Property prices in Tangier

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Tangier is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Tangier?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

In Tanger the estate market is not what it used to be. The prices in 2015 dropped according to Bank al Maghrib. The property Market is still weak in Morocco.    In Tangier, the country's most important port city on the Strait of Gibraltar, property prices increased 1.5% y-o-y in Q4 2015 but dropped slightly by 0.1% q-o-q over the same period.

If you want a constant market price for your investement or to sell later with a small profit buy an appartement. Smarter to buy an appartement near the city Center. Like Boulevard Mohamed V, Nejma and the old Port area, and the administrative area.
There are new projects near the train station and the Hilton Mall. Which are promising. An appartement has a lot of advantages for an expat.

The most desired places to live are: City Center, Nejma and Boulevard Mohamed V and Mohamed6. But also if you prefer to live a calm life..The area of Merchan, Jbel kbir. If you like to live near to the Moroccan citizens of Tanger, Merchan, but also Dradeb, the old Medina of Tanger, Msallah. Those areas where Europeans used to live during history.

The costs of renting a flat depends on the location and space. But you should count an average rentaround  E450,- a month in the city center. There is a lot of demand for rent in Tangier.

The buying process is otherwise the same as in France and Spain, with a notary acting for both parties. Signatures on the sales deed of the contracting parties should be notarized. The sales deed should then be registered with the relevant registration office. The buyer then applies for the listing of the registered deed to the land registry.

Legal Fees:
Due to the complex nature of Moroccan property registration and ownership system, it is highly advisable for the buyer to hire a lawyer to represent him. Legal fees are negotiable, ranging from 1% to 5% of the property value plus 10% VAT.

* Registration Duties:
A registration duty of 6% is applicable to acquisition of buildings by individuals or legal entities. A registration duty of 6% is also imposed on acquisition of undeveloped land to build houses and premises.

* Notary Fee
Notary fees are around 0.50% to 1% of the property value.

* Stamp Duty
Stamp duty is around 1% of the property value.

* Legal Fee
Due to the complex nature of Moroccan property registration and ownership system, it is highly advisable for the buyer to hire a lawyer to represent him. Legal fees are negotiable, ranging from 1% to 5% of the property

* Land Registry Fee:
Aside from the registration, the sales deed is also listed in the land registry. Land registry fee is 1%.

* Real Estate Agent´s Fee:
The real estate agent or simsaar typically charges the buyer 2.5% of purchase price as commission.

I myself live 100m from the Boulevard Mohamed V. It's a great area and very recommendable. But I am in love with Tanger so the city is very friendly to expats. It offers all you need...

I hope I clarrified some of your questions...Don't hesitate to contact me..

i live in castilla , the price is 3000 DH ,( without furniture)

Thank you for the breakdown of all the charges.  Very Helpful.  Is the 10%VAT of the sale price or the attorney's fees.  On average, what is the estimated total fees?

Thank you