Health Care / Visa

I'm a 46 year old American thinking of teaching English in a South Asian country. My problem is I don't have a collage degree.  After some quick research it appears that Nepal is the only country where it is possible to get a job teaching without a collage degree.  What is the visa situation like in Nepal. And what is the health care like in Nepal? And is it a fairly stable country to retire in?

Dear Jetter,

I have an education consultancy, i;m looking for english teacher who can teach IELTS. If you are still interested please sent me an email so we can have further discussion.

Thanks
Bimal

I'm an American expat retiring here in Nepal. Health care here is excellent in Kathmandu. The British have a totally western run hospital. The rest of the hospitals are adequate at best, but with more and more exceptions. I spoke with one doctor that freely admitted they have a problem with infection. However, I do see a way around that issue. If something were to happen you could easily pay a day's wage for a health care person. They have many schools and the Nepali students study very hard but there are few jobs for them. So you could pay them about $10-12 a day to make sure all is well and be by your side til you are well.

I am dedicated to bringing as many from the west as want to come and have a great adventure. What is really unique about Nepal is the amount of potential it has. It's a place that can give one's life new meaning.

Anyone wanting help considering Nepal as a retirement spot please send me an email. It's the loveliest place you could ever imagine.

I would suggest coming here and then figure out how to stay. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have and do some research, if needed. But even most of the NGOs have the reputation of not doing the work the are supposed to do.

The one thing you could do to earn a living here is to learn how to write a grant proposal before you come. With that skill you will be fine.

I love Nepal and want everyone to come here, but I don't want to see anyone take a job from a Nepali. So this is one thing they really cannot do for themselves and I know of an agency in the US that will work to get money for NGOs here in Nepal.

I love to bring people to Nepal so if anyone has any questions please send me an email or post a reply here.

How difficult is it to get a visa to retire in Nepal?

Extremely difficult, if not mission impossible. One of my french friends who regularly comes to Nepal tried to get one, and finally gave up after almost two years of trying. In their official website, Immigration Authorities make it sound as if the procedure is very simple, just file online...they say...!.In reality, however, things are not what they are portrayed to be. Even if you meet all those immigration pre-requisites that they list about minimum US dollar income, being a highly respectable well known person with top references and all that etc., the fact is that Immigration cannot issue a residential visa without official Home Ministry's stamp of approval. What they don't advertise either, is:
- the fact that this visa is never issued for, say, a straight 10 ten period or anything long term, but rather RENEWABLE each and every year, without exception.
- this means that, successively, and therefore at the end of each 12 months period, one has to go back to Immigration Office, ask for a renewal for another year, which requires another filing and having to go through all those administrative steps all over again, and paying a yearly fee which if my memory serves me right is in the order of $1200 each year (more expensive than a five year business visa)
- you'll probably need a lawyer to help you, so he can verify that this fee is still at that level. As lawyers in Nepal are never free, factor in those charges too.
- finally, be prepared to pay grease money to officials at Immigration too, if you don't want to spend days on end in line in those offices. Not always that easy to get to see the Director General in charge.
P.S. Depending on what lawyer you chose, I've known for lawyers to be in cahoots with Immigration officials. Be on your guard. Good luck to you.

Isn't it interesting that even a country with such a low economic rating as Nepal, they are still  reluctant to take in immigrants.  That means you need to remember we are here at the pleasure of the Nepali government.

Just a couple comments on Jl's comments. All visas, even marriage visa (non-tourist) must be renewed each year. The rules are clear. Attorneys and doctors only make around $1,000 a month, so the legal fees are usually minimal by western standards. Yes, you should have a Nepali attorney who is well connected to help you through the system. You should not even try to do something like this alone in Nepal.

Tourists are quick to criticize the way things are done here, but the Nepali are proud of their country and the unique way things are done here. It is unique in every way and just about anything is possible here.

Agreed, and the definition of well connected in Nepal is downright corrupt, money being the numbers game. As everyone knows, the number one lawyer in Nepal is the worst of the bunch, a real scoundrel, with a history of having had his house raided by the police. To nepalis, however, ironically he is a national hero. Can't win, even if Dr. Govinda, the Tribhuvan U. Teaching Hospital Professor, is doing his best to denounce the legal system and other inequalities with now more than a dozen hunger strikes to his credit. Undeterred, Dr. Govinda is currently, zeroing in on the head of the Supreme Court herself and trying to have her dis-credited!
You say nepalis can be proud of their country. Like they say in your country, I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.