Obstetrics and maternity care in Kiev

Hi!

Does anyone or their partners have experience of having a baby in Kiev? Any ideas of a good Obstetric and good doctors and good modern maternity hospital that does the whole lot...pre natal, delivery, paediatric care etc. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

ISIDA provides all such services and has English speaking doctors.  I personally never tried them.

Thanks for the reply

You need to be very careful.   Do your homework.  My Ukrainian wife refused to give birth in Ukraine.   Her friends encouraged me to go back to Japan.

I thought they were just being paranoid but after reading horror stories on Ukrainian forums,  I can only say that my wife and her friends are right.

Even a simple dna testing for down syndrome has gone wrong in this country.  Ok so it's not that simple but it's gone wrong with the procedure using the needle and results were wrong.   Long story short, the DNA testing said that the child did not have down syndrome but ended up having it.

The parents are suing the doctors, like that is going to change anything.

even the best hospitals are lacking one thing or another and should complication arise, they need to haul you to another hospital.   Most hospitals just don't have all the necessary equipment.

anyway do your homework.  the most important thing is to ask, should any complication arise, does the hospital have the necessary staff and equipment.   Last thing you need is getting shoved into an ambulance for birth complications and being transferred to another hospital.

Thank you for that. Actually, we went to the ISIDA clinic which was recommended and had a great consult with an nice experienced Obstetrician but then she informed us the ISIDA clinic doesn't allow you to choose the doctor who will do the delivery! It depends on the day and is totally random!! So they charge 4,000 dollars (same rates as the best European clinics)  but the patient has no say as to who they get on the day. You can spend two months having prenatal care with one doctor but someone else will do the delivery or caesarean or whatever. Insane!.....

Dulake5 wrote:

You need to be very careful.   Do your homework.  My Ukrainian wife refused to give birth in Ukraine.   Her friends encouraged me to go back to Japan.

I thought they were just being paranoid but after reading horror stories on Ukrainian forums,  I can only say that my wife and her friends are right.

Even a simple dna testing for down syndrome has gone wrong in this country.  Ok so it's not that simple but it's gone wrong with the procedure using the needle and results were wrong.   Long story short, the DNA testing said that the child did not have down syndrome but ended up having it.

The parents are suing the doctors, like that is going to change anything.

even the best hospitals are lacking one thing or another and should complication arise, they need to haul you to another hospital.   Most hospitals just don't have all the necessary equipment.

anyway do your homework.  the most important thing is to ask, should any complication arise, does the hospital have the necessary staff and equipment.   Last thing you need is getting shoved into an ambulance for birth complications and being transferred to another hospital.

I remember my wife telling me that ISIDA lacked some kind of a respirator and the woman had to be shipped to another hospital in an ambulance with her baby.    Obviously the traffic is horrendous and it was hell just getting to the other hospital.  If I remember correctly, the baby died. 

This was on the Ukrainian forum and my wife told me that this is perfectly normal in Ukraine.  They just share equipment and this is the reason why my wife and her friends strongly advise and abhor the hospitals here.   They just don't have what it takes, should something happen.  4000 is the correct amount.   We gave birth in Brazil and it was 6000 USD.  In Japan, it would be something like 6000 but the health insurance gives you back 5999.    They charge uninsured prices or close to uninsured prices of the G7 nations, but the service is close to sub Sahara.

Anyway I have had my friends tell me horror stories of Boris so if you ever have to do anything major, think twice.

Hi) I was looking for really good clinic for a long time, because had doubts even when lady on reception was not enough kind, I tried to find clinic and doctor who I will trust to, with normal attitude and acceptable prices, read tones of reviews. One day I found very nice web-site ovu.com and at the same day I found my clinic. Actually site was very helpful, because there were lots of clinics and gynecologists in different countries, and I sent one or two enquiries and after that several clinics called me. Eventually I found American Medical Centres to give me consultation, I was surprised at level of politeness, was very satisfied with kind and knowledgeable doctor. And if you are looking for a great, attentive doctor, caring staff, then this place is for you! The nurses are always so understanding and it such a comfort that you can email them with any concerns or questions and they will always reply quickly. Now I'm waiting for my little happiness and I'll be happy to hold it in my hands almost in almost 3 weeks)

Hello,

I am originally from Ukraine been living in Australia for 10 years and I cannot say a bad word about delivering a baby in Ukraine all of my relatives highly speak of the doctors and nurses,  I am 22 and have not had a child yet (currently 4 weeks pregnant) but I have already decided that there is no chance I will be having a baby in Sydney.  Yes there are stories of things going wrong but the chances of anything happening is very rare, I am going to Ukraine in a month and will stay in my hometown Kyiv for the duration of my pregnancy, I am booked into the Leleka clinic in the Obolon district and have spoken to the doctors over Skype . They are highly recommended and the offer a variety of packages for their patients.

What other hospitals do your relatives speak highly of for birth? Any of the public hospitals within Kyiv?