French Classes at AFLyon

I'm starting French classes on Monday (Feb. 1), and was just wondering if anyone else is or has? What should I expect? As someone who barely knows 10 words, I'm hoping I'm not too much of a beginner. Thoughts?

Since I've only been here a month, I haven't really met anyone yet, so I'm using the class as a way to be social as well as learn French. I'm a shy person overall, so it will be a good way to get me out of my comfort zone and meet others. For me, being in a group will be less awkward than just a one-on-one with a tutor. Some probably do prefer the other way around as it may be more engaging and get more out of it, but I feel I'll benefit more this way. The money isn't the issue, it's me not speaking French that is lol.

Haha, I fully agree, you're not in classes to meet, you're there to learn, but it doesn't hurt meeting new people. Thanks for the couchsurfing suggestion.

I have a tutor you could say, my partner is French, who speaks both French and English fluently. And after 6 years of being together, I still haven't learned much. Mainly because we don't want to spend our time together with him teaching me French rather than enjoying life. Which is why we decided when moving here, I could do classes while he's at work, and it won't compromise our time together.
Keeping in mind, everyone learns differently and one's tactics don't always work for another. A school environment has always worked better for me. I can always use him as extra support, if for some reason I need help with my classes.
I just would like to know how successful the classes were and if people enjoyed them.

Wow i like the part of enjoying life together than spending time teaching french! Another way to excuse myself! Same boat as you - french partner who speaks english.. It is just soooo comfortable speaking english! Haha

But i think at one point i need to speak french with him. Speaking is impt.

For classes, it is enjoyable depending on the school.

Mine was from the government and it was for free. It wasnt the way i expected it but i cant complain because it's free and obligatory. My classmates were mostly refugees and our levels arent the same.

Where do u study now?

Hello! I arrived here in Lyon last month and submitted my documents to OFFII during the week that I arrived. However, I still not have received any reply from them. Is this normal? How long did it take you before you were able to start your classes?

At Alliance Française of Lyon(AFLyon), it doesn't take any time at all. You go to the office, they enroll you for the classes you want and you start at the beginning of the month when the new class begins. I'm not sure what OFFII is, so I don't know.

OFFII is the immigration office. Maybe it's for nonEU/US immigrants

missyell93 wrote:

Hello! I arrived here in Lyon last month and submitted my documents to OFFII during the week that I arrived. However, I still not have received any reply from them. Is this normal? How long did it take you before you were able to start your classes?

I arrived july and submitted docs in ofii that month. Rcvd my convocations october. So just wait.

Aflyon is a private institution

Ofii is a government one for immigrants. All free

I was so worried because it was taking such a long time I thought that it wasn't normal and that I missed something. Thanks alot for the clarification! That really helped alot :) btw, I'm a Filipina too!

Oh ok, I see. I was born in Germany, moved to US when I was 3, and lived there with a green card, never giving up my German citizenship. So moving here and going to class at AFLyon wasn't a big process, well minus social security, but that's for everyone.
I've never heard of OFFII though, thanks for filling me in on that.

OfficialThomasSchubert wrote:

Oh ok, I see. I was born in Germany, moved to US when I was 3, and lived there with a green card, never giving up my German citizenship. So moving here and going to class at AFLyon wasn't a big process, well minus social security, but that's for everyone.
I've never heard of OFFII though, thanks for filling me in on that.

Well so you are still EU citizen :)

Ofii classmates I had are mostly refugees, russians, africans, and like me! Asians! Woot!

So, those who are European don't qualify for OFFII? Even if I don't speak French and am going to school to learn? I mean, I am capable of paying for the class, but who doesn't like getting it for free right?

So, those who are European don't qualify for OFFII? Even if I don't speak French and am going to school to learn? I mean, I am capable of paying for the class, but who doesn't like getting it for free right?

Well we are just assuming  :)

Not sure really.

But yeah a 90hr free lessons is also something plus we can avail another 90hr for "perfectionnement" BUT it is not that intensive like in AFlyon..

Aside 90hr we have health check, and two seminars - civique en france and vivre et employment en France.

For me it is like an orientation to LOVE the country hahaha! Like - hey so u choose france, so get to know france!

You don't need to go to the OFII Thomas as you are EU Citizen :)

Hello everyone, how are you all?

I came here last month, and I'm also waiting for the OFII result.
Ms. Katchie, it was very helpful the 90hr free french lessons and other informations you've shared.
Do you know what are the procedures on how to avail free lessons and other benefits of spouse french citizen?

Merci beaucoup. :-)

OFII is only for non-EU nationals.