Where can I find American products and coffee?

Hello,

I have been in Belgium for 3 days and I am in dire need of a super large, american cup of java! Where can I find it in Brussels?

Also, just as when I lived in the US I always saw those ethnic mini-markets, I was wondering if there's anything similar in Brussels with American products...

I am loving my experience in Europe but I do miss home and could definitely use some comfort food/products :)

Thanks in advance!

m.elias

thanks for share

Trying to make your life in Belgium a duplicate of your life in the US will not work well, and will only end up making you uncomfortable here. You're not in the US, don't try to make it into it. You're in a wonderful country - grasp it! There's very very little from the US that you can't find a perfectly suitable Belgian version of. Accept what this great country has to offer you, and you will be much happier here.

And no, the US is not ethnic and there are no "American markets" in Europe.

Is there something in particular you are looking for? Aside of coffee (I don't know about Brussel but here in Antwerpen there is a Starbucks). Maybe I or others can recommend you something you can find here that will work...

There is a Starbucks in the Zaventem (Brussels) airport.  There are only 2 in Belgium including the one in Antwerp mentioned by Melby.  There is an American Store in Antwerp.  Below is a link to their web site.

theamericanfoodstore.com/who.html

Hope it helps.

Thank you Melby and Athovda for your replies. While in the US, I've always sort of looked down at immigrants who lived inside their little communities and refused embrace the new culture and all the great things the US had to offer. I've always vowed that I wouldn't be like that, but little did I know.... I am EXTREMELY open to experiencing and incorporating all things Belgian into my life. It's just that sipping a large coffee for 15-30 min every morning became one of my guilty pleasures and now this pleasure has been severely abbreviated by the size of the Belgian coffee. Unfortunately, I won't be able to drive to the airport or to Antwerp every morning to buy my coffee, I'll just have to adapt, but thank you guys for the tips, I'll definitely stop by at the Belgian starbucks whenever I'm in the area. other than coffee, I was not craving anything specific, I think I just wanted to surround myself w/ sthg familiar to help the pain of being away from everyone I love subside for a minute....
Thanks again for the tips, it's great to know I can count w/ such helpful people who are just a click away!

Ah I forgot about the airport. That damn Starbucks was the only thing open when we were stuck there for hours in the middle of the night returning home. heh.

m.elias wrote:

I've always sort of looked down at immigrants who lived inside their little communities and refused embrace the new culture and all the great things the US had to offer. I've always vowed that I wouldn't be like that

Exactly. Don't cut yourself off. Belgium is wonderful. If you try to make it like the home you knew, not only will you not succeed, because it simply isn't possible, but you'll only be making it worse by trying to convince yourself of something that just isn't there, and being more depressed when it doesn't happen. All the stuff you need, you can find here. So much about this country is so much better than the US! Don't dwell on what you can't have, revel in what you can!! Better food for better prices, better transportation, better opportunities for seeing & experiencing the world and other cultures, etc etc!

I'm not sure what you're here for, or how long, but I promise you if you let yourself enjoy it and stop thinking about what was, it'll be a wonderful experience.

When i was in Brussels, i saw some British (maybe American too?) food products in the Waterstone Bookshop, close to the Nieuwstraat/La rue neuve.
users.skynet.be/waterstones/info.html

I agree with Melby, i think it's better that you try to find alternatives or to cook/make things on your own.

looks like i'm going to become a regular in Starbucks unless theres any other good coffee shops anyone can recommend i do need to find a nice coffee shop to go to once i'm there.

I would love if anyone can share locations of coffee shops similar to Starbucks in the 1950/1200 codes (east Brussels)?

m.elias I know exactly what you are talking about! But I also agree with Melby. I would love to substitute Starbucks with another coffee shop, but for now I will have to do the trial and error game to find one that I would enjoy and like.

I had a good, large coffee at Le Pan Quotidien. I would make it my new place, except for the fact that it is quite expensive for me right now (i had a lot of expenses moving in, etc) so, for now, it will be my "special treat" :)

I just love coffee shops lol although i am worried about milk in them as i've learned i only like particular types of milk there like bio milk

m.elias medium size late at Starbucks at the airport is 4.50E, the small one is 3.90, and yes, it is just like the Starbucks in the US, but surely twice as expensive... Le Pan Quotidien is not so close to where we are, otherwise I would love to try it out. I know what you meant by all the moving expenses and I agree, plus Brussels is quite expensive as well.

It is interesting that the milk here is sold out of the refrigerators and it does not taste or smell like regular milk at all. I wonder what do they make it from - condensed milk?! Even the bio milk is sold on a regular shelf. There is some milk we found in Carrefour that is in the fridge and by the exp. date I would say it is real milk, plus it tastes like such.

So far I've found for shelf milk those in plasic bottles r best not much taste difference anyway . I have had Carrefour before but I'm sure we got it off a shelf from a store in leuven

american clothes?

valbona wrote:

american clothes?

Are you kidding me? The USA does produce very, very little if any clothes these days, and usually everything sold in the US is made in China, India, Indonesia, etc. What do you mean by "american clothes"?

WorldExpat wrote:

It is interesting that the milk here is sold out of the refrigerators and it does not taste or smell like regular milk at all. I wonder what do they make it from - condensed milk?! Even the bio milk is sold on a regular shelf. There is some milk we found in Carrefour that is in the fridge and by the exp. date I would say it is real milk, plus it tastes like such.

I'm guessing you mean "isn't" sold from refrigerators? It is still "real milk" (I assume by "real" you are referring to cow milk), and they sell the exact same stuff in the US as well. That it can remain with a longer shelf-life and be non-refrigerated is simply due to the pasteurization/processing.

I can't really comment on the taste since I do not care for the taste of milk regardless, and only tolerate it with chocolate/in cooking/baking, but I have no problem with the taste of using the shelved milk for those things.

hannahhadman wrote:

looks like i'm going to become a regular in Starbucks unless theres any other good coffee shops anyone can recommend i do need to find a nice coffee shop to go to once i'm there.

There's tons of coffee shops around, surely you can find something good at others than Starbucks?

Hopfuly with nice milk yayayy

lol. I have no idea about that, but like I said, I do use the milk in sauces, mac & cheese, etc, and have never had any issue with the taste of it there. Do you only drink coffee on the go? You can always try different milks at the stores and just bring the coffee back home and use some of the kind you like in it. And of course, you can always get a coffee maker at home (those Senseo/Nespresso/etc things are quite popular and supposed to be very good) and use whatever type you like in it, and bring it wherever you're going in a travel mug! =)

Yeah coffe is usealy on the go with skimmed lattes at home its all tea lol I have found one brand of milk i like its werid how one little thing can taste so different. Like the bread although I do love the bread in Belgium all fresh

hannahhadman, I think the bread in Belgium is awesome. But I am being quite subjective here, cause it is my kind of bread.

Melby, I do understand that it is pasteurized, but still, the smell and taste of it, is quite different from regular cow milk, and btw on one of those shelf bottles it is indicated that it does contain E... x 2, so it is not just pasteurized mild that is inside, it has chemicals as well. To me it smells and tastes like the powder milk, nothing even close to 'real cow' milk. I know it is sold in the US as well this sort of milk with long shelf life, but I never bought it. I am glad there is also regular, not full of chemicals milk here as well. And when you say there are coffee shops analogous to Starbucks, would you please share some names? I know you have been here for a while now and I enjoy your posts and tips very much, for which I thank you enormously!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if any are like Starbucks (frankly I hate that place, I went to Caribou for my hot chocolate, and everyone I know *much* prefers Dunkin Donuts for their coffee!! lol), all I know is there are many coffee shops around, as well as places that are not coffee shops but cafes and such (that do "to go" orders and therefore also have coffee for taking with you), and the Belgians have got on for many years prior to Starbucks infiltration ;) so I'm sure there must be plenty of good ones! haha. However, I think the stuff tastes quite horrible, so I'm not of any use in giving reviews of any of these. :P

As for the milk, cow's milk is bad for humans anyhow (we have quite the time digesting it, it really is hard on our bodies), maybe you (all of you who dislike the shelved cow-milk, that is) could try looking into soy milk, or rice, almond, oat, etc, milk? I imagine the coffee shops must also offer at least one of the non-cow varieties of milks, right? Always worth a look!

Is there Caribou coffee shops here????????????? Wow, I hope you know where there is one in Brussels or at least close by!!! Please share if you know. I like Caribou coffee as well. It has a bit of a stronger taste, but still nice. BTW, I am late/cappuccino fan, not really coffee fan. As far as my experience with Starbucks and Caribou, no other than regular milk, skim of course as well.

I'm pretty positive they offer soy milk at all those places in the US. So I can only imagine that at least some of the ones here would do the same.

haha, no, unfortunately I do not think Caribou has crossed the ocean. Maybe you should petition them to come over, give Starbucks some American competition! ;)

lol wonders is its the same donut place as we have here with those cute tiny donuts. lol

Worldexpat i totally agree with u about milk it tastes like uht or some soya milks but the brand i mentioned earlier is ok still a bit odd but an improvement. I like proper lattes and its just gonna be a case of finding a place that dose them with the milk that doesn't have much of a weird after taste

And in all honesty I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks my fave 2 coffee-shops in england are Nero and Costa Coffee as they have a nice selection of tea coffee hot chocolate and cakes and i only really like lattes in Starbucks. So in Belgium its going to be a mini mission of mine

Yes, I do like Costa's but not so much Nero. I find the late at Nero to be way too strong and have to always say "weak please"! But I have not seen any Costa or Nero here yet.

Yup one of the mangers of neros said just ask for one shot in it as I had the same thing went to costa today and had a gingerbread latte

Hi there,
I don't know if it will be of any help since the shop isn't in Brussels but if once you decide that you must buy American products than I suppose the most complete one is: theamericanfoodstore.com/contact.html

You can always call or mail them, give your credit card details and depending on the order they can ship it to you ;)

Good luck on the search and if you find anything please share!
What I would love to eat is the Buble Yum Ice Cream and Pork Rinds for Microwave :D

A.

I can understand the need for some stuff like when i move im bringing a huge supply of tea with me lol

...there is tea here... >_>

Yeah but not tetlys its all lipton ive found and its good for ice tea but not the same sadly

Liptons is shit, it's not real tea. I will just have to make my own sweet tea.

Does anyone have any idea for finding Mtn.Dew near Brussels? I've searched alot of places and can't seem to find it. I know that the AmericanStore has it, but I don't have a car or feel like riding the train and back just for Mtn.Dew.

Also the milk man or diary man has amazing milk

For anyone who wants there is an American grocery store in Antwerp:
theamericanfoodstore.com/contact.html
also there is an huge British grocery store close to Brussels
stonemanor.uk.com
There are the links for the stores.
They are great

Thanks

If you have the connections to get in you could use the Exchange on the american bases to get US products... The problem is, you need the connections :)

does anyone have a link to a guide for the symbols on the microwave oven?  I am from the Unites States and not familiar with this sort of dual appliance. I am use to having my microwave and oven seperate. there are about 7 symbols on mine and I am afraid I only know how to use the microwave but I would very much like to figure out the other symbols.  thanks.

Can you describe what you're referring to, or take a photo or something? I'm sure I could help if I could see what you're referring to; we have a convection oven/micro too, and it was my first experience with them also.

Well, if you all coffee lovers haven't found yet... it is here... In Brussels Central Station they opened Starbucks!!! I am delighted and have to say that despite the location, I love it. So for all of you that like to have a large cup of coffee that is tasty (excluding the milk), and enjoy the same taste as you did in the USA by Starbucks, well it arrived in Brussels. Sure the one at the airport has been there, but who would go to the airport just to get a cup of coffee?!

Drink up folks and enjoy it. I couldn't wait for them to open this one and I hope soon they will have  more around the city.

Dear elias
I am American too and Ive been here for 2 years now and I love the experience. I also understand what its like to be away from home but you will soon find out how those little things gradually disappear. Now when i go back home I know Im going to miss a lot of things Belgium offers. The other day I was at Carrefour in Woluwe (really big Super Walmart-like store)and found a small spot of American products, it was just a rack but I saw a few things that will make you feel at home. As for coffee, I am hispanic so I think any American or European style coffee is naturally inferior (both coffee industries get their beans from Latinamerica anyway). I buy my coffee back at home (Puerto Rico) and have my parents send it. But, if you have a coffee machine you can get American style coffee from Delhaize. Or, as others have done, you can try and get used to the European coffee, good luck! As others say here there is nothing American you cant find a substitute for in Europe, oftentimes it ends up being better too. Im afraid you wont be able to truly appreciate where you are unless you really try to accommodate to your surroundings. Remember those immigrants you used to criticize, be mindful not to be worse than them. It annoys the locals and ruins the great opportunity you have to develop and open mind.