Safety in Vietnam

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Vietnam?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Vietnam and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

For the most part I feel ok but for some people they can be targets of crime. I think you should always be aware of whats going on around you in any situation.

I have lived here 11 years and lived in china 9 years before and I really feel safe. No I'm not safe from the petty thief and my maid steals but all maids steal so just lock up my things I do not want her to take. Its a country of petty thief' but i can walk down the street safe and not worry about being shot, stabbed or hurt.
I rent here and really enjoy the hospitality of the Vietnamese people and have done business here since the first day I arrived. I put on lectures and have 2 books translated into Vietnamese on the bookshelves in Vietnam.
When I go back to America I enjoy the clean streets, trash all being picked up but hate the military state we are in as the criminals rule the country and you do not feel safe at home or on the street, its the guns that kill people and we have lots of them.
Taxes are low here and you can get ahead, I am 75 years old and my ss is only $1,0000 a month so I could not live on it in America and my extra work brings in a great living for me. No I do not live the American life style but I do not need that any more and yes the hospitals are horrible here but you learn how to deal with these  issues.
What is important to me is safety, having some $ left for myself after all bills paid and happiness this I have found in Vietnam
Professor Dr. Charles H. Cranford

After three months in Hue I can say that I feel safer in the Vietnam that I know than I do at times in Australia, which is a safe and friendly country.
I know my life style and travellings etc are observed, but I have never felt watched and all have been friendly and actually cared about my safety and security with hints when I am too relaxed, particularly around property, belongings..For me it is a wonderful country and made so by the openness and care of the people.I know their is crime and I have heard of some involving expats, but generally it has been from their own lack of care and indiscretion.
JRT

I live in Saigon and in the main feel a lot safer than when I lived in the UK. Most of the UK cities have no-go areas now where crime is rife and where it is not safe to go out after dark. I have yet to find this in any Vietnamese city.

eodmatt wrote:

I live in Saigon and in the main feel a lot safer than when I lived in the UK. Most of the UK cities have no-go areas now where crime is rife and where it is not safe to go out after dark. I have yet to find this in any Vietnamese city.

I moved to Vietnam from the UK as it is one of the safer countries in the area but the idea that it is safer than the UK is deluded.  Statistically speaking it isn't.  I know property crime here is high but personal crime is not so.  I don't think I would have to look to hard in major cites here to find places I would not like to go out after dark.  When I lived in London the most dangerous street (in terms of being shot/robbed) was Coldharbour lane.  I used to go to a club down there quite frequently and never had a problem.  They even sent a journalist down there one time trying to get him robbed and while they eventually succeeded it was very difficult to achieve it.  Weirdest documentary I ever saw.
To me Colombia is safe, but again there are places in Bogota ,Medellin and other cities that should be avoided.

I share the same sentiments as Dr Charles to the T.
Lots of petty crime that can be diluted by a good set of rules. Violent crimes are of little concern to me and I am very secure with the safety of my wife and son on the streets of Hanoi. Having lived in China and Vietnam for the better part of 8 years I am less concerned with personal safety in these two countries than I was living in Canada and the USA.

Hanoi Dan

Odd this subject should come up now, been living in Nha Trang 10 years and up until last week never had a single problem myself. Of course I have heard of problems and a very common one here is girls targeting single men and robbing them, usually this is as they walk home the worse for drink between midnight and 5am, the girls are always in pairs and sometimes even doubling so 4 will go at one guy,hard to estimate how many men are robbed each night but it has to be quite a few.

Anyway last week with the intense heat here I could not sleep so at 4am decided to go for a walk [normally an early to bed and early to rise guy and keep myself to myself], I was cutting through a small street towards the beach and the next thing I know bike pulls up the girl on the back is of and she is all over me, as I pushed her away I felt my wallet being lifted and then did not hesitate, I just rammed my fist straight into her face, I walked over to pick up my wallet as she was lying on the floor and would have left it at that, problem was her partner was on the phone no doubt calling for help back up or whatever, so I punched her in the face as well took the phone and smashed it into the ground, I then took there bike driving it to Tran Phu St [the main st by the beach] leaving it there with the keys in and continued my walk.

Not for one moment do I feel the slightest bit of guilt for punching those girls smashing there phone and stealing there bike, they are just vermin and need to be treated as such, I just hope and pray they where in a lot of pain never got there bike back and so will think twice about robbing some poor bloke next time.

Safety ---- what safety?

They have a new law effective last year OSH very close to our USA OSHA program but they have no penalty when companies do not pay professional companies to hire qualified people to do the training.
Every building you enter, from local business to newer commercial buildings there are hundreds of code violations and many major safety hazards. Just yesterday in local theme botanical garden park there were many exposed electrical boxes completely exposing wiring and breaks plus it had just rained leaving water in them and on ground.
There are NO POLICE on the streets regulating speeding, careless driving, helmet law, cargo on motor bikes unsafe, too many people on one motorbike, running red lites, turning into traffic without yielding to others, etc.
The power lines are strung like birds nest. They do not even know what grounding electric is. Workers where open sandals and no safety glasses. Street workers do not have safety vest on. Roadway workers have no safety cones, warning signs of work, night time lighting, lane blockage signs, flashing yellow lights, etc.
NO ONE pulls over for an ambulance or police vehicle. They do not give a shit. I all other countries police follow an ambulance and pull cars over to fine them if they do not give right of way to emergency vehicles.
Streets have very little area on side to pull off on to and pot holes are every where.
Smoking everywhere with no consideration for secondary smoke impact.
Kitchen staff in most Vietnamese restaurants do not wear protective gloves and no hair cover hats. I never see them washing their hands.
Over 6 years in Vietnam living here full time and nothing ever improves. If you bring the subject up the response is "Oh that is Vietnamese Culture!"

Nice one.  Thanks for the tip on one of the tactics. I wonder if this is a country wide modus operandi?

I bought a motorcycle today,
But just ride 20 minutes, it was stopped by public security,
Because the car just bought, so all documents containing a driver's license
I have to carry around.

He said I did not play direction lights,
So he wants to fine me two million VND
I know the price of traffic fines,(and Im sure I did play the lights)
He said if I do not give money, motorcycle must be left, and I took a taxi back.
This is a blackmail.

I told him I did not have so much money, he asked me how much,
I opened the wallet, a total of 530,000 VND
He said 500,000 to.

Because I am anxious to work
So leave 500,000 to public security and go

But I did not have any illegal and unlawful.

Vietnam safe?
I am more afraid of public security is better than in another bad guys.

In addition, government agencies often visit factories and company
It is another story

good luck guys

Hallo Christine,
I´m living in Hoc Chi Minh Cite since begining of March. I walk to any time of the day thru the streets and i didn´t have any negativ experience yet. I feel safer then in germany. :-)
Hope it helped
Rene

Safety depends on where you are mostly. But, in my experience here, almost one and a half years, Vietnam is relatively safe. I had one incident in a park near Nguyen Trai, District one, HCMC, where a guy tried to grab by date's purse one night. I grabbed him, he fell to the ground, got his balance back and he ran off like a scared rabbit. The top advice I would give to new comers here is to be careful of some taxi drivers. Vinasun is notably bad for having fast meters and sometimes going the long way. Mylinh is mostly better and Uber the best way, unless you use a motorbike. Also, Vinasun had the nasty habit of locking the doors once you get inside, probably not legal to do.

Of course, if you drive a motorbike, everybody knows that if the police pull you over, its going to cost: locals usually pay 200,000 Dong for something, often made up infraction, while expats sometimes are hit up for more.

Interesting the stuff about motorbikes.  My gopro is on whenever I am on the bike and it misses nothing day or night.  Speeding is the only thing the cops care about in Vung Tau.  Sunday is an especially bad day for them.  One Sunday I passed 3 speed traps.  Driving here is insanely dangerous.  They see you and still drive right across you assuming you will brake.  It isn't driving here it is competing in a demolition derby.  Seeing 3 or 4 accidents in a day is not uncommon.

I am a older American man.  I've lived in Saigon for 5 yrs and have never been attacked, threatened or verbally abused ever.   Nobody uses a gun/knife to attack anyone here.  The only annoying thing is being approched by all sorts of men/women/kids to buy stuff because I am a foreigner.  The only thing you must be on guard against is getting your cell/wallet/purse/jewelry stolen.   This often happens from a passing motorbike passenger grabbing your purse/bracelet/necklace/camera/shopping bag etc.  Also, Bar Waitresses/Bar Hostesses will wait till customers are very drunk and then while touching you they will steal your wallet/cell. More often they will just over-charge you for drinks...even add more drinks to the bill.  Oh, be forewarned...Viet Police are useless.  If you have any disagreement with a Viet. and the police get involved .. they will be on the Viet's side...afterall you are the rich foreigner. ( ´_ゝ`)

hey Guys!

I have been living in HCMC for last 2 years ( almost ) i have come here from Dubai. and I find Vietnam, as a whole as one of the most safest places on Earth! I have driven to cities in nights, had no issue. i had walked around in the nights with my friends, had no problem eventhough i live litle far from main city. i live in district 7!

i have been to remote places / villages for marketing of my product, where foreign face is totally a new thing. again i had no issue. well, to be honest, i find it an amazing place on earth with no security hassle!

well, many times i have been warned by locals not to keep mobile / wallet on a table of coffee shop but no body looked suspicious to me :)

Regards,
Zaki

I have never felt unsafe here, no matter how late the hour. That's a good thing though I don't know how much use the police would be if anything did happen.

People are always standoffish, but nice when you break the first introductions. As always avoid drugs and prostitures and all should be fine

I have read all your comments and for those fortunate enough to have not YET experienced any concerns about safety here in VN, well, that's wonderful - for you. However, there are many who have had some unforgettable and most regrettable experiences. Having spoken with other, less fortunate, I understand from them that VN can be a, sometimes, most dangerous place to live. From my own, personal experiences, I can attest to this being true. For example, a most recent experience demands that I share this with all of you, some of whom may still be at a "naive tourist" state of thought - feeling safe and well-protected from harm and harassment. Be assured that if you have yet to require the support of local police, government officials and even your own national consulate that the support you may need to covet, will not be there and as proof, I offer the following.

I was recently assaulted while sharing lunch with a couple friends in a well-known popular restaurant with many others looking on in disbelief. The assault came from not one but from 2 persons who aggressively believed that they had the right to communicate with their hands and obviously were more familiar with VN law than I was. Their aggressive behavior was unprovoked and simply based on their ignorance and clearly their need for entertainment.

After having fled the scene before police to arrive (which they never did), the incident as also observed by security personnel, was reported to the local police station in District 1 where nearly 2 hours was spent completing a most useless report form of which neither a copy of/or case confirmation was provided to myself or my friends.

What was provided to us was an acknowledgment that even "if" the 2 assailants were apprehended, they would not be put into jail but, merely, fined. With determination to go beyond the police level, I consulted with representatives at both the US and Australian consulate, only to be confirmed by both that the consulates are not allowed to intervene into police or government matters on behalf of an individual.

So, any of you still believe that VN is a safe place to live, then please consider my warning - that it is most assuredly NOT. This is but one example of the "safe" place that some of you think you live but this, without warning, can happen to you, too, someday. Yes, true, this could happen in most other Western countries, as well but, at least, we have more protection and followup by local authorities there in order to support and satisfy our need for justice and/or compensation.

Again, this example is but one of many more situations that I can cite that would discourage anyone from innocently believing that VN is a safe place to live.

Kennethc! Do you think you live in America? This is Communist Vietnam! The two countries are so far away from each other on the map! There are no comparisons! They have nothing in common. You must accept Vietnam as it is! Why would the Vietnamese change to be like Westerners? Think about it!

daveinvietnam wrote:

Odd this subject should come up now, been living in Nha Trang 10 years and up until last week never had a single problem myself. Of course I have heard of problems and a very common one here is girls targeting single men and robbing them, usually this is as they walk home the worse for drink between midnight and 5am, the girls are always in pairs and sometimes even doubling so 4 will go at one guy,hard to estimate how many men are robbed each night but it has to be quite a few.

Anyway last week with the intense heat here I could not sleep so at 4am decided to go for a walk [normally an early to bed and early to rise guy and keep myself to myself], I was cutting through a small street towards the beach and the next thing I know bike pulls up the girl on the back is of and she is all over me, as I pushed her away I felt my wallet being lifted and then did not hesitate, I just rammed my fist straight into her face, I walked over to pick up my wallet as she was lying on the floor and would have left it at that, problem was her partner was on the phone no doubt calling for help back up or whatever, so I punched her in the face as well took the phone and smashed it into the ground, I then took there bike driving it to Tran Phu St [the main st by the beach] leaving it there with the keys in and continued my walk.

Not for one moment do I feel the slightest bit of guilt for punching those girls smashing there phone and stealing there bike, they are just vermin and need to be treated as such, I just hope and pray they where in a lot of pain never got there bike back and so will think twice about robbing some poor bloke next time.

Good work Dave.   I've had the same thing myself. 
Next time , punch to the throat.   You won't skin your knuckles on their chin and they'll probably choke to death since their larynx will collapse.
It's a move banned in the UFC by the way. 

For all those kiddies out there worrying about muggers, just think Eyes , Throat and Groin. 

Stay tuned for more street safety tips from Yogi.  Grrrrrrrr 😄😄😄

In short:
* traffic is far from safe: especially the big trucks!
* food/country is very polluted (not safe to eat IMHO), organic produce very hard to find and often very expensive.
* air pollution: very bad, not safe for your health to breathe in Hanoi
* smoking: too much and no regulations, again bad for our health
* sugar: it is in EVERYTHING, very bad for teeth, health as it is addictive and inflammtory
* crime: as a foreigner you pay mostly 3x or more the price of a local, which in return makes Europe often cheaper than Vietnam
* I get the feeling that locals think that foreigners are a "walking ATM": price rises as soon as you ask how much it is and locals try to borrow money from us all the time.
* pollution everywhere: not safe for nature and people

I hope Vietnam is able to change soon, because the people are very nice in general and they deserve to have a fair and non-corrupt government, and a green and clean environment where food is safe to eat. Vietnam has a lot of potential, but they don't use it yet.

In my situation, there is no safer place than inside of a taxi after 9pm. Recently the American, won't mention anyone's name because of sensitive material, he was carefully driving his wife home a little after 9, one of the street gangsters, tried to steal her purse and in doing so, they pulled so hard they made her and him crash their bike near McDonaldson Dien Bien Phu. He died and I believe she was rushed to the hospital with very bad injuries.

This incident followed a slew of attempts to steal my iPhone 4s, which at the time was almost completely worthless because it was a Japanese model and could no longer be used as a phone after ios8 not to mention a cracked screen and many dents to the body. I pretty much destroyed it, but because it was in my pocket and still appeared to be valuable to the heroin addicts or whatever kind of addicts that live on the street, my shirt pocket was ripped open as the gangster scurried across a lane of traffic, risking his life and that of the parents and children that we behind me, stopped on the road. I was going to grab his arm and show him how we treat thieves in my neighborhood but reverting back to my Korean martial arts therapy, I let him go so that he wouldn't wreck his bike and hurt anyone.
So in fact, out of the 4 Asian counties that I have lived in or stayed for a long period, HCMC demonstrates consistently how the homeless and otherwise drug addicted or psychotic citizens will try to take what you have and if they feel it's a bigger challenge than what they're up to, many have razor knives and will slice the back of your hand until you drop you possessions and take off. To throw your predictions off and when you feel comfortable in your new environment, they won't hesitate to attacking you in midday or send someone to abduct your children, your girlfriends, even your wife to sell on the black market as sex slaves.

Even though the city is beginning to grow as far as design, there is a very large, growing gap in the availability in jobs. Therefore, and not unlike even the most prestigious cities in the U.S., your life is always on the line; with someone standing at the end, cornering you, and beating you to death for something as petty as a burnt out old rental bike; which might even cost you your life after 10 pm.

So is it dangerous, when compared to for example Akron university campus in Ohio, which isn't even dangerous enough to make the news in the U.S., teens are subjected to gang violence, shootouts with the cops, broad daylight beatdowns just for your money and so many shootings all night that the city is lit up with the sounds of gunfire until dawn. When I compare these two, HCMC is much like taking a trip to Disneyland and anyone that comes to visit should just take precautions to stay in their hotel or a taxi, visiting only in the daylight; careful not to carry a purse or any sort of expensive technology, (e.g. IPads, iPhones etc.) in plain sight unless you have a great background in self defense, are ready to totally beat someone or 2 half to death and running away quickly because no matter the situation, you are a foreigner and you will be at fault. So just be ready; keep your fingers on the top of your phone when dialing and away from moving traffic and do not let any figures that appear to be women get near your clothing; the transvestite drug addicted prostitues from Thailand will take everything you own just for being stupid enough for being socialable with people you don't know.

So safe; just don't be stupid in a place where people don't make as much as you in a day as they make in a month or even a year.

Not really trying to spam here but please have a look at this product it is really a very good idea to have in Vietnam. Most crime here is through theft either cutting your bag or stealing it from the train, bus, coffee shop,  or beach. This prevents that from happening. Eazylock.com it really makes sense for you.

Crime:
There's a lot more crime than meets the eye of a tourist. Most crimes involving foreigners is petty crime such as pick pocketing, scamming and simple theft.

Traffic:
Since few Vietnamese ever attend driving school and since driving instructors seem to have stolen their licenses themselves (where else but in Vietnam can you see an instructor instruct a student to u-turn across a double line, and to honk before every empty intersection?), traffic is the most dangerous aspect about Vietnam.

I happen to know the Vietnamese traffic code and for the most part it makes perfect sense. It is, however, worthless, as few people in traffic actually know and follow the rules.

Hygiene and safety standards:
No words necessary.

Very safe outside tourist areas. I live in Nha Trang and 90% of all trouble is in a 4 square block area.... the same is true for Saigon. Mostly petty theft. Real Vietnam shuts down by 10 pm so all the bad eggs head to the Sailing club and other venues where there are drunk foreigners with money. In 18 years the only thing that has ever happened to me was a ladyboy pickpocket team in the tourist area in Saigon and my drink getting drugged with a sleep agent at sailing club Nha Trang. Try experiencing Vietnam a few blocks away from all the noise, drunks, and tourist bars and you will probably never experience crime.

Living 6 months of the year in the US and 6 months in Vietnam and having traveled all over the world,I can say,tha Vietnam is doing very well as for criminality.
Personally,I never feel afraid,even walking in the evening and didnot hear from somebody else either,that they had been assaulted.
What happens of course,like everywhere,pickpockets may try their luck on you or a guy on his scooter,may try to rip your wallet or briefcase out of your hands and run away with it.
But "gunpoint" crime etc.... not that I know of.
Cannot say -unfortunately- the same of the US.
Edward van Hulst

Sorry professor, guns do not kill people, people kill people so stop the political BS.   As far as safety in VN, I have never had a problem and I agree, it is safer than most countries i have visited and lived, except for Singapore.

Hi,
I live in DaLat about 1 month. Earlier i lived in Nha Trang 7 months.
Yes, in Vietnam has thiefs. All countries has thieves.
But, generally in VietNam is very safely.

I traveled from south to north from January until May 2015 and not once did I feel unsafe. However, i always remained situationally aware by default. As for social tension anywhere in the nation, i did not see it at all other than innocuous activism regarding tree-cutting in Hanoi.

I felt safer in Vietnam than I do in Memphis/USA; and, am very anxious to return.

No, you are missing the point. This is not at all about comparing one place to another; so your comment is not relevant. It is only about people here giving examples of why they believe VN to be a safe or unsafe country to live in. Best for you to focus on the subject.

You have the common Tourist traps, ie. Bag snatching, rip offs , dodgy Taxi drivers etc, but these guys in general are only getting pennies for their efforts.  They are in effect burying their tourism industry since hardly anyone ever comes back here.

A snatched $20 phone, and note clip with a few dong lifted from your pocket at the night club is nothing.  You don't hear of that many vicious assaults, shootings , rapes or murders of foreigners.   But that's a daily occurrence back home these days.  Thailand is starting to get a bit of trouble though.

As for us expats, ..the biggest enemy and danger is looking at you in the mirror.

I've known guys here that have become Physically , mentally and financially "stuffed " purely through their own stupidity, ego and delusion.   They have nothing left of themselves.   Some couldn't even afford airfares home.   They arrive back where they came from , a bankrupt  trembling alcoholic. Then they  blame the women here for their financial demise......ha ha.   They've got to be kidding.

I've known several people here in Nha Trang that have gone swimming in front of the sailing club at midnight and wondered why their phones  wallets & clothes disappeared when they got out.  Then they go on TripAdvisor and bag the town. 

A lot of expats come here for the cheap beer and cheap women.  If you lie down with dogs, you'll get up with fleas.   Most guys here that have been "rubbed out" have been screwed by those closest to them...ie    wives and business partners.   That rogue taxi driver getting an extra few dong, is small change compared to what's sleeping Or  working beside them.  😄

This is a very safe place to live with a little bit of common sense.

I must be very honest on this one. I do NOT really feel safe in VN. The safest place is my flat. Yet wherever I go outside my four walls I do not feel completely safe. One of my teaching colleagues was brutally driven into when driving to the job and was almost robbed his briefcase. Yet he was sturdy enough to defend himself and chase off the attacker. I was involved in similar cases a number of times. In one case two safety guards of a hotel intervened and led me back to my flat, on one other occasion I was shouted at because I was riding my bicycle on the 'right' of the road. The oncoming motor driver looked so fierce I'm sure I shouldn't have shouted back.

Good answer... I haven't had that happen before. But I've heard other expats experience the same thing. Think fast, defend yourself and strike even faster is my motto. Be safe...

I've lived in Vietnam for over 13 years...Hanoi, Da Nang, Saigon...and many other places for weeks or days while traveling from one end to the other.  I have had a mobile phone stolen from me...and one motorbike.  Both were due to my not 'paying proper attention'. 
As to 'safety'...I've never felt threaten at any time in the years I've lived here.  I've heard of many others having had their bodies damaged and material stolen by force...this has never happened to me...I've walked the streets of all these cities during the day light hours and sometimes after midnight.  I've walked from downtown Saigon to the other side of the airport at 2 am with no fear. This goes for the nearby countries of Cambodia, Thailand, Laos and Japan...I've never felt threatened in any of these places during the day or night. I could not say that same statement in Norfolk, Va., Washington, D.C., Denver, Co. or even San Francisco, Ca...
I've driven large (1500cc) motorcycles in the US...driven cross country on most of the major interstates...riding a 125 or 150cc motorized bike is almost 2nd nature (knock on wood).  Traffic laws and rules of the road are almost never used.  From those within the police force, military personnel or Ministry/government officials...to the public.  I have been injured walking on sidewalks due to a motorbike coming from another direction.  I've had to walk in the street and scares to prove the dangers of even standing near a corner or curb...Four wheel taxis and buses are the worst!  I've had my left foot driven onto and over by a car taxi.  I've seen the buses blow right through a red light and plow into either a car or motorbike...and some times even continue on. 
The safety in driving a motorbike is about a 3 on a scale of 10...unless you really have a 6th sense of what is going to happen due to their habits and stupidity.  The book studied is just like that of so many other nations for driving..yet, few really abide by such rules of the road.
Why do they even have a 'red stop sign' in their rule book...I've only seen 4 signs in my travels..plus the one at the driving test site.

SaigonTodd wrote:

You're my hero!  I was about to essentially agree with everyone else about the relative safety of Vietnam with the lone caveat being petty street robbery in Nha Trang.  I've spent most of the last 7 months in Saigon and I haven't felt threatened even once.  I am sure that there are petty thieves roaming the backpacker area and I've heard stories of several ex-pat women being victimized by theft in Saigon so I know the threat/danger exists. 

Nha Trang on the other hand has rampant street theft and it is sanctioned and organized.  I've witnessed the girl bike gangs zoom in an surround unsuspecting drunk guys then pick pocket them.  Its a nightly occurrence outside of Sailing Club and "why not bar" and the security guys actually watch over the girls and maybe even tip them off when the tourist is leaving.   I personally witnessed these thefts and tried to warn people on numerous occasions.  There is no doubt the police are in on it too b/c its far to blatant and routine.  Once you understand how they work you can easily avoid them and I've walked all over that area at night.  I'm over 6' and 200 lbs and was never stumbling drunk though. 

I've wanted to punch them and often considered what I would do if they swarmed me.  Locals warned me that if I did punch them a bunch of security guys would show up and take revenge.  So you're lucky to have grabbed the phone.

I've never felt any threats in Saigon, Da Lat or Mui Ne and there is no doubt in my mind that Vietnam is much safer than many US cities.  It is certainly far safer than any South American city I have visited.

Trust me I am no hero haha, I was shaking for an hour after. Would do it again though, what gets me as mad as them doing it is them thinking they can do it with impunity, that no one will fight back, for sure more need to.

I live in Dalat and feel absolutely safe whether I'm riding or walking. Fear or thoughts of possible crime are NOT in my consciousness here or in any of the other many, many places I've visited in Vietnam... until I get pulled over by the police for one of their traffic stop shakedowns. Both the yellow- and green-uniformed police have stopped me between Saigon and Dalat. With one exception (yesterday when I really was speeding), I got away each time for 200,000VND.

Although I hear and read stories, though outside two tourists getting a bag snatched on Bui Vien in Saigon, I have never witnessed anything violent... and they were both physically fine after the experience.

I dropped my iPhone 5S on the street in Dalat and was shocked when, with the help of the "Find My iPhone" app, it was returned to me within 24 hours by the Vietnamese man who found it.

In my experience, Vietnam is very safe for foreigners who are cautious with valuables and who pay attention to their surroundings.

fish323 wrote:

To me Colombia is safe, but again there are places in Bogota ,Medellin and other cities that should be avoided.

Unsure why Columbia is mentioned, but Medellin is one of the top tourist cities in South America and a MUST SEE.

Vietnam is broadly safe in the sense of risk of violent attacks but the roads are VERY unsafe due to the sheer mindlessness of a significant number of the locals and the behaviour of truck and bus drivers on the roads outside the big cities especially. Thousands die on the roads each year and 2 of my students have died as a result of motorbike accidents.The sheer lunacy of the noise pollution is a huge problem too regarding  the impact on the quality of life here ( even more and more vietnamese are acknowledging this but, unsurprisingly, nothing much being done as yet to try and change behaviour.) . Theft and robberies ARE a big problem too. Once, a girlfriend before had her bag ripped off her shoulder by motorbike robbers, same happened when I was with a female friend and one attempted robbery with another female friend. The vietnamese have a HUGE fear of theft and robbery and I know quite a few foreigners also had phones stolen in coffee shops - whether they were being careless is another story but does not change the facts. I do not think anything more needs to be said about corruption here (doe it all make u feel safe?)..Sure most vietnamese are friendly but to what degree is the friendliness just bacause they want something from you?..Up to us as to how we see it all....Is Vietnam more or less safe than other places? I don't know..but is still an interesting place with potential to be so much better

In my opinion,  Vietnam is as safe or safer than any western country. This does not mean it's crime free. That does not exist, except, perhaps in Antártica. You still have to be careful with your belongings and don't do stupid things like walking alone at night.

So, Vietnam is a good place to relax and enjoy.

By the way, reading some of the posts on this thread made me think some "expats" should not be allowed to leave their countries. Expat life is about knowing a different way of life, of different people, doing things differently, and learning from it, not comparing your host counties with an idealized utopian "home". Try to be happy and see all the good things you have around you instead of focusing on the negative. Peace, people.

jotxo wrote:

In my opinion,  Vietnam is as safe or safer than any western country. This does not mean it's crime free. That does not exist, except, perhaps in Antártica. You still have to be careful with your belongings and don't do stupid things like walking alone at night.

So, Vietnam is a good place to relax and enjoy.

I cannot believe that comment was made by someone from Europe.  It is safe but not European safe, not by a long way. Definitely safer than most of the Americas.