Cost of living in Brazil

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Brazil.

Don't forget to mention where in Brazil you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Brazil?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

I don't live in Brazil, but once I went there and the costs where affordable for me and my wife. We went to some restaurants and discos, it was less expensive than i was thinking.

Juansito.

It depends where you live in Brazil, I am in Santa Catarina( Icara) with my husband. Is very affordable here. and very safe!

Expat.com wrote:

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Brazil.

Don't forget to mention where in Brazil you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Brazil?
I can provide a price guide for Joao Pessoa

> accommodation prices To buy in Joao Pessoa you will pay between R$1000 to R$3000 per SQM if you live the beachside of the BR230, rents will cost you between R$500 to R$1500 a month depending on what you are looking for

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)Bus fares are R$1.80 or R42 and the train (yes we have a train) cost 50cents

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)Here is a breakdown of the Basic shopping basketby State

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)For a family of 4 you will pay about R$650 for a good policy with a company such as Unimed

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)Between R4180 a month upto as much as R$800 depending on the school

> energy prices (oil, electricity)We have a 3 bedroom apartment and our electricity bull is around R$180 a month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)We have a package and out telephone and Internet cost R$290 a month and we have 1meg connection and 1000 minutes between 3 mobile phones and one house phone

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurantAnything from R$30 up

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pubBeer R$2 to R$3 and Coffee R$1,80 to R$2.50

> price of the cinema R$12

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

We;re in Porto Alegre which is very affordable even with the dollar sinking.

Hi, I have traveled to Floripa for a month once in 2009 and again in 2011.Compared to other parts of Brazil.It was expensive.I found the Northeast parts of Brazil much cheaper and way nicer beaches.It maybe safer in Floripa but I didn't find trhe people near as friendly to tourists as other parts of Brazil. Again.I was only there for two times and a month each time.It was very safe and beautiful though !

I have friends that live in Joao Pessoa and I have been their several times.It is very nice,cheap and seems pretty safe.It would be a nice place for a older retired couple to a couple in their late 30's or older.I feel it is not a good place for a single person or single expat.Their just isn't much of a night life.Unless you are from there and even then it's kind of boring.As for couples with young chidren.It seems very nice but not sure how many expats are there.I only met a few.The people are nice and food is good.I have never lived their.I only visited my Brazilian friends that are from their.

Hello, I have heard Porto Alegre is a lot like my college town of Austin Texas USA.My Brazilian friends that have been both places have told me this. I heard the weather there is a lot colder than say Rio.What is your weather ,beaches and people like? Do they like Americans? I talk to many people.They always say people from their cities love Americans.Then I get there and it's not always the case!:)WhaT does it cost to rent a nice small house or apartmebt near the beach?In a safe area?Obrigado

Hi All,

You can get a good idea of the cost of living in most Brazilian cities at the following site:

http://www.custodevida.com.br/brasil/

Just type in the name of the city and state you wish to consult.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

How up to date is this link, James?

http://paraibaparadise.com/index.php/co … ng-basket/