Customs Question

Hi Guys, does anyone know if customs will allow you to bring mints, chocolates and homemade granola into the country?

Never heard of anyone getting stopped for that! How much quantity are you talking about?

That's encouraging, not a lot, enough to last for a month or so.

Put it in your checked luggage, no one will care.

Thanks, we like our treats :)

Not a problem.  Heck we just brought back good quality beef hotdogs (8 packages)...no problem.

Bob K

Now Bob you know that is not exactly legal......   Guy I worked for brought me  35 pounds of beef in his carry on.......

Excellent, I was wondering if I could bring a bit of beef, maybe a steak or two. I don't want to spend too much unless we get someone on a power trip that decides to confiscate everything!

You can probably go without beef for a month and not risk it.

I was sitting beside a lady on the plane who told me her suitcase was full of steaks and roasts etc.  She was flying into POP from Toronto.  I asked her what do customs say to you?  She told me she just hands them a $10.00 bill if they question her and they wave her through!  Just saying!

We had the most delicious Prime rib two weeks ago at a friends house who brought it in with her from Canada.

Bob K

Wonder if its the same lady?  She lives in a condo on Sosua Beach!

Nope different person.

Bob K

We just moved. Getting residency. Shipped 2 paintings through UPS and got insurance to cover $1000 now customs is saying  we have to pay 600 to get them. Any wayaround this ? That's more than half of what they areworth and for our own home.

ANYTHING with declared value of $200 or mor, you pay what they decide. Too bad you weren't able to read the threads relating to customs. Ifyou waited to ship them in your duty free container, no duty. You need to read the threads about shipping with residence. Sorry for your misfortune.

Wow this sucks for you guys.  So they are using both what they perceive is the value and your insured value to  hit you up.  You are going to pay  18% tax plus it looks like 40% duty.  Do you have a broker working with you to help or doing this yourself?

So just to confirm they should have waited until they had residency then they could have shipped a one-time container duty-free correct?

That would have been better!  And you dont have to do a whole container either.

Same experience that I had. Had to ship all my stuff before having duty free (3 pallets) and had to pay duty even on old clothes. Was too expensive to put in storage and then wait until government to process residency  and get cedula . If you can do without until you qualify for duty free shipment,  do so. Also lots of info on threads here regarding shipping. My shipper didn't have  a clue although the agent here tried help - I think....