Retire to Pokhara Nepal

I am retiring soon and wish to move to Pokhara Nepal. Can anyone explain if this is possible? What are the Visa requirements? How does the new constitution effect this decision? Will I be able to work in Nepal? What is the cost of renting an apartment or house?

You may not work on a tourist visa, no matter what the Nepali tell you. They will try to get you to do work and become a 'partner' but don't do it. All they have to say is, "This person doesn't have a business visa," and the police will put you in a special room until you can manage a quick departure back to your country (not India).

You can be here for 5 months on a calendar year, so Nov. to Mar. would work fine, but cold in Pokhara at that time.

A business visa takes a substantial investment. If you are 60+ and have $20,000 annual income you can get a retirement visa, but you cannot work. You could also get a study visa.

I have a guest house where I've been offering the rooms for long term stays that includes transportation and meals prepared to order or use of kitchen. Prices start at $100 a week.

If you'd like to contact me I'm happy to help you. My guest house is in the Ktm Valley, but higher in elevation and nice, clean air. The problem with Pokhara, although not as bad as in the past, is that you will spend a lot of money whenever you need to go to Ktm for anything, or you can spend a day of hell on a bus. Then where will you put all the stuff you bought?

I heard India is offering 10 year re-enter for a small amount to people from the US.

Hi,
         Your choice to retire in pokhara is wise decision.you can find here a lot of foreigners living here.pokhara is quiet,neat,clean full of natural beauty also it has many shopping malls,restaurants,hospitals and well connected transport i suggest you to visit pokhara and you will know the difference between pokhara and kathmandu.
        pokhara is well connected to rest of nepal.it has airport and you can reach to kathmandu in 20 minutes by flight and the work is going and by 2017 international airport will be here.daily tourist air condition bus is available to kathmandu and it is 5 hours journey by bus
           Almost all oficial work can be done in pokhara.
          if you are thinking to stay for long term you can find one bedroom apartment from 100$-150$/month and you can rent also whole house from 500$
          i do not know exactly of visas but you can find on internet but business visa you can get easily or may be retirement visa i can help you to find you if you need by asking some of my foreign friends who are living in pokhara since long time
                  if you need any help specially for apartment or any information.you can conatct me
                                                                                                                                                                     with regards
                                                                                                                                                                          jit

Retire Visa is given if you can prove that you are wealthy enough. You need to show a Bank-Account in Nepal  that has an annual budget of at least 25000 US Dollar. There are ways to get this done. Without the help of a smart Nepalese Lawyer who really knows how to fix this, you do not make a chance. Keep it low profile that you are a Christian (as shown in your profile already...not a real helpful idea)
There is an aversion against Christians within the Nepalese Authorities. The new Constitution is forbidding conversion from one religion to another.

Thank you for your advice. Do you know what I might expect to pay for westernized home in Pokhara? Rent

If you are smart and do not stay in the center then a flat with living room, kitchen bathroom, toilet and sleeping room costs monthly about 130 to 200 dollar. I paid three-monthly 39,000 Rupees in Pokhara Amar Singh Chowk. It had a nice garden too. You can get it slightly cheaper if you rent an empty flat and buy your own furniture.

rent can be between $100 to $200 a month but there are many other hidden costs to bear in mind. 

western food products are expensive due to transportation costs and Pokhara being an "upmarket" location.

personally i don't use public transportation and don't like to walk or use a bicycle; so i rent a scooter for another $100 to $150 a month - fuel is $1 a liter and sometimes gas stations run out of fuel -

entertainment ? there are a few nice pubs and restaurants along the lakeside area but expect to pay $15 to $30 per person.  otherwise there really isn't much else going on at night. 

if you're paying your own electricity then expect to pay a hefty bill during the winter season - heating -

internet ? local wifi supplied by guesthouses, landlords etc tends to be slow and intermittent; personally i bought my own MiFi and it cost about $200 with contract etc.

beer is pretty expensive at restaurants and even from the supermarket - prices vary from place to place - shop owners will hike prices by 10 to 80 cents when seeing a foreigner but if you know the market price just tell them that you usually buy it for such and such; take it or leave it.  bottled water can be expensive too, $1 to $1.20 per liter - buy the big 12 liter jugs.

clothing is not so expensive and its mostly hiking gear sold around town.

unless you're a writer, online business man, artist etc that can keep busy indoors and needs their privacy then Pokhara could be a nice place to stay.  or if you're into the outdoor sports such as hiking.

meeting other expats is not so easy.  5 months there and i only met 3 couples; the rest are young tourists passing by for a day or two on the way to some mountain peak.

good luck.

Hi,
      if you are looking for home in pokhara.i can show you many.i look forward to reply from you
                                                                                                                                                     with regards
                                                                                                                                                              jit

Just try to live in Pokhara for 3 month. If you'll like it, create another topic here, we will discuss the details. :)