Retirement Visa

Good morning,
I am from the United States and I have a US passport.
I am interested in retiring in Nepal and would very much appreciate any current information on the Retirement Visa.
Thank you

Hi tconnell333,

Welcome to Expat.Com  :)

Is there a retirement visa for Nepal ?

The only information i found is here : http://www.nepalimmigration.gov.np/page … ntial-visa

I think there might be other types of visas for foreigners who wish to live in Nepal, but not really a "Retirement visa". Not sure though, hopefully, someone can guide you.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Thank you very much Bhavana !

If you are still in the US either call or go to the Nepali embassy near you. They are working on a special visa for Americans, like the Indians have, so check with them. If and when they actually offer it you will only be able to get it in the US.
So contact the Nepali embassy in the US for the best answers to your questions. I hear they are working on it.

Thank you Madagascar Now !
Unfortunately I am in India.
Thanks

I'd suggest coming in August so you can stay 5 months in that year and you would not have to leave until the end of May. Or you could leave in march and come back in Nov. and then stay until March of each year.
If you have something in India you could do a nice back-and-forth from there. But unfortunately, it's difficult to stay longer than 5 months until they make some changes.

Thank you.  Good advice
Best regards
Tom

There are a number of tourist destinations such as Thailand, for example, which do offer "Residential Visas", but Nepal does not. Bhavna is right.
It's regrettable really because I can see that a retiree candidate to Nepal might well wish to rent an apartment or house here for year around use (like 12 months - often the minimum period on offer - or longer)
But then how on earth can a foreigner commit to and sign, say, a 12 months lease/rental agreement in the light of the current maximum 150 days/per year time constraint this other contributor is quite rightly referring to above?
Financially and logistically totally impractical is the answer!!
5 months ain't 12!!
Rent a different place year in and year out, or leave the place vacant for 7 months p.a., or stay in a hotel .. or stay home, dear retirees!! No place like home!!

Correction, line 2 above should read "Retirement Visas" of course.That's what we are talking about. My mistake.
(Residential visas is something altogether different, and extremely difficult to obtain. One of my friends tried and gave up after more than 2 years of waiting)

Has there been any updates since the last post in August 2019?  I would very much like to retire in Nepal.  I'm American, single, retired from international development work.  I spent the past 9.5 years in Bangladesh and love the region.  Any update would be helpful.  thank you.

I don't know anyone who's gotten a retirement visa. There have been a lot of new requirements for tourism and visas. Your best bet would be to contact the Nepali Embassy in the US. There are some visas that can be had from the US side. They started giving a 5 or 10 year renewable thing for Americans but then the pandemic came. That was only available for Americans prior to them leaving, I think.
Please let me know how it goes. I try to help tourists and every tip or trick helps. I was on my way to Africa when I found my way here. I love living in Nepal.

Thank you, I'm currently hanging out in Mexico but I'll see if I can contact the Napali embassy in the US. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Warm Greetings from Nepal !!!

If you want to spent your valuable retirement time in Nepal it's really enjoyable moment. Hear is guideline for visa processing. NEPAL is now opening for foreign tourists with few mandatory health protocols. You can arrive in nepal and change your visa as per your requirements.

https://us.nepalembassy.gov.np/visa/

for your reference

Thank you

Here's the problem. The parliament has been dissolved by the prime minister, so there isn't anyone to make new laws. They were talking about some interesting things, so probably soon they will put something together. Just stay tuned. Nepal is worth the wait.

You can come with a covid neg. test and quarantine for 5 days upon arrival. Then you can stay as usual for 5 months or take another visa.

My idea is if anyone want to stay in Nepal, there won't be any  problem. You have to fulfill some formalities to stay in Nepal. I have seen many foreign nationals staying permanently in Nepal. My advice is please come to Nepal in a tourist visa. After you arrive you will get many helping hands ready to support you. You can contact a immigration lawyer in Nepal and hopefully they will be able to advice you the procedure or say some formalities which will help you .

Best Regards
Tek Jung Dhamala