I will take any info/advice you can give me!

Heyy All,
I hope you're all doing well.

From the posts I have read, I very much enjoyed reading about your experiences and look forward to reading the rest.

My story is probably slightly different, it all started when I was 7. I was on holiday in Spain, Sotogrande with my uncle and his family at their villa. He had planned to take us into Gibraltar for a day trip up to see the monkeys, which I was extremely excited about because being a city girl, had never seen wild, free animals before. Admittedly when I got up to the monkeys I was soo scared, but it was still an amazing experience.

I then remember walking down main street, seeing people smile at me and greeting one another and I was totally shocked because that is something you never get where I live!!
Then walking into casemates square I saw what to me felt like a million giant people (I was only 7) and huddled up to my family in fear that I would be pushed and barged out of the way, but once again surprisingly not! At this point, I just thought the people were great.

Throughout the day I just remember falling more and more in love with the country, I remember coming home and bragging to my parents with such excitement about how amazing Gib was and from that day I did not stop!

Since then I have visited again a few times for day trips when over in Spain, then coincidentally I met my bestfriend online, who happened to be from Gibraltar (Honestly a total coincidence!)
I then went on a weeks holiday in 2013 to stay with her and her family, (expats) and staying for the week really did open my eyes to how much I needed to live there. So when I came home I started to plan my move.

My plan was to finish my 2 year childcare course at college and as long as I was not in a committed relationship, at a stable job or both I would move as soon as I had the chance...however sadly that did cause some issues with my parents, as their youngest, they weren't happy about me leaving, especially my dad as I grew up a daddy's girl.

November 3rd 2014 I met the love of my life (Ollie) and started my new permanent job (Busy, but memorable day!)
This obviously put a hold on the move, I then worried about whether Ollie would like Gib enough for us to move and then if so when, etc...

We planned a holiday out there for July 2015 because I wanted to show Ollie what an amazing place Gib was and still is to me and after settling in, he thankfully told me that he loved it there and would consider moving and we checked in with some estate agents for information.

When we got back to Heathrow we both looked sooo glum, neither of us wanted to step off of that plane and from then on we started planning our move.

We are now in the process of saving up, working extra hours so hopefully we will be able to move quicker, emailing more estate agents and possible job employers all once again for more information and we are hoping to be packing up and moving by January 2017.
Ollie is looking to join the police and I am looking to work with a lovely team of practitioners at a nursery and then in how ever many years to come opening my own in Gib!

Sorry for the story, I was just so excited to share my story with you all and I cannot wait to update you in the near future!

I love Gibraltar, Gibraltarians and everything else about Gibraltar. England shouldn't get Gib back, tbqh they do not deserve it back (I said they as I already count myself as a Gibraltarian! :heart:

Thank you for reading, especially if you got this far! :D

Hey Nick, what is you BnB called? My boyfriend and I are looking to move over in a year or so and he'll be joining the police and I'll be working in a nursery.
However before we move he'll have to fly over for a selection training weekend and is looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay for a week as he'll also be over looking at some homes.
Only looking for a BnB or something for the week but have only found 2-3 online so far.
Thanks. Jess

Hi Jess,

If you go on the BnB website called Air BnB and search for a single room in Gibraltar you will see my listing, it's the one with my spectacular balcony view of the blue sea of Marina bay with the rock in the background. That's got all my photos, if you want to book you can avoid their booking fee by booking direct with me. I'll try sending you a link to my Facebook pages too, but this website might delete it. You can phone me, get my Gib number from international directory enquiries, again website might delete phone numbers so won't put it here.
Nicholas Osborne, Watergardens.

Wow thanks for that! I just looked it up and the view is amazing at all angles. Will have to discuss things with my boyfriend and will be back in touch closer to the time. Probably through Facebook!
Thank you so much!
Jess

Hi Alan,
I will take any info/advice you can give me!

I have wanted to move to Gib since I was 7 years old, have been on numerous holidays to Gibraltar since and have loved every single one.

My boyfriend and I went on holiday there in July 2015 and he really liked it there too and said that he would like to move there. So we went to collect information at the estate agents and some locals and then when we came back home started to plan everything.

However he is now having second thoughts about us leaving as he is not too sure if he'll find work/enjoy the life style out there as I know a few people who are from out there and from them and other online reviews he has heard that it is quite a boring place (I obviously beg to differ) and is more for people in their 30s +, however I also have a family friend who moved out there when she was 21 and has never looked back and is now in her 40s.

I was just wondering if you could give some pros and cons of moving and living in Gib as some of the ones you see online, you dont know if they're coming from expats or just holiday makers.

Also a little bit of info about how you moved and if it was easy/hard.
I don't want to force him to move but I want him to know the information and understand that it has come from someone who has recently done the move, to help him with his decision of either yes or no as it is something we've already fully planned and started saving up for.

Thanks, I look forward to your response,
Jess

Hi Jess

I was lucky enough to have a job lined up before moving to Gib which was of huge benefit. Moving here without a job is a different situation. The employment market here is not the same as in the UK and finding well paid jobs is tough. Saying that, if you are looking for bar jobs etc. then you may find that easier.

On the positive side, I love Gib. I used to have to commute to work, now it is a 5 minute walk.
The weather is fantastic if you like it warm.
The people are friendly.
There is plenty of sports activity if you are so minded. There is a sports stadium here and plenty of different clubs to join. Then of course there is the water if you like sailing etc.
Free buses for Gib residents.
Great views from the top of the Rock.
Low income tax rates.

On the downside:
Bureaucracy here is a nightmare.
A lot of shopping items are more expensive than the UK even though there is no VAT here. Cigarettes and alcohol are cheap, pretty much everything else is more expensive.
On-line shopping is a pain as the postage costs are high to Gib.
It is limiting if you don't have a car to travel around spain.
Renting and buying costs are ridiculously high here in Gib. A lot of people rent in Spain and commute. This is an option if you don't have kids to worry about.
Language is sometimes a barrier, even here in Gib they speak a lot of Spanish.

My advice to you would be to try and line a job up before coming here. This is difficult as there are so few recruitment agencies so the best bet is to look on employers' websites and start emailing them.

Best of luck.
Alan

Hello everyone,

A new thread has been created from some of your posts on the Gibraltar forum so that you may better interact and of course because the New member thread is dedicated only to the introduction of new members.

All the very best
Bhavna