Car Insurance in Ontario - Insurance that you need to stay away from

My husband and I moved to London, Ontario in summer 2010.  Before we moved, we ordered the driver's license abstract for the insurance.  We have one car registered in the US, which we are currently use and now we have purchased another car so that it could have an Ontario plates.

We shopped around for a car insurance and Oxford Mutual Insurance apparently gave us the cheapest quote with some catch so buyers beware.

At this point, I am keeping one car with US license because I am going back and forth from the US and Canada.  We have properties in the US and it makes sense to keep my US license for now until I moved here permanently.  My husband has an Ontario G license.

The ridiculous part of this insurance (I thought as if they are asking me to take a trip to the moon and smoke a joint):

- Because I have US license, although the car is registered with my husband's name with Ontario license, I, as his wife, have to sign a waiver to never ever drive that car.  My point is, I have another car so other than an occasional run to the supermarket, I may not be driving the car at all.

- OK. So I say fine, we'll do it and if we find another insurance say in 2 months time, we'll just get on with a different insurance.  Guess what, they say to do that we would incur 24% penalty of the yearly premium.

I don't remember things are this complicated with my Geico insurance in the US.

My cousin has something similar happen to her. Because she got into an accident with her van she had wasn't allowed to drive her husbands truck or something like that. Not sure Why that was. I think they ended up switching insurance plans in the end.

It is something like a contract I guess...you have to stay with the company for the year then cancel or else there are pentalies. I did not know this until i tried to cancel my insurance company before. ( I didn't in the end because then I would have to pay a penalty.)

I have a broker through Farmer mutual insurance.

Yes insurance companies are funny. Not always fair too. I had good experiences with ING which is now Intact when I was living there. I think the best bet, as was mentioned is to go through a broker or even try a couple as broker have a select number of companies. Dealing with insurance companies is never fun. Good luck!