Moving to New Zealand

Hiya

We have started thinking seriously about leaving South Africa for New Zealand.  We are a family of 3 and I've heard on several occassions to rather not use a immigration agency but to DIY instead.

Any updated guideance would be appreciated.

Our current choices of countries seem to be New Zealand, Australia or Canada.  We are a relaxed family who love the outdoors and the countryside and of course the natural beauty a country has to offer.

Our son is 9 years old and currently in a private school (almost essential now if you live in RSA) so good quality education is important to us.  Safety and future job prospects are also essential.  I would not want my son to have to hunt for work abroad after his studies.

Where to from here?

Jenni

Hello JenSioux,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your introduction.

I have created a new thread on the New Zealand forum with your message for a better visibility.

From here on, I suggest that you browse through the New Zealand forum for more information. We have different categories in the forum; for example to find out more about education in New Zealand, you can have a look at the Schools & studies in New Zealand forum to get a better idea.

As for the question of safety in New Zealand, you can browse through the Everyday Life in New Zealand forum. And do not hesitate to participate in the threads or to even create a new thread for your own queries.

And since Australia and Canada are amongst your choice of countries to go to, you can also go through the Australia forum and the Canada forum.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Oz and Canada are better option. NZ does not have very many jobs. In addition Auckland is very very expansive and hard to make ends meet. It is always better to do immigration paperwork by yourself first to save monies. Immigration officers will tell you if you make mistakes.

I agree.  Do your own paperwork.  It honestly is not that hard if you have a good command of the english language and can follow step by step instructions.

But I would also say go somewhere else.  I do not know what the education system is like in SA but many immigrants who return to the UK say their children are about 2 years behind when they go back.  My friend, a UK teacher, has been here three years and she is horrified at the lack of formal education.  But if your children are heavily into sport,  especially rugby or netball, as opposed to academic subjects, then this is the place for you.

And check out the world university rankings.  Massey University is one of New Zealands leading educational institutions yet it rates at number 346 in the world rankings on one site.  I gave up finding any NZ uni on another site after the first 200.

Safety is also low on the list of priorities in NZ.  As for future job prospects?  You would need a crystal ball for that.  We were on the skilled shortage list until a few years ago. Now the universities have churned out hundreds of graduates and there are not enough jobs to go round.  There is no job safety here anymore but perhaps it will have changed by the time your son reaches adulthood.  What I can say is he will get his degree easier here compared to other countries.