Considering moving to Panama please advise

I am considering moving to Panama either opening a tattoo studio or perhaps Mexican Restaurant.  Would prefer not to live in Panama City. Would really appreciate any advise from others on this forum.  Thanks!

Hello KarienG,

Welcome on board  :)

To start with, i suggest that you go through the articles in the Living in Panama guide, you will get valuable infos concerning the first steps of expatriation.

You may also drop some of your precise questions so that members can provide you with some feedbacks.

Are you looking for another more suitable town/region to live in ?

Best of luck
Bhavna

Things I wish people had told me:  there is no official mail service (therefore no eBay), you need a truck or SUV due to condition of the roads, there is no municipal trash pick up and there is a 5% real estate transfer tax.   Do your own research and don't rely on International Lying.

That does not describe the Panama we visited at all. In fact, we were surprised at the good infrastructure.

I guess that may depend on what part of Panama you're in.

I don't know about "describing" it but those facts are indisputable.   And I did not mention the power outages when the electric goes out and the water does at the same time unless its well water because otherwise the electric pump will not work either.    Many poor cattle died horribly this year because of the draught.   There are no guardrails on the highways, just deep gutters and I have seen many a car go off the road and become disabled/broken axle.   The temperature is usually around.91 and its quite humid.  But please open a.good Mexican restaurant near me, there is such a lack of good restaurants.

I don't like Mexican food.

I found excellent roads and highways throughout Chiriqui, better overall than in my local area in Ontario Canada, and more retail choices. This was a bit of a surprise when in a supposedly third world nation. When I move to Boquete my lifestyle will experience a significant upgrade. I refer to the choices in restaurants, retail, public transit, available health care services, roads, waste pickup, water to the home, weather and climate, I could g on. So when I read these kinds of complaints I chuckle and roll eyes. :)

Steve,

I'm also considering the possibility of moving to Panama and Boquette is one of the places I've considered.  Would you mind telling us more about the area, especially once you get moved in?  I'm also very interested in the broadband Internet options, especially the speed and price, as I will definitely need that and will be a make/break part of my decision.

Oh, by the way, I do like Mexican food, as well as others.   :)

David

We thought Boquete and surrounding area had everything to offer except perhaps low real estate prices. But rather than rely on someone who is a one-time visitor, spend some time and ask questions about those exact issues on the local forums - the main ones being these two warring sites:

www.boquetening.comwww.chiriqi.life

But the only way to really know is to actually visit. The upside is that a vacation in Panama, exploring the areas that interest you, is a terrific vacation no matter the end result. You will find, I expect, that the coastal areas are wonderfully hot and humid (for a visit) and the highlands are wonderfully breezy and temperate (for staying!).

If you want the same level of lifestyle as typical downtown USA, maybe stay home or move to Florida. :) I doubt that is what you are looking for though!

Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm just getting started looking around.  My fiance is from Peru.  I started thinking about Panama because she said she likes Panama.  She would know more about it than I would, but I intend to do as you said and visit when possible.

What I'm looking for is somewhere a bit less expensive than here in the USA.  I live in a small town in north Texas, so I don't need to be in the hustle/bustle all the time, but also don't want to be in the sticks, either.

I currently work from home, so that is the reason for my Internet request.  I'll be talking with my fiance and we'll determine together what we want to do and where we want to go.  Thanks for your help.

David

Thanks for the warning about Ontario.  Seriously.

You sound like  you know little about your northern neighbour. Seriously. Inform yourself about the world around you, and about conditions in much of rural North America generally.

hi Steve love your post on road conditions in Ontario. Being from Winnipeg i agree it is like driving in a 3rd world country most of the time. I remember when GST was supposed to look after infrastructure and other things but it seems we spend less and less on roads. As you know our winters are  brutal -33 today !  The Vikings game was balmy compared to here !My wife and i are planning a visit to Panama and Costa Rica down the road and look forward to experiencing  Central America. Cheers,

Have to agree with others's responses. I don't know where you where you live Tough1, but to make general statements and basically say that  is the way it is everywhere in Panama, is incorrect. Yes, it is clear from your post that you must not have done much research and that is a shame since I am sure that you are not happy here. Let me give my experiences to what you were surprised about:

1. Yes there is a General Mail Delivery. At least  here in Chiriqui, you will need to pick it up at the facility closest to you and I know many that have done this without any problems. However, I have not used this method but have items delivered from eBay, Amazon, etc. all the time. Yes, it will cost you more but I have never had a problem and order ( well right now I am waiting for 3 deliveries) so quite a bit in what will be 4 years next month.

2. Where we are? Yes, we need a high clearance vehicle or at least it is recommended even though I have seen tiny compact cars on our road that is in pretty bad condition. If you were living in PC, no you would not need an SUV or a truck or for that fact, most of  Chiriqui - assuming you are located off a major road.

3. Where we are there isn't garbage pickup but there most certainly is in other places! Just the other day, I was waiting for what looked like a garbage truck (at least the ones I remember from the US) and watching 4 men haul plastic bags into the back of the truck - that is what I would call garbage pickup. Plus, houses have metal cages in front with plastic bags in them - garbage collection...  oh and then there was the place we rented before building our house too.

4. Not necessarily an automatic 5% transfer tax on real estate either. Many houses have tax exemptions - that could've up to 20 years as well.

5. We are in agreement there - don't rely onInternational Living!

I believe you had some other information in you nor reply but I could blow a few wholes through that as well but I think everyone gets the idea 😀.

Hi David,

You may or may not find the cost of living less but if you continue to work from here and are out of the US > 330 days/yr., you are exempt from paying the IRS income taxes (social security will still apply).

This isn't just Panama specific, it's anywhere up to approx. the first $100K. But if you are making that kind of money LOL, than you won't have to be too concerned on whether is costs less here 👍

Thank you, Here for life.

The cost of living may not exactly be less than the US (I live in Texas near Dallas), but it may turn out to be a little cheaper in terms of regulation.  Seems like more and more things are getting to be regulated, which in turn, drives up price.

I may still need to pay American taxes, as my income will be derived from the US, which is also the reason I will need a good steady broadband Internet connection.  I haven't made any decisions yet, but am in the process of doing my homework.

Thanks,

David

Moved from Atlanta over a year ago to here, Coronado in beach community. (Interior) Any questions about this area? We only have one Mexican restaurant.

Come down for a two week visit and kick the tires.

Do you know if you want to live in a city, beach area, mountain, or rural area? That would narrow things down for you a great deal.

All you have heard in these answers is true according to each person's experiences in Panama.  I have lived in 4 different places in Panama in my 19 years in Panama.  All have their pros and cons.  Besides tattoos and a Mexican restaurant you need to state what is important to you for day to day living.  Then others can help you narrow down places that would work for you.

Hi
Wow!
That would be super cool and you would do really well!

There are places in the city to get tattoos but I don't think there is anything near us at the beaches...

Where are you coming from?

Have you been here before?

What would you like advice on?

Lx

A number of people here in El Valle have commented that we need a Mexican restaurant.
Jon

Hi again David,
If your income is from investments and trading ( yes I do that too), then you are correct - you will not be exempt unless you can get creative and establish a business - that would be considered self-employment income.

However, the other "half" of me works from here as a consultant for US companies and that income is exempt from Federal income taxes but not the self-employment tax. In fact, I had a nice call ( I mean that sincerely) with the IRS yesterday - I am just fine in fact, too conservative and have decided to amend last year's return!

Hi Steve,
It may have been me that gave you those sites .. Maybe not. Let's just say that  the local forums are in a state of transition. They truly are better for people who already live here or hey check in once in a while but be prepared to find it not helpful in making a decision to move here.

I find this a much better resource for those checking out options.

HereForLife wrote:

Hi again David,
If your income is from investments and trading ( yes I do that too), then you are correct - you will not be exempt unless you can get creative and establish a business - that would be considered self-employment income.

However, the other "half" of me works from here as a consultant for US companies and that income is exempt from Federal income taxes but not the self-employment tax. In fact, I had a nice call ( I mean that sincerely) with the IRS yesterday - I am just fine in fact, too conservative and have decided to amend last year's return!

I work for a software company helping our customers with technical questions regarding the software we build.  I don't think that would qualify as consulting.  However, if it does, all the better.  I work from home, so that is why a good and stable broadband Internet connection is a must.  In the US, I live in the country and able to get a good Internet connection.  I'm not sure I'd be able to live in the country or small town in Panama and have broadband, but I'll find out as I continue my search.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

David