the man who cares for the dogs is very loving and compassionate. He is a longtime employee. (I think he has been  with the vet for more than 15 years.) The vet lives on-site, so that adds to our peace of mind. 
I hope this info helps.
Joy

Can't help you with your request but want to share. When I lived in Arroyo, near Guayama, I had to board my dogs for two weeks.  The only place I found was a pet shop that boarded dogs.  The dogs loved it! They were out in the open part of the shop and had visitors all day.  When I picked them up, they were hoarse from all of the barking they did.

Hola Vecina Joy!!
    Thanks for the AVC review.  I know exactly where it is, but honestly I wondered if it was operational, because from the outside it looked like a closed barn haha. Appearance s are deceiving.  I am glad you had good experiences especially since it's near town. Will drop in to AVC and to St. Francis de Assisi Animal Hospital and compare.  Yes, I would prefer the dogs having outdoor freedom in order to do their business without hours of waiting to relieve themselves. I am located in Estancias de la Ceiba behind the Coliseo de Deida and Bomberos Estacion on Carr #2.  Will contact you when settled in to meet up. My #xxx.  Felicidades

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hola Frogrock,
   I appreciate your feedback.  Any dog care experiences are helpful and comforting.  Not every animal care facility treat animals properly although it should be their priority. Just looking to avoid the horror stories. Smokey substitutes my adult kids and I protect him as my human family 😁.  Btw, I've heard a lot and researched about your neck in the woods.  Wife & I are planning a visit to get a feel for Palma del Mar-Humacao sometime btw Jan & April. Can you be our guide? if available..  Jose&Grace

Jose posting email address or personal phone numbers is frown upon on this site for your protection. Please use Private Messaging in the future.
Thanks