Bugibba Malta renting - general question on prices.

Hi.

I am moving to Malta next year, probably towards the end of the summer (August 2017).

I have been to Malta already, and I was advised that rent prices are more affordable in Bugibba than elsewhere, and that the city would suit as it's not as isolated as some of the western towns.

I have looked at prices on a few of the Agency sites, but they vary very much, anything from €300-1000+ per month. It's hard to find what an average price might be. Any ideas on this?

Will be getting a 1/2 bedroom apartment for 6 months at first I should think.

Even if the fluctuation is 10% in a year, which it won't be, I could factor that in myself

There are huge changes in how landlords have to report these earnings and be taxed that is just happening - well they always had to do it but now its getting harder not to.  The impact on the market is unknown but rents have been going up a lot.

Also its summer and who knows, forget about this question this far ahead you're wasting your time thinking about it now.

Also agency websites do not have current stuff on, it's bait and switch traps mainly.

Hi there, as has been said here many times before, the websites of the agencies do not reflect the actual situation on the rental market. Most of the advertised properties are not available at all, and certainly not at the advertised prices.. Your best bet would be to join some of the facebook groups dedicated to renting in Malta, the posts there are usually more helpful. For a 2br in Bugibba I'd say you'll have to expect around 600 minimum at the moment. It is indeed hard to tell what the situation will be like in 9 months' time, though, as prices also fluctuate depending on the time of year.. and the flat we rented for 450 this February is now 500 for the new tenants, so def. more than 10%.. in less than a year.

Brian- you should know it's pretty much a free for all. No tenancy rights whatsoever (well, unless you are Maltese and have been renting since 1950 and basically have squatter's rights). What I mean is there are is no cap on the percentage a rent can be raised year-to-year. It's a total mess.

Thanks bernie_iris_fabian_david

If it's around €600 at the moment, that is a good indicator.

There are few rights in Dublin either. Rent can be raised at any time, regardless of what the laws are. If you don't pay, you're asked to leave. It's around €600 a month here for a room in a house sharing with 3-5 others.

That's too bad. Always more pleasant to live in a city/country where you have some recourse if you are being cheated or laws are being ignored.

It's generally not bad, those are just the exceptions, and I've been lucky. But rent is high, that's for sure.

You might also want to check out this thread on the forum here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=583826

brianireland wrote:

Hi.
[I am moving to Malta next year, probably towards the end of the summer (August 2017).

I have been to Malta already, and I was advised that rent prices are more affordable in Bugibba than elsewhere, and that the city would suit as it's not as isolated as some of the western towns.

I have looked at prices on a few of the Agency sites, but they vary very much, anything from €300-1000+ per month. It's hard to find what an average price might be. Any ideas on this?

Will be getting a 1/2 bedroom apartment for 6 months at first I should think.

Why move over in August?  Unless it's necessary career wise it would make more sense to either mover out earlier or wait until at least the Autumn when there would be more properties available
and cheaper as August is an expensive month and a lot of properties are rented out as holiday lets.

Yeah, I'd say you were looking at 600+ for Bugibba depending on the level of property.

GozoMo wrote:

Why move over in August?  Unless it's necessary career wise it would make more sense to either mover out earlier or wait until at least the Autumn when there would be more properties available
and cheaper as August is an expensive month and a lot of properties are rented out as holiday lets.

I totally agree - especially since Bugibba / St. Paul's / Qawra is an area where there are loads of tourists in June, July & August, and probably till mid-September - and owners renting out their flats to tourists can charge a month's rent for a week...