Retirees hoping to move to Nicaragua

My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Granada, but are wondering if there is a local paper with classifieds, hopefully in english.  Which leads me to the question of language.  We do not speak spanish, at least not yet, and we are wondering how difficult it will be to get around and how much english is spoken.

My other concern is health care.  Is there a healthcare program we can buy into?  Is there a good doc and possibly a hospital in Granada?

Any and all advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Melody

Did you ever find a hospital in Granada for emergency care that is any good?

Hello boomerexpat and welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that you posted on an old thread and you may not have much replies.

Why don't you start a new discussion on the Nicaragua forum for better visibility?

Are you looking for hospitals in Nicaragua?

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

The majority of expats do not speak much Spanish and few Nicas speak much English unless in the Managua area. Still, people get by when they want to communicate so I don't think it is much of a barrier. It is suggested that you learn some survival Spanish.

For classifieds, the major ones would be in Spanish such as encuentra24.com. For expats I have a small classified section in my weekly community newsletter generated from nicaragua-community.com. For general Nica information there is nicaragua-guide.com.

We believe we have excellent health care but we pay as we go. Our doctor speaks English and the Pellas hospital in Managua is about 35 minutes from our home in Granada. They do not offer health insurance but do offer a discount program. The Blue Cross hospital is preparing to open in Granada and it should be sufficient for most injuries and problems.

Regards

Darrell