Safety and security in today's Nicaragua

Advice and information wanted.  I was scheduled to come to Nicaragua as a development worker with a Canadian NGO on June 24th, 2018.  However, all Canadian volunteers have been evacuated, and now, their contracts terminated.  This situation will be reviewed regularly over the coming two-three months I expect so that, should things stabilize over the short term, contracts might be reinstated. 

I am considering my options, and wonder if it would be relatively safe for me to go and live temporarily in Nicaragua, while I wait for the NGO to reinstate, or to look around for independent living options, maybe working at a university.  I was scheduled to go to Granada, which is where I would likely start, though Leon is also a possibility. 

Are there simply "no go" zones, or times?  Can a foreigner BE IN Nicaragua with relative safety, just avoiding protests, political involvement?

At this time it would not be advisable to go to Nicaragua. The situation is fluid but lines have been drawn in the political arena and we have no idea how this will be resolved. It could be resolved very quickly or it will be a protracted situation. Roads are being barricaded, supply lines are in question universities especially are taking sides.

No foreigners have been endangered that I am aware of but with the lack of mobility, the closing of most embassy services and unknown government actions it is not the time to travel in Nicaragua. Surprisingly, very few expats are leaving unless it escalates.

Mucho gracias para tu respuesto. Do you mind if I ask you what your perspective is, are you from the States, Canada, elsewhere or native Nica? 

In any case, I hope you will revisit this page from time to time and update as things evolve.  It is really difficult to get news "on the ground", ie. that is not filtered through one biased lens or another.

We are from the states but have lived here for 13 years.

At present the universities are not "active". My housemate came here to study medicine, and 1 week later the turmoil started. Since then students and many professors are claiming an independent university and want to abandon the strictly FSLN-dominated structure.

It is totally unknown when the universities (the students are the initiators of the protests) will resume their normal activity - probably not this semester.

You can follow some news (of the opposition) here: 100% noticias, Radio Dario 89.3, La Prensa or - (pro-government) El Nuevo Diario to get yourself an impression and make up your decision.

Good topic !

If people can update it time to time it will be nice.

I'm coming in august so i'd like to have more news from people in Nica (just to know)

Gracias bye bye :)

Hi Willow 69380,

Sorry - but it does not look good at all, our feeling is that it gets worse every day.

You should absolutely follow the news on Nicaragua at least weekly. If you don't have anything important to do here or just come for tourism, better forget it for the time being.

Many expats here are either leaving or working on their Plan B.

I am canadian too and my spouse is nicaraguense.. We do have assets in Nicaragua but we are in Canada now trying to help and influence the canadian government to put more pressure on that dictature. 

If you re an investor, american, european or canadian, also NGO worker, would you please provide information, statistics about foreign investment, also canadian investment, in Nicaragua and how it has been impacted and how damageable this could be if that crisis last for a longer period?

I would love to read statistics..
You can send me the link
Or ask a private chat..
Thanks
JF

I would like to know who is really doing the majority of the shooting? I read an article on informationclearinghouse soon after it started and it suggested that it was being done by American funded/inspired provacateurs......There is some good information on that site, but never the less you cant believe everything which is written and published there any more than globalresearch.com or some of the other high level intellectual sites even tho the quality of the writing is excellent.........Wtf is really goin on there..........is this a genuine rebellion against an authoritarian regime or has it been engineered from the outside.....?  I have been in Nicaragua twice in the last year without any serious issues......and all over the country......but I did talk to a lot of educated Nicas and did come away with the impression that people were NOT happy.......

Just read this one on Nica Today:  http://todaynicaragua.com/no-hay-ley-en … s-fleeing/

During the last month, I traveled by myself from León, Nicaragua, to Managua, Nicaragua, to San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua to Cañas, Costa Rica to San Jose, Costa Rica and back.

If someone sets up a bi-weekly teleconference, I can speak about the ongoing safety concerns in Nicaragua, as the situation appears to change from week to week, and you need persons who are actually traveling around in Nicaragua to tell you what is going on and how to look for the indications of safety.  Because I am giving a personal opinion, I'd rather talk about it in a teleconference and have a back and forth conversation versus writing down something online.

My opinion is in no way to tell you to do one thing or another. I am just telling you what I do to travel around Nicaragua.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Promotion of own website ?
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

So its a done deal in Nicaragua? No one even chimes in on the current state of affairs?  Pathetic.........Daniel and of course John Chip to thank for this sorry state of affairs........will expect to find more info on rt.com or aljazeerah...........

Did you resolve this? I just read your post now. You are welcome to live in my vacant house on a beach on Isla Ometepe. It is safe there.

Thanks for the offer....Might take you up on it for a short time......How is the system of things working now in Nicaragua? I haave heard that Tica Bus and other bus services are back on track...Is that accurate? Food supply, elect, water etc.........

Everything works - electricity, water, internet, streets are repaired. I just spent one lovely relaxing week in a very nice hotel close to SJDS.

Here in Leon everything is tranquilo, some hostals and restaurants are reopening.

If you don't meddle in politics, you will have a quiet stay.

I would like to update my status on Nicaragua. It has now been 16 months since the socio-political issues. Tourism is way down but things are very calm, certainly no danger to tourists and expats. The larger stores are open but many hotels and restaurants are still closed due to lack of business rather than safety concerns. Some places, like Hacienda Iguana, are actually doing well since they have the surfers still coming. It appears to be the new norm. We have been here almost 14 years and have no plans to leave or move.