Best cities to live in Nicaragua

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Nicaragua. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Nicaragua.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

My best 3 city's are Matagalpa, Esteli and Granada.

Matagalpa is a lovely city, set against beautiful mountains, is the gateway to the Taza de Oro  Coffee Plantations, and bread basket for much of Nicaragua.  Has a rich history, and a quaint town partially built on rolling hills, with stunning views. Great areas for discovery, are nearby San Ramon , beautiful area to buy a small farm 

Esteli is another rich agricultural area and world famous its cigar industry and beautiful women, The city feels so energized, and clean.

I would avoid Granada - small time theft, noise, few tourist attractions - lived here for over 2 years and looking forward to moving out.
Matagalpa and Esteli - yes.

Yes, Charles, I understand what your saying, small time theft is everywhere, but I feel safer in Granada , than any city in Costa Rica, It is absolutely crazy there. I have never had any theft in Granada , but I am careful, where to park and of course it is nice to have a four legged friend.
There is good business to do in and near Granada I love the Pueblos Blancos  I have many good real estate parcels outside of Granada worth buying.

Pacific ocean paradise without the heavy tourist attractions and higher costs.
Leon and Las Penitas.

I agree about the White Towns.  Mild temps year round and could get chilly at night. Wonderful people. Closer to big city than Matagalpa and up that way. Just depends on what floats your boat. I prefer a colonial town. Therefore the White Towns are my choice.  I can be in Granada with in 30 min. sitting at Mona Lisa's enjoying the best pizza anywhere.  Except maybe in Brooklyn, NY.

Yes , so true , the  Pueblos Blancos, are cooler, have ideal land for sustainable living. good people , and good work force. The more remote the better the prices. Right now I have a 5 acre plot with a tiny Nica house , need plumbing , but you could rough it until a suitable home was build. The first American just  bought and built a small American style 1500 s.f. house.
The 5 acre  has 23 beautiful avocado trees and another 20 to 25 fruit trees , Fire sale at 25,000.  facing Mombacho. Water and elect close by .

Nice.  You should post that on the www. Post under "homes, house, land for sale, Nicaragua.

Altogracia.... nothing beats the island life on Ometepe

Except the mosquitos and gnats!  The last time we went was in August.  It those criteria don't bother you, then yes this is a great island.  At least go and visit.

Want island life?  Try Big and little Corn Islands.  Just off the coast from
Bluefields.   No Gnats and not many Mosquitos.  If you like seafood, this is the place.  Watch the lobster boats leave harbor in the morning and just after lunch time return w/a load of lobsters.   Fishing is amazing too.  Oh, the language of Big Corn Island is English.  Big sign at the airport says "Please speak English!"
Round trip, in 2014, was $100 from Managua to big Corn and back.

I built my house on the beach at Altogracia.... bought the land 7 years ago. I have never seen a gnat? And I never need mosquito repellent ....perhaps because it is so windy. The only time there seem to be mosquito bites are around dusk in a dark restaurant, when they go for your ankles under the table. Maybe you just hit a bad time.....or they like you!

Believe me, if there were only one gnat left in the world, he'd find me!  I'm allergic to them. Maybe it was simply the right time for them that August afternoon.  Either way I say to all, see as much as Nica as you can. It is a beautiful country w/beautiful people.

Any idea where I can find a coastal paradise that is not inundated wit tourist but close enough to a moderate size city for supplies?

Thx

Chris

I like San Juan del Sur;  It's clean and there are good restaurants and bars with good music.  You have many options for living from condos to your own home up in the hills.  I have a condo there in Las Escadas and in a year hope that I will live there full time. 

Matagalpa  is another choice because of the higher altitude. 

But Granada is very good for the many expats from all over the world, it has everything most of us would need.  In fact the more native you get the less you need. 

Leon is a gem but to hot for me.

Try them all before you commit your self.

I just took the time to read the responses above and they are all very good.  I will look into some of them my self next time I am in Country.

Try looking in the north near (THE BOOM).

San Juan Del Sur would be idealistic.  Rent will cost More Here.

There is a Pacific Coastal town 30 min outside Of Diriamba.  A White Town, my personal favorite towns. 

Of course Leon and that area has som nice Beach towns close to cities.

Hello Blue;  I am not familiar with "White Town", please explain.

From the Internet
In the areas around Granada and Masaya there are the "Pueblos Blancos" or White Towns – Nindiri, San Juan de Oriente, San Marcos, Niquinohomo, Masatepe, Catarina, Diria and Diriomo – small pueblos known all over the country as representing all things Nicaraguan with strong pre-Columbian roots and traditions. They are so named due to the traditional whitewash used on the houses, carburo, which is made from water, lime and salt. Each town has its own fiestas and artisan traditions including hammocks, furniture, ceramic, stone carvings, leather work, ornamental plants and more. Some of these villages enjoy wonderful views over the blue waters of Lake Apoyo and others are famous for its delicious homemade “cajetas” or sweets. A visit to this region is definitely worth your while.
Cooler weather and better real estate prices

You neglected to mention Diriamba.   One of my favorites.  The wife and I stared there for three months in 2013.  We rented a one bedroom, private bath, separate kitchen & living room for $175 per mo.  It was a few hundred year old, renovated Colonial home.  Our front door faced opened on a corner of a busy one lane street.  All the parades passed right by our doorsteps

Leaving Diriamba and 30 minutes down the highway, traveling to the Pacific Ocean is a beach town, Boraco if I remember correctly.   We had lunch at a beach rest, lobster, $5.00 ea.  When you drive in and hit the ocean turn right for hotels and restaurants.

Further south, closer to San Juan del Sur is a beach called Limon. There is a nice beach hotel there. Prices are higher but more like American standards.

The Pueblos (towns) Blancos (white) towns are known for specific craftsmanships.  One for pottery (beautiful works can be found if you look beyond all the brightly colored pottery), one for plants and flowers, one for furniture (beautifully done using local mohageny.  Some of these towns are Also known for its cool climate.  We love the weather in the highest elevated white towns.

They were called the White Towns because all the homes were painted in a white wash. It was beautiful the first time I saw them back in 1978. Today colors are in vogue. American influence no doubt. 

In these towns you will mix w/the locals. I know of no expat community.  Maybe a subdivision or three on the outskirts of some of the towns will have American/Canadians but you still need to shop in town. 

We enjoyed taking the bus to Jinotepe. There is a restaurant that is owned by an American. He serve a decent hamburger/cheeseburger. Also on the lunch menu are hot dogs, grilled cheese and other favorites. He also has a great breakfast menu. The rest is located on a corner across the street from the town square. On the same side of the street as the cell phone company.  Facing the cell phone company walk to your left to the end of the block. Cross the street and rest on your right. A bank is on the other corner.

There is also a huge market in Jinotepe. You will find Mexican, Chineese as well as local fare.

what are the white towns?

Every town I've stayed in since 1978 was interesting and peaceful.  Depending on what you want or what you are looking for will dictate which town is for you.  Get a Nicaraguan Travel book.  You can find them at any book store.  In these books will outline each providence and cities with in.  My wife's favorite is Granada.  I do enjoy the people there.  The food is international.  Of course you can have a Nica Tipica breakfast or go to Kathy's restaurant by San Francisco Convent/Church and have an American Breakfast.
Other than Managua and Granada I know of no other town in Nica that you can get such a varity of international foods.  Spanish (they open after 9PM) Italian, Mexican, French, Fusion, Chinese, American Hamburger joints w/beer of course.  Try the Tonia or Victoria beer.  Excellent local beer. 
My personal favorite is Jinotepe.  About a 20 to 30 min drive from Granada.  It is higher in elevation, approx. 3000' above sea level.  Mild during the day and cooler at night.  They have a huge market.  They now have more restaurants than back in 2013 when I was there.  American Hamburger/Hot Dogs/Breakfast and it's owned by a Texas xpat.  Nice older guy.  Chinese is also available.  There is a great Mexican restaurant in Diriamba.  Speaking of Diriamba try MeBohia (may have botched the spelling but it sounds just like I spelled it)  Wonderful Nica food w/great service.  Very clean also. 

There are so many towns to fall in love with.  Matagalpa, and that area has some nice towns mentioned in this post.  If you like the mountains, this is where to go.  If you like beaches, Try San Juan del Sur.  It's busy with xpats and very commercial.  for Nica standards.  But there are many beach places to drop the hook.  Get a map and visit them all like we did.  You will really enjoy the people everywhere you go.  I cant say enough about that. 
Enjoy your search.