What do you like the most in Norway?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Norway?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Norway and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

i come from a country that is overpopulated - unimaginable heavy traffic, long queue lines,  garbage everywhere, pollution in air, water and land - these are all normal in my everyday life... AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PEOPLE, everywhere is crowded..

what i love about norway is its all in reverse to what im used to.. the country is really clean.. i never seen the sky as blue as it is in Norway - and it was an ordinary day! the air is clean.... probably with the ratio of trees to people, trees are winning... they are very efficient with their waste management that in my first time in norway, my then-bf-turned-husband had to teach me what trash goes on where,  lol.! when u go to the stores,  u can go do ur shopping and be on ur way home in under half an hour.. in my country, half the time u spend shopping is being on queue just to pay-up.. lots of hours in my adult life wasted standing on queue lines or sitting in traffic.... but norway or at least the part of norway i've been, its not normal to be standing on queue, and my husband's definition of "rush-hour" on the road is a fairly fast traffic flow in my country.. also norway is a very beautiful country,   for a nature-lover,  this is paradise! and in norway,  3 is really a crowd -- like literally.!  lol.. tho it can be lonely sometimes, if you're used to a real crowd..

norway have a bigger land area than the Philippines, but norway have population of 5 million people and my country is 98 million... go figure
:P

Pheebz has described very well what there is to like about Norway. I don't live there, but I have Norwegian grandchildren who do - and I believe it's a wonderful country for them to grow up in. (Living in the Caribbean, I'm not crazy about the cold - but then you can't have everything, can you?) I like it that the whole of Norway seems to be a conservation area. It's not, of course, but that's the way it seems. All those forest cabins, with strict rules governing what can and can't be done with them. My son has just bought 60 acres halfway up a mountain that's mostly trees and with a few rough barns and mini-cabins. There were six of us sleeping in the main cabin (50 square metres) when we grandparents visited in July, and we all revelled in the freedom. (I blogged about it the other day. Those interested can check my website.)

My son is a bit of a hippy, still, and the country suits him down to the ground. He's lived there for 12 years now, and loves his children far too much to leave. When they're adults - who knows? But for the time being, he's not going anywhere. And I wouldn't either, in his place!

I have not been there  yet but acording to what i heard from friend, people from norway is very friendly.
The  city is nice.I dream to live there one day.

I lived in Norway for about a year during my college year abroad. It was in 2005, in Halden (a small town close to the Swedish border) and I loved everything about it. I come from an unnecessarily big and crowded city (Istanbul), and apart from Norway being more expensive, there were no disadvantages. If you live closer to Sweden, even the weather isn't so bad. I visited other countries, as well as Norwegian cities like Oslo, Sarsborg, and Frederikstad frequently. Traveling to Sweden and other countries was cheaper than traveling inside Norway.

The people were nice and friendly, I loved the clean air and water, and living in a small town with the option to travel abroad whenever you wanted was heavenly. I enjoyed having no traffic and the personal space. I made a lot of friends, both Norwegian and non-Norwegian.

I've been back several times since then, and I hope to move to Oslo someday. Oslo is much bigger, and I think it is the perfect size as a city. Everything you want to do is within reach, yet there's always so much to do. I was most recently there in March this year.

There were days I walked with an empty soul on a long long street after boring working days. There were days I rolled myself in the blanket of coldness and loneliness. It was a hard time for me when I just went out of a long term relationship with a person I thought could be forever. He's gone and left me a shot in the heart that I did not know what the purpose of living meant to me. Then I threw myself into lots of work day by day; and that was how my life moved on.
Until one day, I accidentally clicked a video link leading me to the magic lights staying above Scandinavian Sea - Northern Norway. The scenes were so breathtaking that my eyes chilled the whole video. Then I felt like those healing lights were what I needed. So till now, I can say, I save every penny of my earning to make a big trip to see the lights as my unique purpose of the life.