LD 4000 , What does it mean in Tripoli?

Dear members,
We are a family, parent and 3 children age 1 to 5. We consider an offer in Tripoli of LYD 4000 monthly but no other allowances i.e. all expenses to be covered by this amount.

We cannot make an informed decision on what that means in Tripoli and appreciate your advice:

We will need:
- a decent 2-3 beds apartment/house (not luxury but clean)!
- Pre-school arrangement for the kids! 
- Other monthly expenses!

We really appreciate your comments to think properly about the worthiness of such an offer.

thanks a lot,
Parents

You'll be looking at 1500-2000LYD minimum for a place to live. Yes, there are some cheaper places, but with 3 wee'uns you need somewhere 1/2 decent. Sorry, I can't advise on childcare.
Will you need a car? Look to factor in 500LYD++ for this.
But what else are they offering ? You must have private healthcare included, especially with 3 kids. And will they pay for at least  flight home per year for the family? Alot of families leave during summer when the schools are shut and it's so hot - ie too hot for the kids to play outside.
Look at the overall package, not just the base salary and be prepared to accept a reduction in quality of life.

4000 LYD / month is a lot by Libyan standards, but you're expats and there is a secondary expat economy here. When vendors and landlords see you are expats, you can expect a different pricing. 

Our rent for a 3500sq ft, four bedroom villa with a pool and guard house was LYD 4,400/month. Scandolous rates, but there is was. STill, it's a LOT less than the 5000-7500 Euros at Palm City. You should be able to find something in the realm of 2,000LYD. It won't be new or clean.  Doubt it'd have a pool.  That won't leave much for car(s)/driver, health care and preschool. 

We are in Canada now, but were at the American School last year.  Pre school (ages 3-5) at the American School is $8,500/year ($ not dinar).  Most host employers - embassies and companies pay tuition for expat employees.

We were paid in dollars direct to our US bank account. 

Bottom line, I don't know who your offer is from, but I'd revisit the original offer.  Expats tend to have better packages than what you describe.  Life in Libya is very challenging and having a generous compensation package helps you deal with the differences.  Companies bring in expats to work here because they have the experience, expertise and education that is hard to find among Libyans since the country has been out of the global loop for so long. So if they want you as an expat, they should pay for you as an expat (as opposed to a very well paid Libyan which is what seems to be your offer)

Also, I'd check to see that the company actually does hire expats on a regular basis. The visa/residency red tape here is a nightmare if your company doenst' know what it's doing or expects you to manage all that yourself.  don't do it.  Make them do it.

As an all inclusive package for a family of 5 this is pretty low.

I don't think this salary will cover all your expenses in Libya if you have to cover rent, transportation schooling etc. in this figure.

I echo both of the comments above. The money they are offering is NOT decent for a family, especially if you are European (sounds racist, but it is the way of the world out here). It is not as cheap in Tripoli as some people make out, as soon as they see you as a 'white eye' the price goes up by about 25%. If you could live on bread,water and tuna alone you would be Ok. Vegetables are cheap, meat is on a par with prices in the UK, housing is expensive for what you get, that is until you go to the likes of Janzour where value for money is far more apparent.

Make sure they are offering paid flights home, at least 2 a year, you will need them believe me, as Mudman says ensure that medical insurance is covered (for what it's worth) at least for the kids.

I would need to know what type of work you do before suggesting a decent salary.

Between myself and my wife we spend probably about £1000 (I know folks, it is a new and revised amount to what I have stated before) per month on food and (cough cough) entertainment. That does include eating out at least once a week and taxi's as we don't own a car. That equates to about 2000LYD per month, and our accommodation is paid for by my company.

Forgot to ask (or too dumb to notice) is the 4000 per month you quote LYD, USD or GBP ?

Thanks all, Appreciated.
It is a teaching job in a local university. I believe the offer is based on my origin (being originally from Jordan i.e. an Arab) not based on my expertise having 12 years of experience. Unfortunately, I thought such a practice is only in the Gulf region.

I think with such an offer we will end up living with expatriate expenses but with a local salary. We have to re-consider that as it seems it doesn't worth the move.

Thanks a lot,

Parents_ wrote:

Thanks all, Appreciated.
It is a teaching job in a local university. I believe the offer is based on my origin (being originally from Jordan i.e. an Arab) not based on my expertise having 12 years of experience. Unfortunately, I thought such a practice is only in the Gulf region.

I think with such an offer we will end up living with expatriate expenses but with a local salary. We have to re-consider that as it seems it doesn't worth the move.

Thanks a lot,

Parents, no problem at all with the help. It does sound like the salary has been offered that low because of your nationality, which as I have stated before is just plain wrong.

4000LYD is actually quite a high salary for locals (in my experience, I stand to be corrected by locals here), most of the guys in my office are on about half that, they work in IT and some have 10 years plus experience.

But as you have correctly stated, it is not enough to live on for a family living an ex pat lifestyle, schooling alone would take up most of your wage, and that is before you take into account housing etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Parents,

I didn't meet any "western" expats teaching at any of the universities so I don't know if we can say that it's your birth nationality that is the reason for the non-expat offer. 

Certainly a factor in your offer is the likelihood that salaries at universities are not going to come close to the salaries of engineering consultants in the oil and construction industries.

I've lived in developing countries on local wages before, but I was young, single, no kids, and did have access to excellent western health care that my host country counterparts did not have.  It was a wonderful experience and the best way to get to know the country. 

Expat life in Libya is a bubble culture separate from the Libyan culture. It's fun for sure, and priviledged no doubt, but it's difficult to break out of the bubble to experience local life. 

So, while 4,000LYD is low on expat yardsticks, it might be just the thing if you are looking for a way to leave Ireland and experience Libya. 

Having said that, at this stage in my life, and having a high school aged child, there is no way I'd do it.  However, if they'd add medical care at Medilink and tuitition at a local international school for your kids you'd be looking at a substantially better offer. 

As a non-working spouse, I'd like to add one more point to your considerations.  If your spouse will not be working (which, with such young children, I'd assume would be likely) if there is a language barrier, your spouse will have a tough time socially linking up with other English language speakers. 

Long Story: 

I lived in Gaza when my daughter was still pre-school age. there were very few other English speaking women with children my daughter's age and although I worked hard at learning Arabic, it was difficult to make a full day.  Also, there was no English language preschool; we enrolled my daughter in a Palestinian pre-school.  Just as we were getting settled into a routine, the Al Aqsa intifada began, my husband's project was put on suspension and we had to leave.  Six months later the project was restarted but we were required to live in Israel rather than Gaza.  I chose to stay in the States for the first few months, later, when the International School of Gaza opened, my daughter and I joined my husband and we enrolled her in the school.  That meant commuting everyday to Gaza to take her to school; I volunteered there as well and took Arabic lessons.  It was a good year aside from the commute through a military zone and living in Israel (which was like living among the enemy - I suspect many of our neighbors in the Israeli town somehow knew what we did; and, Israelis tend to be an unfriendly, closed society) ood time.  then again, I've found Palestinians to be a thousand more times more open and friendly than Libyans. 

Good luck in your decision.