Character of different cities in Mexico

Trying to figure out where I want to move in Mexico.

Things I think about what would make a city I'd like to call home

- a vibrant arts and music culture
- genuinely nice friendly people
- a city that has stuff to do but isn't super big
- decent enough infrastructure
- culture not based on US tourism
- cops and cabbies are not constantly trying to scam non-locals

Maybe kinda "hipsterish" like portland or austin? Is that a thing in Mexico?

Anyone who's lived in any city and wants to write a little about what it's like where they've been will really help me out!

Some of the places I've been looking at visiting are Hermosillo, Mexicali, Nogalas, Monterrey

There are several places that might fit you description. Having been to Hermosillo several times, I would say it is a city that does not fit your description. It's primary focus is business and the locals are business like and polite, but not particularly warm. I have found that the best way to see if you will be comfortable in a place is to visit their mall where you can see how the locals interact, The mall in Hermosillo was mostly empty and efficient. No families, couples here and there but not holding hands, and some stores closed early. Keep in mind that we have been there several times. It's a good place to stop at while on a trip.

Other things to consider is can you tolerate heat for a few months, and are you looking for mountains, or the beach.

The city we live in ( Campeche)  fits your description very well, but it can get a few hot months. It is a historic city with all the culture and activity that comes with that heritage.  There is a very strong art culture and the streets display colorful multicolored houses as well as on going art work. I often take pictures of the sculptures in el centro. It is a bright vibrant city on a bay. The police are pleasant and helpful, and the taxis are reasonably priced.   Merida is 2 hours away if you are looking for something in a big city. Lot's of people travel there to shop but live here. The taxi drivers are nice in Merida, but much more expensive.
There is no expat community here but there are Europeans and a few Americans who live here. The air is clear and the people are very pleasant. If the Yucatan appeals there are little places here and there that are not like Playa del Carmen, Tulum, or Cancun in the tourist expat compound way. On the way to Belize we have stopped several time in Chetumal which is a very nice little city that might fit your needs.

If heat on occasion is not your thing you might check out Morelia which is in a more mountainous area  where they actually get temps in the 40's at times. It is a very culturally rich old city also. Not too large and situated  south east of Guadalajara..

If you have specific questions I will do what I can to help you. Just let me know what sort of climate you are looking for. We have a list of places we might consider if we ever decide to move on. So far none has tempted us enough.

Note: the logo picture is Campeche centro. .

Travellight thank you for the great recommendations! I think I can handle some heat if the charm of the area and the people are irresistible! I'm going to do a google search to look at pictures of the places you mentioned right now!

ThatGuyJay wrote:

Trying to figure out where I want to move in Mexico.

- a vibrant arts and music culture
- genuinely nice friendly people
- a city that has stuff to do but isn't super big
- decent enough infrastructure
- culture not based on US tourism
- cops and cabbies are not constantly trying to scam non-locals

The historic center of Zacatecas is a UNESCO World Heritage site and maintains a flavor that's a mix of 1600's-1800's flavors.  It boasts of having more museums than any city in Mexico.  There are plenty of art galleries and discos.  The underlying infrastructure is complete and modern enough to be comfortable.  There are plenty of historic, cultural and natural attractions.  Once you've been here for a little while, you get to know prices and you'll find cops, cabbies and local merchants are friendly, helpful and don't try to gouge you.

Zacatecas is located in the mountains at 7900 ft. above sea level.  That means the climate is cool and windy, sometimes downright cold in winter.  The historic part of the city is compact being the floor and both steep sides of a short valley.  Everything in "downtown" is walkable but if you live on a steep slope, you may want to take a taxi home for 25 pesos.  Major shopping including actual supermarkets is located about 2.5 miles out of the city halfway to its twin city Guadalupe.  There's a new mall about 2.5 miles from the city in the other direction that has a Liverpool, an upscale department store and a Sears.

Housing in downtown tends to be older and less luxurious.  The more affluent and those not wanting to be in the middle of the culture and tourist crowd tend to live in the more modern but still Mexican style neighborhoods where a car is a must.

There is a lot of international and Mexican tourism for the architecture, numerous cultural festivals and activities but no American or expat community.  I have lost track and two Americans I knew have moved recently so I'll guess there are less than a dozen Americans living here permanently.  The city depends a lot on tourism but outside a six block or so area, it's not obvious and in the six block area, it's not oppressive.

It's worth research on the Internet, looking in Lonely Planet and maybe a looksee trip if cold winters don't turn you off.

I forgot to mention that Zacatecas has a population of about 150,000 and Guadalupe around 100,000 in a wide area that's not too densely populated.

If you don't insist on a beach, you might be happy with Coatepec, Veracruz. A "Pueblo Mágico," Coatepec has a population of about 50,000 and comparatively few foreigners. Four rivers run through the town, and there are some spectacular waterfalls not far away. We enjoy a moderate temperature. It rains, and I would compare the climate in general to Seattle. We are at 4,000 feet, and a coffee-growing center. We also grow orchids in the spectacular cloud forest.

Xalapa, the capital of Veracruz, is 8 km away, where there is an excellent anthropological museum, several universities (they call it "the Athens of Mexico") and an excellent symphony orchestra, which plays concerts every Friday night. We have an English book exchange, housed in a local hacienda, which is also an alternative school and an exhibition space.

People here are friendly and helpful. There is an organic market downtown on Saturdays, and of course, the central market is open all week. There is a supermarket (Chedraui) but for Costco, etc. you have to go to Xalapa.

On reading your list I think that San Miguel de Allende is almost tailored to it.
About 115 thousand people
Large artist influence (galleries, art shows) and many different types of music.
Always something going on in town somewhere.
About 10K US & CND expats, depending on the time of year (many are part timers)
The taxi's are reliable, the Policia may put the bite to you but normally with cause.
Although the infrastructure varies by Colonia it is generally pretty good.
Overall a very friendly city. I meet people all the time that strike up conversation.
We have more tourist from Mexico City than anywhere else, so it is not a US tourist mecca. Hundreds of restaurants and a variety of large and small stores where you can find just about anything you may need.
Good luck with your search.

Merida is wonderful - friendly, safe and full of culture.  It's not touristy and everyone, including the tourist police are helpful -- you can find anything you need but the heat takes some getting used to.

I had to cancel a trip recently to Guanjuato and Queretaro so I cannot speak from experience --- however, after much research I felt they were good options for us.  Check them out.

Good luck!

hola travel lite. I have been to Yucatan twice all over. I liked Campeche a lot. Due to historical nature and Gulf . can you suggest areas to look for rental that are pleasant and secure  I want to come for 6 months in Oct.  and only am familiar with Zona historic and the waterfront area near Castillo. much as Gracias

I second Fred C's recommendation.  I'm originally from Portland, live in Mazatlán, but spend the hot summers in San Miguel de Allende.  There are plenty of artist/hippy types to keep you interested.   Plenty of art, culture, and a myriad of things to see and do.  It can be a little on the spendy side, but you can chose your standard of living, and be extremely pleased.  It does have the ability for you to go as gringo or Mexican as you want, and is full of friendly people.  Is the second largest gringo community, but not like the Ajijic/Chapala area where I've found people to be on the snooty side, and they roll up the sidewalks at 10:00 PM.  It is also a good base for travelling the area, and only 40 miles from Guanajuato, my most favorite city to visit.

Hi all...Just read all of these posts...and happy to see them.  I am about to book my flight to Guanajuato,..and will take the bus to San Miguel de Allende...then will spend the next two weeks...experiencing the expat lifestyle...in several cities..by these nice buses.  I am also an ESL teacher and hope to find a little work here and there..if okay with
the Mexican govt.  I will be a 'traveler'..a 'national'?...and then perhaps I will fly to Paris, then Iceland...and just be
'on the road' for several years...not sure.  Things are getting a bit dicey in the states...and two friends relocated to Costa Rica two years ago...and I see why they did...they knew something was coming.  I am a bit worried about using my Direct Express card..to access my social security...I mean what if the dollar drops...and suddenly we cannot get our ss to live on?  I feel we are in a 'political crisis'..which means ..many of us do not know who is in charge in the U.S... Well, we do have our 'city states'...that is our counties, cities...and those are stable.  I have always found work..so I hope Mexico lets me work a bit..teaching English, writing..drama... My website says it all...www.thedramaschool.com...  Tell me what you know about the safest, most free, cheapest place to live in Mexico, Costa Rica, etc...Thanks so much....Cj :cheers: Drama for youth and adults...plays, improv, and more...

Well Philforrester

I live in the San Francisco barrio, which isn't that far from el centro, yet close to the bay and the Liverpool plaza. Things are pretty safe and pleasant here.  Where to rent depends on what you want to spend, You might want to look at the Gallardo Bienes Raices  web site. www.gallardobienesraices.com. They have a variety of nice places and speak some English.

When we first came here we tried looking on our own, and decided quickly that an agent would be better, and it was. My landlady and my neighbors are wonderful.

Well, if you are going to be wandering, maybe this topic is no longer current. Please don't base your decisions on paranoia about the future, though. As for Mexico, you do need to specify climate. I, for instance, hate heat and humidity. So the Yucatan is out for living, although certainly worth a visit. I think the suggestion of Coatepec-Xalapa is excellent. No gringos or hardly any, and Xalapa has an outrageous cultural life, a major art program in an important university, aoo kinds of things are constantly happening. It is not a beautiful city but you could live outside. I saw a neat place advertised for rent in the woods between Coatepec and Xalapa and thought how neat that would be - if I drove! Coatepec is very interesting, a well known alternative health center, but a bit small for a smashing cultural life. Being near both could be great! Not too cold either - San Cristobal de las Casas is very beautiful and has a lot of activity, but a fair amount of tourists too. However, the houses are cold and damp, you need to be able to bear that. Chiapas is a fantastic fascinating state with marvelous indigenous culture to explore. And it is very near the border to Guatemala (I like being near borders, and that is convenient if you need to go out every six months). A less cold and excellent choice  - a great climate really - is Oaxaca. Lots of culture, a lovely town, some gringos of course and a tourist population - but not "dependent" as you say. I think that you are asking for contradictory things, and will have to compromise. C'est la vie! And, again, close to the border. Morelia has a lot of culture, an architecturally interesting center, and some gringo life; Patzcuaro nearby is lovely, all adobe, lively, but cold and damp like San Cristobal. You should visit all these places (a great trip you will not regret!) - And, to finish, the most amazing cultural life is found in Mexico City, so considering (if you can afford it, it is pricey) a charming area like Coyoacan or a place a bit outside of the city could be fruitful too. I don't think much happens in Chetumal but then again, Belize is right there! Zacatecas is arid desert, and felt odd and isolated to me. Rather particular, I would not consider it myself. Well, good luck!

Gracias Senor    La Ciudad Campeche es bueno ! Salud