English teaching experiences in china

Could anybody share the good, bad and ugly of teaching in china.  I am attending a TESOL couse in Thailand next week and I am looking for information prior to committing.

Wow, with all the teaching jobs available in China no one has any experiences.  Seeing how most people like to let people know the bad, I will just assume it is a great place to teach.

I never saw this before, so it must have been buried on the 2nd or 3rd page.  That's probably why no one replied.

You don't need any TESOL or anything similar to teach in China.  Being from the United States is good enough.

It helps though if you are white and under 30.

Manlin wrote:

It helps though if you are white and under 30.

That's a given.  It's China, after all.

I am 46 with old school comprehensive English, don't let that put you off, I`m Hip!

YOLO  (you only live once)

drew1967 wrote:

I`m Hip!

YOLO  (you only live once)

I think you just contradicted yourself there.

Oi you young whipper snapper!, not got a note attached to my toe just yet saying "do not resuscitate"

YOLO is what heard from a pair of teens saying between classes. Though I have a go at this new fab trend. CTODNT (cant train old dogs new tricks) teehee.

I think "fab" went out with Beatle boots.

Hailey I'm with you on this one. Fab died out back in the 60's along with groovy.

Drew says "Godamit"

Back on topic, any ESL experiences in which schools are not foreign teacher friendly. I mean like regarding attitudes, teaching standards, province and salary promises Etc. Perhaps a guide on very good schools to apply for. Maybe rated by teachers past and present.

Not a teacher and not had any such experience.  Try the various ESL yahoo groups

Manlin wrote:

Hailey I'm with you on this one. Fab died out back in the 60's along with groovy.

You're probably right, but my friends and I used to say "groovy" in high school well after the '60s.

I've heard lots of horror stories about teaching English in China, but I haven't experienced any of it first-hand.

I see you are in Hong Kong, How are you finding it compared to Shenzhen? for instance,  Pay rates any different? Pupils any different to teach, culture difference's between China and HK. Nice to see expats living it and talking about it. Gives us non travellers a great insight.

I've never been a teacher in Hong Kong or Shenzhen, so I can't really say.  The culture is both different and the same.  It's like going from New York to Nebraska.  Unless you're British, then that might not mean anything to you.  It's like going from London to Edinburgh.

Thanks Hailey, I am currently in Da Nang Vietnam teaching adults for FCE. Been thinking about teaching in China for a while now. I think it's a  great way to experience new cultures. Take care....

Hi, Im from Hong Kong.

Its different of teaching in China and teaching in HK

As i know, some city in mainland China, " Being from the United States is good enough. " this is true. like the dun care about did u studied in any University before. As long as youre from America, and you look American, then thats enough for them.

But in HK, they will ask u to show them ure certificates and ur teaching experience, and many other requirements.

jameskai2 wrote:

Hi, Im from Hong Kong.

Its different of teaching in China and teaching in HK

As i know, some city in mainland China, " Being from the United States is good enough. " this is true. like the dun care about did u studied in any University before. As long as youre from America, and you look American, then thats enough for them.

But in HK, they will ask u to show them ure certificates and ur teaching experience, and many other requirements.

No worries, I have degree, teaching certification from USA, experience and TOSEL.

Its good, but its still not easy
beaceuse in HK, almost every school has couple of foreign teachers, like even
Its not easy, but u can still give it a try  :)