Looking for advices

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are coming to Nicaragua for our first (of hopefully many) adventures in this new country.  We would love to meet up with new friends and listen to their stories and advice on seeing the most wonderful things the country has to offer.  Any advice would be warmly welcomed! Thank you!

cdlangton:

Here's some advice:

1.  Don't change money at the airport, it's marked up 15-20%.  Use the ATMs at the airport, change it at a bank, or some hotels. 

2.  Don't forget to visit Managua, which many travelers mistakenly avoid.  We have the Managua Lakefront (Malecon), the Plaza de la Revolution (Cathedral, Presidential Palace, Eternal tombs, etc.), the Museum  Huellas de Acahualinca (fossilized footprints), ZipLine at the Loma de Tiscapa ($15 for 1.2km of zipline over three stops), view of Managua also at the Loma de Tiscapa, several flea-type markets, the Chaman discotech for those who want to party, five malls, and hundreds of restaurants.

3.  There's not a lot of violent crime in Nicaragua, but tourists are targeted by pickpockets and purse slashers certain areas.  Leave your passport at the hotel and travel with a photocopy.  Some hotels will stamp them for you.

4.  The toll-free police line for tourists is 101.  Regular 911 is 118.  Don't bother 118 from a cell phone, it often just rings.  101 is usually answered from cell phones.  101 is supposed to be bilingual. 

5.  Negotiate taxi fares before you get in the cab.  Tell the taxi drivers to quote you a price for a direct trip where he does not pick up other passengers.  Otherwise, it'll be sort of like a bus with him picking up people on the way.  Of course, it will cost more for a taxi to go direct.  Most taxis will allow you to rent them for around $10/hour.  Do not pay a taxi more than $15 from the airport to a hotel in Managua.  Airport taxis usually ask for $20, but that is too much. 

Any other questions, let us know.

Hi cdlangton,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Nicaragua forum for more visibility and for a better interaction with the other members.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers: