Is there a new tax in dominican for visitors

for staying 31 days versus 4 weeks  I heard they are putting on a tax  but on the dominican embassy site it says you can stay 2 months no problem

Overstay fine kicks in at day 30!

So yes for 31 days you will most likely get hit with an exit fine ($2500 pesos)

Bob K

that is so sad last year  I paid an extra 800 pesos for being there  35 days one border guy said i did not have to pay the other said its too late he already  took the money but here i;ve stay over a month buy food booze rent from dominicans keep the economy running along and they hit  me with a fine ; so what happens to people that are there for 6 months and then go  home can  you apply for temporary status to avoid the fine

Yes if you are going to be here 6 months a year then apply for residency.

I believe you can also extend  your visitors visa for 30 (may be 60) more days but that will require a trip to the immigration office in Santo Domingo.

Bob K

IN some countries if you overstay a visa you face going to jail!!!

It isn't enough to rent a place, buy food etc.  Those of us who live here full or half time with residency  pay taxes etc for the privilege of being here. It is NOT a right it is a privilege.  Paying an overstay fine is NOTHING.  Either do it or get residency, those are the choices.

Planner blunt and so TRUE.  Everyone thinks that there is a "free" ride here.

Sorry folks but just like Death, Taxes and fees are inevitable.

Bob K

In any case some people who complain about exit fines probably don't realise what a good deal they are getting in DR.
For long term stay its probably the easiest place in the world.

I recall many years ago when living in Thailand, every three months I had to leave the country, nearest place with embassy was Malaysia, which meant a three day trip on train there and back, hotel and Visa costs etc, expensive experience and very tiresome and time wasting.
and if you overstay yes as Planner said you end up in jail....in Thailand they charged you for each overstay day and some people ended up with horrendous amounts of money to pay -and if they couldn't pay spent months in jail,

So really the exit fines here are actually a bargain, although people may not realise it!

My only fear is it may change one day and there are various rumours floating around about that, how true only time will tell.

Yes it may change in the future and that would be a good thing for the country. However I would imagine that there would then be available some sort of plan (many multiple different entrance visas for 30.60,90 days) in place when it does.

The government is smart enough to realize that tourists are very valuable to the economy but that long time visitors really contribute nothing and many times cost the government money.

Bob K

Long time visitors don't live on air & live in a vacuum.  The only difference is that they don't spend the few thousand dollars to get their residency.  Getting legal is best, but don't say that they are a drag on the system.   Money spent to live is money spent.  I agree that they should obtain legal status, but do not castigate them with emotion, do it with logic.   Not everyone has $30,000 plus to live on each year.   Casting aside the money issues, we are all the same species, humans.   Sometimes people tend to forget this.   We do not all ride the same bus in life, no one is better than anyone else.   Elitism shows up in the strangest places.    I do not disagree with the arrows, just from whence they come.

Never thought I was better than anyone else.  Having 5K to live on or 10K, or 50K or 100K makes no difference on if you should be here legally or not.

However forcing those living here to get residency my cut down on Interpol's work and keep some of the non desirables out.  So maybe I think I am better then them :D:D:D:D

Bob K

The few bad guys that exist here will always come, no matter what laws exist.  Like gun control will never keep guns out of the hands of crooks & looneys.( crazies ). And the crooks usually have the most money.   Bring Judge Roy Bean back !!      Bob,  sometimes syntax can be misleading.

I disagree with some of these comments.

First of all coming and renting,  buying food, staying etc DOES NOT COVER the investments made here.

Who paid for the roads?
Who pays for the hospitals and upkeep?
Who pays for the schools?
The police force (for what it is )
The  coastline maintenance?
The coast Guard (For what it is)
The ENTIRE INFRASTRUCTURE here?

That is paid with ALL the tax dollars!  That include income tax, property tax etc etc etc.   TOURISTS do not contribute to that the same way. And I am referring to the "long term stay" type of tourist, not the guys coming on a  2  week package.    I am also referring to the expats who live here and do not live here legally.  IF you are here and working - online or on the ground - they you need to pay taxes in order to be "legal".  IF you are retired and living here then you need to get residencia which allows this to happen legally!  If you are here and working then get legal! 

In comparison to many other  countries we are very lenient!  Many others make you leave ever 90 days AND they are cracking down on that too.  Costa Rica is a good example of that.  Others just don't let you stay!

In my opinion - we need to stop complaining and start accepting things as they are and as they are likely to be. IF you cannot afford to live here, cannot afford to get residencia, then do you have any RIGHT to be here?  I am asking the question not passing judgement.

MMmmh tend to agree with Gypsy on this one, long term stayers may not pay tax, but spend a lot of money here in the time they do stay, which indirectly benefits the local population. Just one example the Apt I rent would be empty and owner would lose money - and there would be a lot of empty places, if all the long term stayers would have to leave.

And  as for what Planner said about long term stayers not contributing much just paying for food, accommodation, etc and that it is taxes being spent on  infrastructure, police etc,,,,Mmhh well personally I can not see much evidence of that and am reminded of it every time the lights go out, or the taps run dry! Some infrastructure!

More likely a lot of the money destined for infrastructure etc goes into the pockets of certain people!

Regardless the roads did not build themselves. The hospitals and school do not just show up!   It takes tax money.  YES tourists and long term visitors DO contribute but not enough.

This country has the right to impose fees is my point people.  Pay it and stop complaining! IT is small enough in comparison to MOST other countries.

Planner well said. I agree whole heartedly.

Bob K

:D

Get rid of the tourists and snowbirds completely and see how long the island stays afloat :D I'm with gypsy and TP on this one.  If we were talking about Chicago, NY, or LA I would vote with you guys, but DR...........Naaaaaaah :cool: tourism is the lifeline of that Island.

It is not the tourist they are targeting.  They know it is their lifeline.  Rather the sucker fish that live here basically full time and are not here legally. I am sure once the dust settles there will be a tiered level of "tourist visa/card" With maybe one good for 30 days like currently done and then one for up to 6 months for a slightly higher fee.  If you are here longer than 6 months at time then you are not longer a "tourist"

Bob K

I agree with Bob,  we are NOT talking about tourists - get that straight!!!!  WE are talking about the people who LIVE HERE ILLEGALLY!!!!   Yes overstaying a tourist or other visa makes you illegal.  There will come a time when you will have to pay a specific FEE to stay longer, if not then  get RESIDENCIA!!!!!

Yep

Bob K

The 18% VAT is a big tax.  Property taxes are very low, there is no income tax.  Some ex-pats have a corporation & pay a yearly fee to have one as well are taxed on any profits they earn.  Taxes are paid on utilities, rent, food, gas & gasoline , jugs of water etc.  What other taxes do residents pay that illegals don't pay?   How much a year does it come to, percentage of your income or assets?   Just what is the amount?   Interested in how much more the legal pay to live here.   I believe in becoming legit...It doesn't pay to be pissed off at those who aren't legal.   Rather a change in the method of becoming legal should be changed, much like how certain other illegals are getting their  cedulas .   Not for free but a hell of a lot less than it is at present.   Just my opinion of course.    I hope this doesn't raise your ire as you have shown before.

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!! you are here because they LET YOU COME. not because you have any right to come here. THAT IS THE POINT!!! And yes we pay income tax!!!! WE pay lots of taxes!!!! 

Getting legal here is VERY INEXPENSIVE compared to most other places!!!!

Yes those that work pay income tax,but what do the retired non working legal pay that the not legal pay is my question?   People who do not have a large income are just as valuable to society.   Many volunteer their time & work within the community.   Break no laws & are an asset to the culture.   All people, regardless of of income level, have the desire to live on this beautiful island.   We are fortunate to be here.   Perhaps an  extended 1 year visa could be established for them.  Being of limited means shouldn't be a liability for acceptance as a person of value.  Granted, the DR is not expensive to obtain legality compared to other countries.   I look forward to spending th rest of my life here, legal, of course.     How do the locals making 4 t0 6,ooo pesos a month pay their income taxes?   With the VAT that everyone pays, how do they manage to pay income tax?      Also, the profits made by the A I's don't stay on island, they are sent off island, therefore the tourist $$ spent doesn't help the local economy very much.   A few low paying jobs & the purchase of comestibles etc from local sources.     Off the subject,  how come plane fare from Miami to SD is $234 W/RT, while the fare to Puerta Plata is $588 W/RT ?      Something coo-coo going on here.  Basically the same air miles.   Have to stir the pot or the soup will burn.

IT DOESN"T MATTER - its not your country!  They make the decisions NOT EXPATS. You are here courtesy of the people and the government! PERIOD!

Dear Planner... I believe that gypsy, TP, myself and many others feel that some of you who are legal are coming across negatively towards those who are not. To those of you who have gone that route....congrats. Those who have not, then so be it. When the time comes, they will have to choose their path. Those who are not legal, pay taxes on food, clothes, Internet services, car rentals, entertainment etc......yes there might be certain taxes they do not pay as legal residents, but that is still no reason to say they are a drag on the island. As gypsy said, not everyone wants to live on the island permanently or become a citizen, so if the government wants to work out those kinks then great. If they are going to take care of this in the same fashion as the long time Hatian Immigration problem, then all of us will be long gone, before this little discussion we are having gets fixed......so until then......to my legals, congrats, and to my illegals, get legal if you wish, but if you don't......Then as we say in New York...Do You Baby :cool:  live and let live, no judgements :D

Here is an interesting article on those so called taxes...l do not know if this is the same as exit fees, but somebody is running quite the racket at the airport and it seems to be illegal.....the article is in Spanish so feel free to translate with Google http://www.detrasdelrumor.com.do/diputa … -del-pais/

As far as getting legal, I will decide after a dry run :cool:

I have no issue with choices, to each his own. Just stop whining about it!

Time to get off the bandwagon & step down & join us mere mortal folks!

Not whining at all planner, it makes no difference to me, it seems that the legal ones, are the ones trying to get everyone else to join their wagon :D

Boys the wagon is the LEGAL ONE.  That is the point. I don't care what you all do!   Just stop complaining about the fees! That is all.  For the record I am no better then anyone else but I do not and did not complain about what the government wants Expats to pay in fees.  I do not like the process, I think  it is ridiculous but it is THEIR process not ours. We are guests here we have no RIGHT to be here. 

IF you do not like it, do not come here. Simple. 

I am closing this thread.

Before you close the thread let me say that it is up to each individual to do what he or she wants just know the consequences before you do it.  It is not our rules, regulations, laws but theirs so you have to live with it. You are not going to change it. 

So yes if you stay over 30 days you will pay a fee.  You know that up front. As the laws change you may have to as well. Until then do what feels "good" for you.  Just know what you are dealing with.

Bob K

Hi everybody,

I can see that everything has been said here.

As such, i am closing this thread.

Thank you

Priscilla

(Topic closed )

Closed