Rental apartments near Toronto

I just moved to Toronto only 3 weeks back. I stayed with a friend for about 10 days and then moved to a hotel. I am looking for a rental house or furnished apartment to live with my wife. My friend who is now away for a business trip is also not available to help me finding one. I don't know what kind of a residence is better here in Canada, a house or an apartment. Right now, I am fine with either of those options. I searched for apartments on the internet and found many luxury condos, which I am not interested in because of current financial status. I also found about one furnished rental by Mac Suites in Toronto. It looks good, but I am not sure about their rental charge and other facilities available. Anyone has any experience with them? or Can someone help me how to find affordable rentals, furnished if possible, in decent a neighborhood?

Most landlords renting out lower price ranged apartments and houses still rely on the old fashioned approach... placing an ad in the local newspapers.

Go out and pick up a copy of the Globe and Mail, the Toronto Star, the Toronto Sun, and the Metro News, or at least a couple of those publications and start digging through their Classifieds Sections.

Happy hunting!!!

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

I agree with @James that the old-fashion may yield some surprises. If you're going to rely on online method, I'd typically go with a combo of Kijiji and Walkscore. The former is where most Canadians will place ads. Note: Kijiji is Canada's equivalent to Craigslist.While the later is what I use to determine the proximity of the premise to many of the essentials like grocery store, bus stops, rail transit etc etc.

Hi,

Perhaps if I knew your needs I could help.  Where do you and/or your wife work?  Is your work place near the TTC.   Are you prepared to buy used furniture as a start-up measure?  Do you need pots, pans, brooms, etc? Give me a rough idea of what you want to spend on rent, what kind of facilities you would like near where you will live, if you will have a car or need to be near transit.   

I can certainly help guide you through the process.   Furnished apartments are usually quite expensive, but that is subjective.    What is expensive for me may not be for you. 

A good resource is Craigslist Toronto, but you need to know where you want to be located and what your basic needs are first.

I listed my phone number here and then realised it would be very public.  I think that if you reply to me it will come to my email and we should be able to find a way to make contact without the whole Expat-blog being party to the correspondence.   

Be well,

Lydia