High schools in Guatemala

Could anyone comment on high schools in or near Guatemala City? I'd love to hear from someone with a teenager at Colegio Maya or another bilingual school.   Thanks!

Hi mes5123, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you information about High schools in Guatemala.

I wish you good luck
Christine

My sons attend the American School, and they love it there.  They're in elementary.  You can check their website about enrollment information--www.cag.edu.gt.  The Colegio Maya is well-regarded, but it isn't really bilingual, classes are basically in English.  It's located up on the highway to El Salvador.  The US Embassy webiste has a list of all private, bilingual schools.  For the sake of logistics, consider where you'll be living in Guate before you choose a school, or else choose the school before you decide where to live.

Thank you for your reply.  Is it difficult to find housing near the Colegio Maya?  We would want at least three bedrooms, preferably pet friendly.  The other school we are considering is Centro Escolar El Roble, an IB school located in Zona 11.  Thanks again.

Availability of housing near the Colegio Maya depends on how much you want to spend.  You should be able to find a 3BR condo or house for about $800-$1,000 pretty easily.  There's a website called InmoGuatemala.com that lists housing.  It's in Spanish.  The highway is called Carretera a El Salvador, and you'll want something near Km. 13.  Hope this helps.

Hi mes5123, :)

Concerning your accommodation search, you may view the Guatemala classifieds > accommodation section and post an advert there.
It might help you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Pbpres must live in a very expensive place!  I have lived in several places in Central & S. America and the USA and have never payed 1000.00 US Dollars per month even in the USA!!  And especially in Guatemala, honduraS, Nicaragua,, and mexico.  I just came back from 4 months in South America and livewd in nice places for only 500.00 and I thought that was high.  ppablo

You can find housing at lower prices in lots of places in Guatemala City, and you get what you pay for. The Colegio Maya is a relatively expensive school, and secure housing near it isn't very cheap.

Thanks again, pbpres. I'm more than willing to pay a premium to be close to the school.  Can I assume that at those prices there is good high-speed internet access?  And green-space for dog-walking? We will probably be moving our pets (a dog and cat) as well.  Thanks again for your help. It is hard to find information on living in (as opposed to visiting)Guatemala on the web, even in Spanish.

And thanks, Christine.  I'll check out the classifieds.

If you lease a house, you'll probably have to contract for internet/cable/telephone.  Be sure to ask.  Some places have better green spaces than others, especially some of the condos.  What you might consider is an extended-stay hotel for a month, that gives time to get a feel for the area, look at some different places, and not commit to anything too hastily.  It also lets you line up furnishings.  Unfortunately I'm not aware of any near the Colegio Maya, but will keep my eyes open.  We stayed in one in Zone 10, Oakland.