Fiance visa / K-1 visa

I'm a US citizen and I'm interested in marrying a Dominican woman.  How do you prove a valid relationship when applying for a K-1 or fiance visa?  How long does the whole process take?

Thank you.

First welcome to the forums.  It is NOT easy to prove its a real relationship and it does take time. That said my experience is zilch so I will let others answer you in detail.

Thank you, Planner. Is there anyone on here who's been through the process of getting a US fiance visa. It's my understanding a fiance or K-1 visa is the easiest to get...it can be obtained in 5 to 10 months. Is this true? What does it take to show you have a valid relationship?

THANK YOU.

I met few people going through the process and applying for visa to different countries, not only USA and most of them took a minimum 1 year, some of them few years. A friend of mine, a US citizen who lived and worked here in DR for few years, was married to a Dominican guy for 2 or 3 years, they had a child already when they applied for his visa. He also had a job offer in USA. And still, they had to wait for over a year to get his visa to move to USA.  Another friend of mine from UK did the same with her husband and took them 3 years to get him to UK. I know K-1 is a bit different and of course each case is different, but I wouldn't expect to be done very quickly.

I did the K1 visa about 6 yrs ago and the entire process took 8 months. I used an immigration attorney  to cross the t's and dot the i's. I did not use an immigration attorney for my wife's citizenship process. I feel the attorney was well worth it when doing the K1 process. Photos,  emails, a hand written letter of how we met and proof of trips, phone calls, etc were documented to prove a valid relationship.  "Dominicans to the USA" is a good site for useful timelines and advice from people going thru and have been thru the process!  Good luck!

Pmey good post and a positive experience.  Unfortunately not so for everyone.  It just takes one missed dotted I or non crossed T to set the process back.

Bob K

Pmey27, how long did you know your wife before you applied for a k1 & is there an age difference between the 2 of you? How many trips to the DR did you make before applying, etc.? Can you give me more details?

I knew my wife for over 3 years and had spent 2 months each summer down there with her and also got to know her family.  I also spent xmas vacations there and spring vacation there. Being a teacher the vacations allowed me time there.  There is a big age difference with me being 55 and her 27.  We now have a 3 year old and a 6 month old daughters and are happily married!

pmey27   Congrats! It seems like  you took your time and did it right.  A rare success story and good to hear.

Bob K

Congrats PMEY!  We love hearing success stories!

I will be down in the Dom Rep Dec 20th for a couple weeks then for 2 months this summer...maybe I will meet some of you in person! Gypsy is my surrogate dad and was the best man in my wedding and also godfather of Madison , my 1st born!

Pmey what part of the country are you in?

Bob K

I live in Miami. My wife is from a large barrio north of Santo Domingo, Los Alcarrizos. I spent most of my time in the Sosua area but now spend the vacations in Los Alcarrizos with my wife's family.
I have 2 and a half yrs of teaching left then plan on moving to right now on my minis the Cabrera area. Schooling will be important for my daughters.

Have you picked an area to settle in eventually?

Bob K

Bob, I'm leaning towards Cabrera.

Not a bad choice at all.

Bob K