Cost of living in the Palau

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in the Palau.

Don't forget to mention where in the Palau you are living.

How much does it cost to live in the Palau?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

My partner has applied for a job with Australian Volunteers Abroad in Palau.  I am interested to know the cost of living - food - availability - cost of electricity - rent per week or month of two bedroom place.  I want to get an idea of how it will compare with our current costs.  Is it possible to buy a car and what is the cost of owning and running one a opposed to using public transport/taxi.  I would imagine fuel is expensive.  Thanks - any help would be much appreciated.

Hi misslynnie,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to gvie you info about the cost of living in the Palau.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Again, I've been able to find just bits and pieces of information about this looking all over the place.  From what I found, living in Palau is fairly comparable to the USA, maybe in the midrange of US cost of living...more than the country but less than a big city.  Again, this is just based on pieces I've put together after a lot of searching, and I'm not sure how up to date it is.  The stupid American television show Survivor:Palau may have spurred tourism and increased prices :(

I'm not sure how American cost of living compares to Australian.  I live on $1,700 USD/month in a cheap place of the country.  A big city could easily cost 2-3 times as much.  I'm hoping to eventually relocate to Palau when my income goes up to about $3,000/month, when I get another pension I'll have coming to me and an inheritance (which I'm not wanting to come any sooner than it has to!).

-mike

I too dream of living 10 months per year at Palau and the other two visiting grandchildren ;) fortunately, my mom is in great health at 76 and her parents lived well into their 90s.   Although mom is adamantly against it and says to just dump her in a nursing home, that ain't happening.  I will take care of her as best I can (given how my own health is at the time).  I guess the key is to stay somewhat active.... & rtt