Bringing my dog to UK without quarantine

I am moving from afghanistan to the UK and want to bring my dog. He has all her rabies test up to date but apparently she still has to go into quarantine for 6 months anyway because she is coming from a country that is not on the pet passport list. I really don't want to do this as he could not cope with that. Also the price is ridiculously expensive. Is there anyone with experience of going through this that can suggest an alternative to quarantine? Thanks for the help

Welcome to Expat.com, cielo123 :)

Well I sure hope you will find a solution as I know how heartbreaking it can be to separate from your companion :(

I went to see Defra and if I understand what they are saying, your dog should stay minimum 6 months in one of the listed countries to be able to enter UK without quarantine.

But maybe some other active members of the forum could have other information for you.

Let's hope :)

Arlette

Hi Cielo.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately, there is no way around it if you are coming from a country that is not qualified under the PETS scheme. 
I was lucky enough to come to the UK from America and my dog didnt have to spend any time in quarantine, but I would not have moved here if it meant her spending six months in quarantine. 
I dont want to frighten you or add any more stress (and others may have had personal experiences that differ) but I have heard very bad things about the kennels in which dogs are kept in quarantine and I would encourage you as an animal lover to either find a wonderful home for your dog to stay in Afghanistan or not to move to the UK.  Quarantine can be extremely difficult even on well adjusted, healthy animals.

Blog: beyondthequeen.blogspot.com

hi cielo, like you, I had an issue recently where i wanted to bring my dog from a country that was not on a pet passport country to Ireland which is same as uk regulations.The only option was to stick her in quarantine for 6 months and get charged about 3k or bring her to an eu country for 6 months before brining her to Ireland on a pet passport, allowing me to skip quarantine in Ireland.This is a a toy dog that has never been left alone and slept every night on our pillow so there was no way i was putting her in quarantine or even in  boarding kennel abroad. So I got a friends mother in czech republic to mind her for 6 months for 1500 . She lives in the house and has another dog to play with and a big back garden. For me that was a much better option than putting her in quarantine for 6 months .Its a quite country village where the neighbors are very close so the dog is in the next door neighbors house all the time also .The mother or next door neighbor would probably take another dog as they love them and have taken dogs in similar circumstances before. If you want me to ask you can drop me a mail on [email protected]