Thinking of moving to Cartegena

My husband and I (a gay couple) are thinking of taking early retirement and moving to Cartegena (we are also considering Panama).  We are visiting Cartegena in December (Panama in February).  We would love to hear about the pluses and minuses of becoming an expat in Cartegena and meeting with an expat group or individuals when we are there to get a sense of moving there.

Well, it's hot there. :)

Every time someone asked me to come visit Cartegena, I was like, "Yeah! That sounds fun!" But then every time, I've been like, "But it's gonna be hot." So I never went. Maybe I'll get there one day, but I just love the mountain weather too much.

I just don't like the hot. But I'm sure you'll have a fab time. I'm not gay, but the Colombians seem to be very tolerant. There might be a few like any place that say something inappropriate (they're Catholic), but for the most part, you'll be welcome.

It's way too humid for average people to tolerate. When I was there I would have a wet patch on my shirt 5 minutes after leaving my air conditioned room.

And because of the heat down by the sea it smells really bad as all the garbage ferments. And the giant insects - let's not go there. It was fun to visit for 3 or 4 days, but I went on to spend a few more days further up the coast and by the time I flew back to the south I was so glad to get back to a normal temperature. I really would not ever consider moving to such a place.

michaeldon wrote:

It's way too humid for average people to tolerate. When I was there I would have a wet patch on my shirt 5 minutes after leaving my air conditioned room.

And because of the heat down by the sea it smells really bad as all the garbage ferments. And the giant insects - let's not go there. It was fun to visit for 3 or 4 days, but I went on to spend a few more days further up the coast and by the time I flew back to the south I was so glad to get back to a normal temperature. I really would not ever consider moving to such a place.

Well, I hate to crap on a spot I've never visited. But yeah, I've heard all that.

And Colombia is such a beautiful spot. The mountains are GORGEOUS. The weather in the Colombian mountains is like October in the States. Some people like hot and humid weather. I just don't.

But I hear Cartegena is great. Go see it and let us know.

I'd say Cartagena is not for you. Too much complaining, and too little willingness to adapt will not serve you well. It gets hot and humid inside the walls of the Old City, but along the shore further south or north, where you get the sea breezes, it's much better. Also, if you have an apartment above the 4th level, you won't have bugs on your balcony, so you can sit outside and enjoy the sunshine; the bugs tend to stick close to the ground. I'm planning to retire there with my partner (we'll be getting married there in 2017), and I expect to keep an open mind, be accepting of life there as it is, and be adaptable, above all. Whats the point of moving to someplace outside your previous experience, and your comfort zone, if you'll only be complaining that it's not like where you left? I know I'll have many adjustments to make, and I'll be glad to make them. My attitude is, I'll be a guest, I'll want to treat the people there with respect, and, most importantly, learn something new everyday. If you don't want to do that, stay home. You may just be happier.