Starting an Irish folk band

Hi all!

I'm moving to HCMC in November and I'm thinking of starting an Irish folk band when I arrive. Idea is to do a few gigs around the city and maybe further afield.

I've spent the last 3 years as the lead singer in an Irish band in England. We've toured England and Europe and have been quite successful.

Want to do something similar to Pogues, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murpheys, Rumjacks,Dubliners - that sort of thing.

I sing and play a bit of guitar/bodhran. Would love to meet some drummers/guitarists/fiddler's/accordionists/banjo player/mandolin players or anything else that works!

Anyway, get in touch if it's something you're interested in.

My email is - xxx

Hope to hear from you!

Ciaran

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

G'day to you Ciara from Saigon,

What a novel idea, I sing play,play guitar and dance ( not river dance though )  maybe in the future !

I would love to part of your ensemble, so let's meet and make music magic.

Des    email xxx        now in Saigon / from Brisbane, Australia  xxx ( landline phone Saigon )

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,

That's great! I'll see how much more interest we get and then we can take it from there :)

Cheers,

Ciaran

Do let me know how things going on with your band idea. A friend of mine is a drummer from Australia and has been living in Saigon for years now. I can hook you guys up when you're here 😄

Are you playing around Saigon those days?
I would like to hear you playing

Hi Stefano,

No, haven't started playing yet. Do you play an instrument?

Hi Ciaran,

FYI

There is an Irish Pub in Saigon downtown, I think you can start from there.

The Pub is a popular rendezvous of Irish community in Saigon and the surrounding area hosts various musical events (a lot of Pubs, bars, acoustic coffee shops...). These things would make this location a perfect starting point for your band.

Cheers,

Hi Cieran...

Are you still in Saigon? Still looking for musicians? I play the fiddle and am already in a band so I'm a bit strapped for time but your list or musical influences is exactly what I'm into. If you're still around and would be interested in jamming sometime, give me a shout.

Globejotter wrote:

Hi Cieran...

Are you still in Saigon? Still looking for musicians? I play the fiddle and am already in a band so I'm a bit strapped for time but your list or musical influences is exactly what I'm into. If you're still around and would be interested in jamming sometime, give me a shout.

Are you going to be in Saigon for a while? I play the concertina and that would be quite funny to have a session in Saigon :D I'm not really into what you guys are into, I'm more into older jigs, reels and hornpipes from East Clare and around (think Vincent Broderick, Junior Crehan and other fine folks) not really into songs much but I'm sure we could find some middle ground! Anyway, I'll be there in May for a day or two and then a few times between September and February.