Hi all, I will be reading alot here as I'm sure some of what I am asking has been covered but thanks in advance for any advice. Like many I am tired of the rat race in the US. I am thinking about early retirement I'm 46 now. My other reason is a bit complicated I'll try to keep it short. I have a 3 year relationship with a great filipina and I am part of the family there. We have been fighting for an anullment of her frst marriage where she was abandoned 6 years ago. This process has gone almost 3 years now The range for an anull is 3 months to about 5 years. ( yeah really). We had hoped she could be in the US on a fiance visa and then about age 60 or so I would want to sell my house and business and retire to the philippines. We decided 2011 anull or not we will stop living apart and be together one way or the other. If I retire later as planned the sale of everything plus Soc sec we would be fine I have read enough to see that. If I have to retire early and sale the business and some things that can't come with me like my jeep :( etc buy a simple house there and live simple it will be less of a sure thing but still possible I think. If I came there with between 50 and 80 K spent 10 - 20 on a house I guess I could put the rest in a few banks and then dabble in coconuts or rice a sari sari etc to add to the monthly income. I have been to the philippines 5 times and that way of life suits me just fine. Hopefully the anull will be done someday and we can still marry but at least we are together while waiting for all this. Any advice or ideas are appreciated. Jim.

Welcome on Expat.com backwardecho :)

I would take it slow in buying prop. Actually, you can't and would have to put it in her name. If she has not annulled her marriage, recipe for diaster. Would recommend live in the Philippine site withbbob as they have a lot of folks in same situation. He has good ideas on generating income and strongly against sari sari or BBQ shops as they are on every corner...

Good luck
Don