Dealing with homesickness in England

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in England can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in England? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi there,

Depending where you are from and where in England you are living Pricilla??

We Aussies are blessed to have plenty available in all of those areas both online and in real places!  Offering plenty of opportunities to mix with other fellow Aussie Expats whilst enjoying Aussie Food and Events on a regular basis! 

To stay connected with Family members and everyone else living Overseas; we use Skype, Email Communication & Social Media....  Facebook works best for Day-To-Day updates!

Thank you for your post Priscilla!
I think when you feel homesick it is because the place you are living is still not considered your actual home, so I guess another way to overcome it - apart from getting close to the people, food, places, etc from your home country - is to also make an effort to build your familiar environment in your new place as well.
In this case, I not only go to restaurants where they serve Brazilian food (in my case as I am from Brazil), hang out with other fellow Brazilians, get in touch with my family, listen to music, etc, but I also try to go out there and develop my life in London as well by exploring and taking advantage all the great things this city has to offer, as well as socializing with others who live here and building connections.
In my opinion, I think it is important to do both as if you just hold on to everything you miss from your home country you will just immerse yourself in a bubble and not take advantage of all the positive things that an expat life can bring you.
I wrote a little bit of my story on a blog post, if anyone is interested on reading it :)
[link moderated]

I can believe expats feeling homesick in England unless they have family or a close knit group of friends ad work colleagues. Some English are friendly to foreigners but then some tend to keep to themselves and are not overly friendly.

I think homesickness and loneliness are sort of related, so you really need to make an effort to get a good group of friends. If you are homesick for food back home, well, I don't consider missing food as "homesickness". If you miss friends, family of lifestyle then either find friends, and if that doesn't work then consider returning back to your own country where you may be much happier.

i would suggest finding a bar that has people from your origin country, or a small community of your country of origin, you can always find this info on the internet.