Cost of living in the East Timor

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in the East Timor.

Don't forget to mention where in the East Timor you are living.

How much does it cost to live in the East Timor?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Hi,

I am considering taking up a post in East Timor.  How would I have an idea on the cost of living in Dili?

Hi, anyone from Timor here?

Hello Alexis,

What would you like to know? It would help us to direct you or give you information.

Have a nice day further

Arlette

Hello,

The cost of living in East Timor is high if you want to live like a Westerner here.  The capital Dili is also more expensive than the districts.

Please feel free to ask me any specific questions.

Cheers,
Jason
[email protected]

Hi,

just want to share abaut cost living in East Timor,
I've been living in East Timor for over 4.5 years now. :)

hope this will help for anyone who wants to lives in east timor.

> accommodation prices : apartment or house around $400 to $6000/month..

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...): east timor transportation: mikrolet = 20cents-30cents, bus = $5, angguna ( small open truck ) = $5-$10

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?): average food cost daily = $10 depends where & what you eat.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) : free for national hospital but its a very long queue.

> eduction prices (if you need to pay): international school will cost you over $600/month.

> energy prices (oil, electricity): fuel price around $ 1.25 - $1.80 / liter.. electricity using 'pulsa' so you can control your electricity use.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone): EXPENSIVE... sms cost you 20cents(international), 10cents (local), phone call $1/5menits some time less :(
Internet = around $50-unlimited.. the connection is very slow...

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant: about $3 to $10, depends where and what you eat.

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub: beer price about $2.5 - $5/can. coffee about $1.50-$3.00/glass.

> price of the cinema: NO CINEMA at the moment... :(

but Timor Plaza will operate soon, it will be the biggest shopping mall in Dili.. and from what I heard, there will be cinema in there but haven't got any further information about this.

bottom line: just like Jason said, living cost in east timor quite expensive..

and note, the government regulation changes all the time, specially for immigration, labour, custom department.

Hello dwisanjaya,

Thanks a lot for this useful post :one

Hello dwisanjaya,,

just curious here,,whats your nationality ..? thank you

Hello jhonny costa & welcome to Expat.com!

I am sure that other members are just curious like you, so, a little introduction for them?

Thank you,
Harmonie.:)

Hi, i asmawi from kuala lumpur, malaysia. as a technical or engineering manager to work in Dili how much is the right salary that I should ask for.I'm now negotiating with one international company to work there.or, as a family man with 4 kids, can i have a good life with USD35,000 a month? anybody can help here. just worry to see many review of very high living cost in dili.

Closed