New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Spain forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Spain if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2016 continues below!

Hi! My name is Claudia and i am German-Italian! I moved to Alicante on April 7.

I am looking for a job as a (Raw) vegan cook, tutor, Nanny or cleaning

I love Alicante

Nice to meet you all

Thank you :)

Peace.Vegan wrote:

Hi! My name is Claudia and i am German-Italian! I moved to Alicante on April 7.

I am looking for a job as a (Raw) vegan cook, tutor, Nanny or cleaning

I love Alicante

Nice to meet you all

Thank you :)

Welcome on board Claudia :cheers:

For all job related queries please refer to the Jobs offers in Spain section of the site.

Note to members : This thread is only for your introduction to the online community. For any adverts please refer on the top banner.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Ok! Thank you!  :)

Hi everyone! My name is Kenice and I'll be studying abroad in Spain next semester.

Hello everybody ... just joined!

I'm a Brit who moved to Catalonia last November with my German mate. I'm single, his wife & kids are in Frankfurt and will one day join him here in Spain.

Sant Boi de Lluçanès is a small quiet village in the winter, summer it livens up so we're told. It has a bakery, two grocery shops, a booze shop with five big barrels of really good serve-yourself wine @ only 1.60 euros per litre (result!!!), a pharmacy, a plumbing/electrical shop, a couple of bars, and a very good restaurant where they visit from miles around. So the village may be small, but it has all the ‘basics'.

Importantly, 800m up it means that summers won't be scorching 45+ degrees as in the south, but around 30 degrees max. I can cope with that. Located just south of Andorra, the whole place is also off-road heaven as I am into 4x4s and off-roading! Put it this way, there is a 49 mile circuit of moderate mountain tracks just around my village, and they start just 300m from our casa. Apparently, Jordi Arcarons and Nani Roma (well know Spanish motorcycle entrants of Dakar Rally fame) both have off-road schools here in Cayalonia, Nani's is in the next village to us.

Last but not least, because Barcelona and Girona are fairly close (approximately 1 to 1.5 hours drive), flying to England and Germany is cheap and easy. All good reasons to be based somewhere quite and peaceful.

Working from home on the internet, we organise 4x4/overland travel/bushcraft events in Germany and England. I will list what we do in the business directory of the forum.

Hey! Sounds great! I have a Paris Dakar Yamaha that I would love to go on a tour with if someone is up for a trip somewhere interesting (desert, sea).
I am french and moved to Alicante 3 years ago, 400m above sea level, Ienjoy some nice breeze in summer.
Will be happy to make some friends.
Cheers
Denis

Hi Denis - awesome bikes those! Seen them perform when I competed in the Paris-Dakar some time ago. Unfortunately I've also seen them stuck the other side of a sand dune, when suddenly you hear the roar of a 1,000 bhp truck racing up the dune . As a rider all you can  is run for your life, the bike sadly is no more when the truck has passed.  C'est la vie!

When I get down to Alicante we have to meet up and have a beer and talk 'off-road'.

Hi Tom!
Well what a nice surprise :) I have been to many countries in my life, my bikes with me and are still alive, more than me.
Let me tell you which bike I have exactly, its the first Yamaha 600cc 34L Tenere. And I also have the XLR 600 Paris Dakar, both of them with the big tank model.
I dream and wish to find a partner to go with me to Namibia and maybe stay there few months per year to enjoy the dunes and fishing. But everything is so expensive today. I was working at sea most of my life and 3 years ago I found a half ruin on a finca near Alicante as I mentioned and I am renewing it and will appreciate a little break. As soon as I have the means I hope to do so. But as you said, I will be very glad to have you here for a beer and if you wish to stay a few days you are very welcome. Good music and a beer.
Cheers
Denis

Hi I am Patrick from Northern Ireland.  I retire on 30th June and want to rent long term in Alicante for 2 years from Jan 2017.  Any ideas

Denis - Sorry didn't reply sooner as I missed the email stating there was an expat.com message. Blimey, you do like your bikes!

Thanks for the invite BTW, may well take you up on that as we obviously have a lot in common. Tell you what, as mentioned I run 4x4/overland travel/bushcraft events in Germany and England. If you go to www.adventureoverlandshow.net you will see what I get up to. My ‘Orangemobile' as I call it is pictured on the homepage – it's the orange Range Rover camper, a 1974/5 ex-ambulance. The drone video is particularly interesting. Mostly 4x4s of course, but you'll see adventure bikes there too.

Within the CONTACT section is my email address. If you can ping me an email, that would be a good way of exchanging photos, etc. …. Plus with an email I won't miss your message!

Cheers, Tom Mc

Denis - just in case the link doesn't work (they don't always in forums and messageboards), type in Adventure Overland Show (Stratford-upon-Avon Racecourse, Warwickshire, England) and up it will come as the first listing.

Cheers, Tom Mc

Hello everyone.
my name is Roger and we live in England and looking to take retirement to Andalusia Spain. we are in the early stages trying to sort finances out.

Hi Ron.  Good luck.  I retire on 30th June and my wife and I are hoping to rent long term and maybe buy.  Welcome to the forum.  Patrick

Meant Rog  Typing awful

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for your message. I will check your website and will send you an email.
By the way, I used to have a old Range Rover with a 164 Alpha Romeo diesel motor with 4 heads, very bad motor but the car was so strong, I mean the chassis. Now I have a very old Land Rover Santana that was built in Spain, it is a old military car, if you see it you will laugh =)
As I said, you are always welcome for a visit and if you wish to stay some days no problem.

Kind regards,
Denis
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Paddywhack,

First its good you are going to retire and do what you like to do.
We are french living near Alicante, not in the city (thank goodness) but in a very special place in nature with a unique sea view. It is a finca, a old stone house 10 minutes from the sea and 20 minutes from Alicante centre. And we have some land around the house where we grow some vegetables, have young fruit trees and chickens.
If you come by the area please pass for a visit, maybe we can share some ideas and see some possibilities.
Regards,
Denis

Hi
My name is Joanne and i'm a single, forty-something English lady.  I'm currently living in the north of England and planning a move to the Girona area and would welcome any advice !  I've chosen the Costa Brava area as it isn't as hot as southern Spain and I could potentially drive there from the UK.

I'm in the early stages of my research and so I haven't pinned down a specific location yet.  As i'm making the move by myself I would like to initially have some fellow brits in my community to have some familiarity during the process of transition.  I will also need to work to support myself.  I've been an administrator for many years but i'm willing to do any line of work (within reason.......lol).  I want to be close to the coast but in an area where there are work opportunities.  I will be looking for a long term rental property.  Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Jo
x

Hello everyone and welcome on board  :)

@ Joanne, do not hesitate to create your own topic on the Girona forum while detailing what information you need. You will surely get more interaction and answers from members.

All the very best,
Bhavna

It sounds like you own a Series 3 Land Rover Santana on leaf springs. Stumbled across one of those in the middle of nowhere whilst off-roading in a National Park behind Malaga a couple of years ago. Great vehicles, the fact they have no electronics is a major plus.

http://i86.servimg.com/u/f86/15/96/50/21/off-ro10.jpg

Incidentally I grow veg too. My philosophy is simple - It's only worth growing if I can eat it!

@ TomMcG, since this thread is for the introduction of new members of the forum, maybe you could exchange via the private messaging system if you have something particular to say to a member.  :)

All the best,
Bhavna

I would use the private messaging system Bhavna if I knew how! This  forum has a format I've not seen before, so to me it doesn't seem very clear. Any tips? Where is the PM button for instance?

@ TomMcG > If you wish to talk to a member in private, do note that you should click on the profile of the member and then you will the button " send a message". You only need to click on this button, to write the message and then click on send. ;)

Very easy  :top:

Thanks

Priscilla

[ P.S Sorry for the off topic ]

Hallo everybody,

I'm Carsten a Dane living in Alicante on my 3rd year.

I'm here to hear and discuss different opinions with expats living here. And also give my best 2 cents from my own experiences. Looking forward to talk to you :)

Carsten Hansen

Hi Carsten.  How do you like Alicante.  My wife and I are going out for Oct and Nov as I retire soon.  We then hope to rent long term for a few years.  What is the best way to get long term rentals,. do you know.  We are not going to buy as we are past that age I think.  We are selling our home in Northern Ireland so will have plenty of money to rent.  I have heard that after 6 months people have to register in Spain.  Is this difficult.  Also, obviously we can access the NHS in UK but what about would we need private health insurance.  Any information would be most welcome.  Patrick

Hi Paddy,

I'm very happy for you guys. If you ask me moving to Alicante is the right decision, but to me this is paradise on earth, so know that my opinion might not be that objective :)

It is definitely possible to get a good long term rental in Alicante. Here is what I use when renting long term:

#1 - Know what you want
First thing needed to be done is knowing what it is you guys want and detail it clearly (make sure you do this exercise together and find a common opinion). Write down whatever you can about what would suit you, how can you be happy, what will make you stay there for years to come and so on. And this has nothing to do with price, size, contract or square meters by the way - those are not things that will make you happy! Focus more on what you want and what your dreams and goals are (this is not an easy task) and figure out the the rest come later. More than 85% of your motivation, decision and end result is dependent on you knowing what it is you want!

#2 - Lower the monthly rent
Negotiate the terms of payment in your favor and save 10-20% on the rent by agreeing to pay 6 or 12 months up front. With cash on the table the Spanish more reluctant to negotiate with you - I think it's a cultural thing.

#3 - Get a good contract
You could use a gestor, but I would go through the "trouble" of having someone more education and market specific to handle your case. That means consulting a lawyer or responsible real estate agent. By good contract I mean one that is equally and mutually fair for both, with terms and agreement you and the owner are happy with. Good business and future relationships are always built on mutual ground. And for the love of god chose somebody who can offer you this in terms you can understand - English :)

#4 - Listings in general
Most listings on property portals and at many real estate agencies have the wrong specifications, they are outdated and/or are already rented out. We can agree to this being sloppy work, but it is how it is and you need to find the solution not focus on the problem. You need to contact an agent and ask them what they have available at that very moment. And then you have to see a lot of property to get the right impression and to take an informed decision. The real impression beats the online anytime!

As to your questions here is my take on them:

Getting registered in Spain: This is called N.I.E number and is not hard to get if you speak the language and your expectations are adjusted to the culture. Many expats are shocked over how the system works (and doesn't) but this is only because their expectations are wrong, in my opinion. If you do it yourself be ready to spend time and have a lot of patience. You can get it done through the foreign offices or on a police station - best to do the application closest to where you will rent.

Health insurance: Personally I have my private finances with La Caixa and their life, health and home insurances are to my taste and need. The banks have good solutions and for me it is easier having everything in one place. What bank it is besides the point - you need to find a good consultant in a bank who speaks English and who is result and service oriented. In Spain there are no great banks service-wise - only motivated people working in them, and thats the key. For example I'm only with this specific Caixa branch office because that person sits there and gives me a phenomenal service. I would change banks any day she would! In general the independent companies are a bit cheaper in my experience, but not much...

Anything else you need just ask!

I hope you find the answer (and more people chip in) to give you the solution, Paddy the best of luck to you!

TO ANYBODY COMMENTING FURTHER ON THIS POST AND ANY POST!!! Let's right now all agree to the fact that we can disagree and we all have different experiences... If you have something to say and something to contribute with don't hesitate to share it. Let's focus on giving the people seeking advice some freakin' answers, instead of cutting each others throats - save your negativity and bad vibes for somewhere else!!! The objective of a forum is for people to ask for many opinions and not the opinion of one. Thanks in advance! :cool:

Let's Get To Work!

Carsten Hansen - H&E

Hi Rog

I know the feeling. I spent a long time trying to get finances sorted but in the end just took off as I thought it was now or never. Andulucia is lovely and where I am in Almeria is just fine.

I hope you get over here soon.

Is there a section here for the Canary Islands?, I first arrived in Las Palmas in 1962, that was the start of a life long relationship with the archipelago.

Now retired and residing on one of the smaller and less visited islands.

Hi Boseley, yes there is indeed a forum for the Canary Islands.

Here is the link : Canary Islands forum

All the best,
Bhavna

Hi Carston, my name is Vivien.I am moving to Punta Prima, in September, and am looking to meet new friends.
My brother, and sister in law will be living quite close to where I am renting, but I dont want to be living in their pockets, and would lie to build up a circle of new friends..Where do I start?
I will be a young 64 yr old.
The area I am going to is Punta Prima Alicante,and I am going on my own ,with my little dog.
Thanking you, in anticipation

Vivien

Hi,

My name is Rhoni and I am Canadian.  My son (10) and I have been travelling for 3 yrs.  We have been in Barcelona for a wk and are here until the 22 July.

We are looking at exploring, photographing and hopefully hanging out with other expats.

all the best

Rhoni

Hello:

My name is Renee.  I am going to be moving to Girona in 2017(probably March).  I am retired from a government career here in the States but am working as a contractor.  I have a town-house here in Virginia which I will be selling around the first of the New Year.  I am taking a trip to Girona in September.....will arrive on September 7th and stay until September 15th looking at the different areas in Girona( as this is my second trip) and meeting the different real estate agents who have rental properties that I can look at.  I am also going to head towards the Costa Del Sol....Malaga.. after the 15th of September and stay in/near Marbella area for another 10 days (departing on September 26th to return back to the states) looking at rental properties as I am not sure which coast I will settle in come the New Year.  I know the Costa Del Sol region is very very hot in summer; thus, my reason to settle in the Girona area as the weather is lots cooler and this area of the world is ever so appealing as I also adore France which is quite close to Girona.  Once again, if you are going to be in either Girona or in/near Marbella in September and would like to meet for a drink and to discuss these topics, please let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Renee

Hi all.

My partner and I are currently researching Spain for relocation, for health reasons.  Main requirements being no extended cold damp season and minimal opportunity to catch chest infections.  A goldilocks zone really, not too hot, not too cold. :-)  Actually cold itself isn't a problem, its cold plus damp plus bugs.  Near water of some sort, whether sea, lake or river.  My partner works online so we wont be needing to hit the local job market, just need good broadband. We also need to be close to good healthcare. 

We have been travelling the med for 3 months now looking for the right place to call home. We are currently in Greece until September but for a number of reasons it's not right for us, neither were Cyprus or Crete.  Prior to that we were much further afield (having left UK in 2014) but we need to be in Europe for a few years.  It looks like Italy may have some of the same issues as Greece, economically etc, and France is too cold.  Island living didn't work so the Balearics are out.  So, we are hoping mainland Spain fits the bill. I am reading up about as many areas, microclimates etc as I can find and welcome suggestions!

Fingers crossed. This journey is wearing us out.

I read you did not like the Balearics, however if you venture beyond the pillars of Hercules, then to the south west lies the Fortunate isles, where we have the climate of eternal springtime, or so wrote Plato. Summers are rarely too hot, if we get a weeks rainfall per annum we have done well, and winters, goodness they are just not permitted.

Consider the Canary Islands, off the African coast, further south than Suez and on the same latitude as Florida.

Why not try a visit, we need quality tourists :-)

Hey!

I am Lisanne and living in Valencia for 3 months, while working for a relocation company for expats called Globexs. I am Dutch from origin, close to Amsterdam. Valencia is a amazing city to live in, and I am enjoying myself here a lot.

Hello boys and girls,
My name is Jose...I'm a Chicano from Las Vegas, NV and I will be moving to Valencia on Sept 1, 2016. I just spent two months in Buenos Aires teaching English to private students. I also teach English online, and will continue to do that in Valencia. I plan on looking for private students there, and looking for work at an English language school.
I did a study abroad program for my Spanish minor and lived in Alicante for a month, and I loved it...so, I am eager to get back to Spain. If everything goes as planned, I will be living in Valencia until June, and then, we'll see. I've always wanted to take cooking classes in Tuscany, so I am really considering heading to Florence for a month next summer. I am a paraplegic, but the world is becoming more adapted, so it is easier than what I went through years back. I've been many places with my chair, but Valencia is my next stop. I look forward to meeting you all. Cheers!🍷

Hi Viv,

Sorry for not answering before, but you got lost in the thread (well, my thread :)).

How to start up a local network of friends in Punta Prima? Well, I started out without knowing anybody. I joined up some local expat communities to meet people in the same situation as me (expats living in Spain). I chose to live in Alicante because it is the bigger coastal city still with Spanish culture left to learn from and suck in. I think the biggest mistake is when people come to Spain and after living here 15-20 years they don't speak the language nor go explore the culture, which can be hard in Punta Prima given more expats than Spanish.

Before I joined the expat networks or got in contact with smaller groups, I went to restaurants and asked anybody who spoke English, Scandinavian or German on advice on the area. Most people, both expats and Spanish, are super friendly to help. And most people who returns you striking up a conversation are interested in the same thing as you - getting to know people :)

I can recommend some other online communities, but the admins in here will see this as a violation, as the rule is not to gain business-wise through the advices we give each other. Yes, dear admin - some of us are actually in it to help others and the "gain" comes from being able to do just that :). So in order to not be "violent" in my recommendations, go search google for terms like 'Expat community Torrevieja' and you'll find some more forums situated down there, for sure. You can also search for group sports like golf, bridge, events or the like - good way to meet people as well...

I hope this helps you and I can see you're set to arrive in September which is just around the corner, so I wish you the very best of luck!!! Anything else let me know...

Let's Get To Work!

Carsten - H&E

Hi! My name is Jackie.  I am Belgian-Peruvian-Spanish and moved to Pego (Alicante) on January 2016.

I am looking for a job as a administrative assistant in any sector.

Pleased to meet you all :-)

xxx
Jackie

@ Skarlet > Thank you for your introduction. Please feel free to post your advert in the jobs in Poland section.

Thanks,

Priscilla

I used to live in Alicante and I've heard the beaches in Pegi are amazing. I am moving to Valencia, but when I go visit Alicante, perhaps you can show me around your area. Good luck finding a job...Suerte!

Closed