Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Ireland

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Ireland can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Ireland?

What are the most common clichés about life in Ireland in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

Ireland is a great country to live and work, great people and good work culture.

The social life here is great too, lots of hangouts, pubs, sports facilities. So you basically can't get bored if you put some effort in trying to know more people at social events etc.

The only thing you have to bare with I would say is the weather especially during winter, it rains quite often, but soon or later you kind of get used to it.

In my opinion, you can live your dream in any country you decide to relocate to. It's how we interpret that narrative that makes the experience worthwhile...For example if you moved to Ireland and you're not much of a social person maybe you might not find it as interesting as opposed to a sociable person!!

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Stay blessed

The weather. I remind all and sundry you never have to shovel rain. And, as an added benefit, you can grow mushrooms in your shoes! (well, joking on that--but not by much some days)

We came from snow country, had ten feet of snow the winter before we moved. We do not miss it.

I agree with president_ads, an awful lot of settling into a new place has to do with your frame of mind. We do our best to not look back, not to compare and especially not to cherry pick things from our former country.