VITEM V (Temp work visa) Extension

Hi,

Myself and my family are in brazil from past one year on VITEM V visa - validity of 365 days.

Currently my company here is extending the work permit for one more year. But my visa is expiring on sep 25 2015.

If I leave the country now, and return to brazil after sep 25, I have expired RNE, expired VISA but I have only Protocol printout from ministry of justice. Here visa agent says this protocol copy is enough to stay in brazil even though RNE and visa is expired. Only while entering we need a visa.

a) I am not sure if I dont leave the country, I could continue to stay with this protocol.
b) If I leave the country on which visa should I come back here

If anyone faced similar situation please let me know.

As long as you remain in Brazil, the protocol of your employer's application to renew your VITEM-V Work Visa is all you need. Of course you may need to go back to the Federal Police and get them to stamp it if your visa isn't approved by the date they put for "PRAZO" on the protocol. A current protocol keeps you LEGAL in the country.

If you for some reason you do leave the country, you won't have problems with the Federal Police. Where you will have a really big problem is with airlines as they DO NOT UNDERSTAND anything about the paper protocol given out by the Federal Police, they want to see a valid visa or a current RNE. Many expats are refused boarding because of the protocol and the Federal Police have never done anything to address that problem.

My advice to you is NOT to try and leave the country until you get the VITEM-V and RNE renewed, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks a lot for the useful information.