How to teach English in Beijing ?

Hi,
I am thinking of becoming an English teacher in Beijing and would be grateful if you could help me with the following questions.I do not teach nor have I ever been a teacher and I have no qualifications in English study apart from a CSE from my high-school in 1986. I am from Manchester in the UK so am a native speaker.

1.As a non-teacher what qualification would I need to do basic English teaching in China?

2.How easy/difficult is it to get a teaching job once I have a qualification?

At present my Chinese girlfriend is studying in the UK and at some point in the future I see us moving to her home city of Beijing,hence the need to earn a living whilst there.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

Hi Dave!

Your discussion has been moved to Beijing forum, allowing you to interact with other members.

Good Luck!

Sheetul.

Dave  hi,

The market in China for English teachers ranges from more reputable establishments that require a university degree plus TEFL qualification to some less reputable that will hire anyone who looks Caucasian and will prefer the non-native English speaking Caucasian to a native speaking non Caucasian.

The more reputable schools will pay more and less chance of being scammed. Please be careful because despite the fact that are legit schools there also numerous horror stories specifically to do with payment and visas.

I am not a teacher so can not give you inside info but I suggest you run a quick internet search and check out the TEFL china yahoo group and Dave's ESL Cafe.

Thanks for the information :)