Philippines travel

Recently I have had the urge to travel to the PH since I have been to Thailand. I am writing this because I read somewhere that it is more dangerous to travel to the Philippines then it is to Thailand.

Would someone tell me if this is true and if so where should I avoid.  I am thinking of going to Cebu City, General Santos and of course Manila.  If there any cities I should avoid I would like to know.

Thanks for your help.

Hello Jason,
I'll move your topic to Philippines forum so that you get adequate responses :)
Cheers
Arlette

This is to address Jason's concern. 

Travelling to the Philippines is generally safe with some areas more prominent to crime just like most major cities in the world.  The cities that you mentioned are major cities in the Philippines where insurgents (communist rebels and muslim separatist)do not have a strong presence or do not make their presence felt. 

Try to avoid Basilan, Zamboanga and Jolo where muslim insurgents have a stronghold and parts of Quezon province where communist rebels might stray.  Just stick to well travelled routes and areas where there is heavy security like the cities you mentioned and you should be alright.

Metro Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Aklan, Boracay, Palawan are on the top of my list of must-see places in the Philippines. They are typical tourist destinations and are safe. The locals are used to seeing foreigners walking around shopping for souvenirs and looking for bargains. I'm not too comfy with General Santos though for the simple reason that it's land-locked in the same island (if I remember my geography right) with Basilan and Zamboanga Vin mentioned about.

hello, i came from philippines, and im proudly to be a filipino, theres is misconception about Phils. everywhere is nt safe, theres a bad / good people, but all i have to say that not all the cities in the phils are dangerous.

some things you have to avoid:
1. avoid to wear expensive jewelries that can attract attention
2. avoid to bring cash, instead use debit/credit card as technology is concerned phils are very modern when it comes to automatic paying machines.
3. always be aware and presence of mind - filipinos are very hospitable, accommodating, very friendly, and they know how o take good care of their visitors, and guests.

have a nice trip,,,lil suggestion, try to go/visit BORACAY & PALAWAN,, just like paradise of Eden., better than Thailand, and we filipino are more and better fluently in English language.

Hi,

I suggest Cebu,Dumaguete City, Bohol Island, Boracay. Philippines has 7,107 islands to explore just don't try to visit some of the areas where extremists reside.

I've been to General Santos and Saranggani but still theres a question about safety. But the place is amazing specially saranggani.

jason3164,

Even in Los Angeles, there are places that you should avoid.

If I were to choose where you should go to enjoy tropical and friendly cities, I would go to :

- Palawan (world class snorkelling and diving which rivals the Great Barrier Reef of Australia),
- Boracay (excellent sand beaches),
- Samar Island (excellent sand beaches),
Davao (major city plus paradise islands hopping, snorkelling and diving),
Surigao (for Surfing)

I would avoid Cebu and Greater Manila because it is generally abundant of thieves, drugs and other criminal activities.

I would not recommend General Santos City, its generally Christian town but the islamic extremist are spreading in that town.

Hello Jason 3164

I agreed to most of the previous comments.
If you will be staying here in Manila, and you just want to visit near provinces, I would suggest Tagaytay-Palace in the sky or Picnic Grove's horse-back riding, also try Villa Escudero plantation and resort, on the border of Tiaong, Quezon, and San Pablo City, Laguna or the hot springs in Laguna.