New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015

:offtopic:   Ok guys.....

Hi guys! My name is Dave and I am a 33 year old, single male from Kingston,  Ontario, Canada.
I fell inlove with the D.R. two years ago on a vacation to Puerto Plata and have planned to move their ever since.
I bought a 3 season cottage 3 years ago and turned it into a year round home doing all the renovations myself. I was hoping to finance the initial part of my move with any profit from its sale. I just sold it making a nice profit which will allow me to transition without financial stress.
I am just hoping to make some contacts and get their advice. I'm hoping to get down there sometime this month and rent a place for a couple weeks to do some research and planning. I'm looking at Cabarete area. I will take any advice I can get. Thanks in advance.

Welcome. We are here to help.  Read as much as possible.....

Welcome again.

Read the posts here on the various threads and ask away!

We live between Sosua and Cabarete for the last 9+ years.

Bob K

I'm coming to visit the north coast in the next day or two. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. Thanks.

Let me know if you  are in the Sosua/Cabarete area. 

Bob K

I will. As soon as I find a place to stay there I'm off.

Ok keep me posted

Bob k

I wont be around but wish I were....

Maybe a reason to visit the NC

Bob K

I just need the time Bob I'd love to....

Hi my name is Randy. I am very happy to have found this post as I have already learned a ton great information! My wife and I have traveled to the DR numerous times and in various locations. We started with several trips to Punta Cana staying in all inclusive but soon bored of that. We have now done several trips with no schedule and only our backpacks. We have decided to take leave from our careers in January and expose our three teenage kids to this wonderful place.  We plans to stay from January until August probably on the north coast. We rented a house in las Terrenas early this year and really liked the area. We will most likely try to rent a house there for the winter and travel the country side and neighbouring islands. Or we might just hange out, depends on how well the kids adapt.  Happy to meet you all !

Hi Randy,  welcome to the forums. Sounds like a great adventure and fabulous experience for you all!!!   I hope to meet you when you make  it to this area.........or maybe I will need a road trip.......

Thanks Planner. Will definitely be in your area as well. I also fell in love with the area around Bayahibe, wouldn't miss spending some time there. But it sounds like your due for a trip to the north coast!

That I am honey...

Randy welcome.  It sounds like a great adventure and a super experience for your kids.  Let me know if I can do anything for you. We are down the road (a bit down the road) in Cabarete area

Bob K

Thanks for your offer Bob, it means a lot.  I'm sure I will have lots of questions as we start making concrete plans.

Feel free to ask away!

Bob K

Ok , first question. My wife and I both have IPhones. Can we get them to work in the DR? Is it as simple as buying a new SIM card there?

As long as they are unlocked or unlockable then YES its that simple

Does unlock able mean no contract? Is that something I have to do in Canada?

You need to find out there if it can be unlocked.  Do that there or you can do  it here (cheaper here)

Does unlock able mean no contract? Is that something I have to do in Canada?

Unlock means you can use it on any network.  You need to go either to the internet  or a phone store to get this done.

Bob K

Ciao, I wll be for the first time October 2015 in Las Terrenas, got my own company that lets me work anywhere at the computer, and stay a whole month to see what life is there... See you there? Any tip on your experience in DR? ;-)  Luca Florence Italy

Welcome Luca,  you are doing things the right way, try before you buy......  read the forums and read some more. Then come back with your questions and we will do our best to help.

Thx planner, your help will be precious :-)

Yes Luca welcome.  Do read and ask questions.  Lots of good folks here to give information.

We spent a month in Florence two summers ago and love it!

Bob K

Hi Bob, nice to get in touch with a lover of my hometown. I hope one month in October in Las Terrenas will give to me an idea of what would be living at least a part of the year in DR. No way to discuss about the climate and sea  :one , much curious about the people...

Just ask away

Bob K

I read different opinions about the cultural melting in Las Terrenas between "gringos" and locals, some say foreigners to be regarded as walking wallets full of money others underline a certain harmony between the two, will look next month what it is like, although it seems to me that learning from the place and the people could help a lot to set respectfull relationships with the Dominicans (general rule)...

It's all of the above Lucas.  Some will always be seen as wallets by some.  As you settle in, get to know people, respect the culture it will shift but only in your circle. 

Others won't know you from the next gringo and assumptions will be made.

I'll do it thx planner ;)  I am looking for a residence for the whole month of October in Las Terrenas (will be there not accompanied) but got some difficulties to find the right half way between luxury mansions and poor locations,  a couple of suggestions will be great.

Go find the las Terrenas thread honey and post there, you will have more success.

As you acclimate to the culture and people you will develop concentric circle of friends.  A larger outer circle of "friends", more like people you know, a smaller second circle of real fiends and a very small inner circle of friend who you trust with out reservation.  Obviously this inner circle is vey small and takes time to develop.  It is a liquid situation and people will move back and forth between the circles.

Also do not be surprised if a gringo is the worst at trying to take advantage of you

Bob K

Thx Bob, as long as I follow your DR experienced tips I am not surprised about the gringos issue, having some trouble booking a residence owned by a gringo, just posted something on the accomodation in Las Terrenas thread. Ciao

Bob K wrote:

As you acclimate to the culture and people you will develop concentric circle of friends.  A larger outer circle of "friends", more like people you know, a smaller second circle of real fiends and a very small inner circle of friend who you trust with out reservation.  Obviously this inner circle is vey small and takes time to develop.  It is a liquid situation and people will move back and forth between the circles.

Also do not be surprised if a gringo is the worst at trying to take advantage of you

Bob K

I have found this to be correct

Hi,
I am looking to move to the Dominican Republic, I have visited on many occasions

I am looking to move to Santo Domingo
I need se advice on how to get a job and what I should do

Welcome Amiee to the forums.  Please read read read the various topics. Much of what you want to know has been covered.  First read about residencia as you are going to need it to get a job here. 

Feel free to ask your questions as you go along,  inside those threads or start new ones as needed!

Welcome. Yes read all the threads especially on jobs, visas and residency. 

Getting a job here is hard, wages are generally low and it will not be easy to make a living here.  After reading all you can please ask questions you may still have.

Bob K

Closed