Anything good about Kuwait?

Hi!
Sorry for the provocative title but I'm just hoping to get more responses that way :P...
I read a lot of negative posts on this forum and also a lot of posts trying to organise social stuff - which is obviously good but also worries me slightly that people have to resort to this forum to make friends, etc...

In brief, my question is... Any positive experiences about moving to/living in Kuwait???
My partner and I are considering it at the moment...

Thanks!

Dear FrenchFrog,,

I am a kuwaiti Citizen I Will be happy to answer your question.

Anything good about Kuwait?

There are many good things and the most important things are :

1-No taxes AT ALL

2-Safety.

3-Religious freedom.

Unlike what you read of bad experiences are often the result of individual behavior could be happend in any country.
As I understand from negative posts on this forum ,who wrote that were not able to adapt. AS I THINK.

Tack care and hope to see you in kuwait.

FrenchFrog

1st .. you'll be most welcomed in kuwait .. you'll have a new experince .. and that is good

every experience has the good and the bad sides .. so don't be afraid cause as kuwaiti girl said the most advantages is .. there is no taxes and it's very safty country .

and as you mention .. that you saw many posts in here .. so i think that is good .. cause it gives you more knowledge about living here .. but not all of it is right .. every person see it from his own side

so .. welcome FrenchFrog .. hope you have fun .. and safty life :)

we knocked someone to start :s

When you get the point of view of somebody who has lived here their entire lives (Which is most of the new members who have been active the last week or so)....

..... who trying to help

!!!!

so we should be  registrated at the begening of july 2010  to be more experience !

you makes me feel that some body here is expatriate.. when he or she is a citizen

i am half kuwaiti half egyption ... i lived till 7 in egypt and i lived there 2 years for studying alone .. so i know how do ppl here feel expatriates

and Nicole B returned to kuwait :) if she could not live in it .. why id she get back???

that leads us to your golden question ...

What is the incentive for somebody living in

1-  making money ... i have a friend who is married to a american and he lived with her .. then he got another job in ksa which offered higher income to him .. & his family indeed .. so he moved to ksa .. and he couldn't take his wife cause she have work too ...

so the conclusion is .. ppl leave their country to build them selves .. and to insure their future ... you are kuwaiti Citizen .. you don't need any thing as expatriate do ..

2- i think expatriate can answer your question better than we do .. right? cause you do not do any thing by estimate .. specially when it's about your future

let me ask you ... you have the usa citizenship.. why don't you live in there? it's also your other side's counrty .. and you are adult now to live alone and visite your family whenever you  want ;)

be reasonable .. kuwait is better than you show up to ppl ..or there was no body come or live in it.. every where contains the good and the evil .. if you follow the rules you can live just like any kuwaiti .. or else we see only expatriate in jail ..  the 3\4 of it are  kuwaitis who broke the law  too .. am i right !!! correct me if i missed smth.

Tax free? Many countries are tax free. It's still more expensive here.
I bought my car from Seattle, paid TAXES, paid shipping costs, and I still paid less than I would have if I bought it here.
Safety? Not really.

UAE (dubai) is much expensive than kuwait .. and the number of expats increase .. bahrain the the same as kuwait living cost

but we still TAXES free .. for the ppl living inside :) beside kuwait is not industrialized country .. so it have to be expensive but reasonably if we would compare the income for the expats here.. we agreed that it's most of the time be more than kuwaiti's .. or why do they come ?? beside you ppl have embassy which can save your rights and tells you about it once you be in kuwait ... and you can complain any time

Religious freedom? I doubt it's freedom for everybody, but nevertheless, it's also offered in many countries

building churches in KSA is not allowed :) .. in kuwait there is more than 3 churches in one area .. and there is just one christian kuwaiti family ...

FrenchFrog .. if you could find any good job worth to come .. why to hesitate !!

you can check  nicole's B &  kuwait411's bloges

http://crazyinkuwait.blogspot.com/

nicoleb.org

i think they are real expatriates.. and they might be more helpful for you :)

I've been in Kuwait for 11 years with my family. You do have some sacrifices to make, but you'll have that wherever you move.

The sad thing with blogs and forums is that more people with grievences and problems post their comments rathare than people with happy experiences.

Last thought, as an expat, any place in the world is what YOU make of IT, not the other way around!

Stay cool dude!

Michael
Kuwait

The thing is, you and kuwaiti girl(ME ME ME :lol::D:o:/) always act like Kuwait is some sort of heaven for expats.[/b]

Of course it is -at least for me- and they can make it some sort of heaven or hell . It is depend if they wana have new different,difficult Experience her in Kuwait, because it certainly does not similarity of their lives in their countries.

You mention everything in a heavenly vibe but never mention the negatives that they may face here.

Because some one is taking the leadership of it and as the title was Anything good about Kuwait I thought I can help but you have make it clear that i have not. :mad::(:/

Why trick somebody into thinking something? Are you paying their ticket, rent, expenses.

Oh god I hope am not tricking somebody into it.

Py the way ,I do agree with you in some points such as:

-To be in Kuwait you need to have an incentive. You don't just pack your bags and say you're moving to Kuwait. I'm here because that's where my family is.

- Kuwait is not a tourist country.

-I bought my car from Seattle, paid TAXES, paid shipping costs, and I still paid less than I would have if I bought it here.(me 2 but I bought it from Dubai)

oh and one more thing you said (I have Kuwaiti, US and Germany citizenship) Beware of politicians they are looking for a heavy meal...:cool::P

SO thank you dear and take care,,,

I have been here only for four days, but I will spend rest of my life here.  Let's see what kind of nice things I have experienced here in this short time... Hmmm, the food is really yummy! I loved it! The sea is really hot, like a bath tub! I loved it! My new family is so friendly! I loved it!

But from the very first day I realized that I need some time to get used to the people of Kuwait. They are not open-minded especially about summer clothes :) I mean, in public places like shopping malls, sea shores, supermarkets etc. I can't wear just what I want, because people are extremely conservative here and they are going crazy even when they see a girl wearing sleeves shirt!!! What's that!!! No shorts, no short dresses, no  short skirts!!! But if I am going to a private place, like a private house party, or some restaurants or hotels than I can pretend like I am not in Kuwait! Even many people pretend that they are not in Kuwait! Yeah, it will take some time to learn what to wear and most importantly when to wear it! So speaking of freedom, I don't think women have freedom here even for something simple  like choosing what they want to wear.

holdcardsdown wrote:

Expats here try to make the best of it though. You see many expats here who seem contempt (don't bash Kuwait), but then you can point to a post Nicole B made over a year ago and I quote:  "I am glad we did leave."

But then also point out that I rephrased that 2 years later and pointed out quite a few nice things to do / see in Kuwait ;)

Last thought, as an expat, any place in the world is what YOU make of IT, not the other way around!

I like that quote :)

holdcardsdown wrote:

What do I look like? Grilled sweet corn and chicken legs with lime adobo and queso fresco? Nobody is gonna eat me alive :P

If you do look like that then you are so delicious mmmmm yummy,yummy.

Asaad allah yomek = My allah pleased your day.

i'm not going to mention everything cause you repeating your self ..

so we should be  registrated at the begening of july 2010  to be more experience !
No, I wasn't saying I was more experienced because I registered before you did. I was merely pointing you and kuwaiti girl out. That's it, but I didn't want to directly point you out, but there you go.

me too brother ;)

you makes me feel that some body here is expatriate.. when he or she is a citizen
That's my point. This is called expat-blog. You should give realistic information for expats. There are many other forums for citizens. I don't make you feel anything, you do that to yourself

that was about you not me :) you missed the point ..

building churches in KSA is not allowed.. in kuwait there is more than 3 churches in one area .. and there is just one christian kuwaiti family ...
You're saying Kuwait has religious freedom because KSA bans building churches?
That's like saying I am very strong, because I can beat a 10-year-old.

!!! as you said before .. it's just like i'm pointing on the moon and you looking to my finger .. you trying to explain some different things .. kuwait has religious freedom .. and i gave an example of the nearest country

FrenchFrog .. if you could find any good job worth to come .. why to hesitate !!
The thing is, you and kuwaiti girl always act like Kuwait is some sort of heaven for expats. You mention everything in a heavenly vibe but never mention the negatives that they may face here. Why trick somebody into thinking something? Are you paying their ticket, rent, expenses?

we do not force any one to listen to us... i think he is adult enough to read and compare and choose ..

Who are you to tell me where to live? As I've mentioned I have business estate here so I have the incentive to be here. Notice that I never said Kuwait is useless, I said it is a place to be if you have an incentive. I do. I wasn't being sarcastic, I was speaking the truth.
Yes, I have Kuwaiti, US and Germany citizenship.

:) thanks god you wrote this

I have Kuwaiti, US and Germany citizenship)

is that legal ?!

finally .. i answered your question .. and any conscious can that the answer is complete

making money + safety

maybe he have many choices .. and he choosed kuwait .. sh7arek !!  :)

miq8

The sad thing with blogs and forums is that more people with grievences and problems post their comments rathare than people with happy experiences.

it should be both .. the good and the bad experience .. to give the full knowledge ... no to cheat ppl and

kuwaiti girl

Because some one is taking the leadership of it and as the title was Anything good about Kuwait I thought I can help but you have make it clear that i have not

that is the point he missed :)

deni

I have been here only for four days, but I will spend rest of my life here.  Let's see what kind of nice things I have experienced here in this short time... Hmmm, the food is really yummy! I loved it! The sea is really hot, like a bath tub! I loved it! My new family is so friendly! I loved it!

But from the very first day I realized that I need some time to get used to the people of Kuwait. They are not open-minded especially about summer clothes  I mean, in public places like shopping malls, sea shores, supermarkets etc. I can't wear just what I want, because people are extremely conservative here and they are going crazy even when they see a girl wearing sleeves shirt!!! What's that!!! No shorts, no short dresses, no  short skirts!!! But if I am going to a private place, like a private house party, or some restaurants or hotels than I can pretend like I am not in Kuwait! Even many people pretend that they are not in Kuwait! Yeah, it will take some time to learn what to wear and most importantly when to wear it! So speaking of freedom, I don't think women have freedom here even for something simple  like choosing what they want to wear.

i'm glade that you like it :)

yes you are right .. it's a problem sometimes wearing summer clothes .. but not for all ppl .. you can see kuwaiti girls wearing short dresses .. oh as you said .. many women here can't wear whatever they want .. TRADITIONS :\

so how is going with you ... and how do you feel for the first days ?

hope you getting joyfull time ;)

choco-muchacha wrote:

yes you are right .. it's a problem sometimes wearing swinning clothes .. but not for all ppl .. you can see kuwaiti girls wearing short dresses .. oh as you said .. many women here can't wear whatever they want .. TRADITIONS :\

Ya dear I am not wearing hejab and I do wear short dresses ,skirt and always try to follow fashion.

@choco-muchacha: What do you mean by "swinning clothes"? 

I feel a bit upside down, but it is ok for now... I just need to go shopping to adapt those narrow-minded people. That's all! :))

Oh thank God, I don't have problem with this! I would freak out much more if that was a problem, too!

I think she ment decent swimming clothes.

look dear,,,

If I wana go swimming i go for private beaches so i can wear what ever i want (bikini- To be more clearly) not in public beaches.

holdcardsdown wrote:

is that legal ?!

??

It is not allowed her in Kuwait to have more than one citizenships.

This low is Inactive cose it is so difficult and very sensitive.

thanks my teacher holdcardsdown

philosophy

??

it's about what is good aout kuwait .. not the bad :)

keep you simple examples for the correct post

don't go away my teacher :)

and i ment summer clothes .. badleya ma yeseer ya3ni ??

and yes deni + kuwaiti girl ..

you can wear your Swimwear in private beaches like " hotels pool" or something like that :)

holdcardsdown wrote:

kuwaiti girl,
Does it apply to people with "Al-Khalidi" as a last name?

Did you mean al-khaldi even the royal family no one apply to to have more than one citizenship.:cool:

badeya ma yeseer ya3ni ??

What does this mean?

By the way my name is Deniz, not Deni, just for your information :)

I'm British, was born and grew up in Kuwait, left to go to school and uni and have recently returned.  I think some people here are making out that Kuwait is the most incredible place in the world.  Well it's not.  But then it's not as awful as some people are saying.  Having spent the last few months moaning about Kuwait and being desperate to get back to the UK, I've realised that UK is equally as bad.  It's so expensive and none of my friends can afford to do anything, so I'm just as bored here as I was in Kuwait.  The benefits of living in Kuwait are that it is safe (you can leave your handbag on the back of a chair and know that noone would take it....if you did this in England it would get nicked), there are no taxes which means that you can save more money that you would do in other countries, it's warm and it is a very relaxed lifestyle.  For me to have the same lifestyle in the UK that I have in Kuwait, I would have to be earning about 3 times as much.  I don't think Kuwait is the type of place you can spend the rest of your life, you'd get way to claustrophobic.  But if you make an effort to meet new people, have a life outside work, travel every now and again, and learn to love homebrew (!) then there is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your time here.  I would say though, don't do more than 2 or 3 years. 
But it's like anywhere in the world, it's what you make of it.  If you have a bad attitude, you are never gonna be happy anywhere.

Like holdcardsdown has pointed out before.
I have really disliked this place & liked it.

What you have to do here, is try to keep your spirit up.
Get out, do something.
Alone or with others.

The heat will make you lazy, you will get lazier and stay inside more, which will over time make you miserable and it will make you hate this place.
;)

stephm64 wrote:

you can leave your handbag on the back of a chair and know that noone would take it....

Be careful with that statement. There are places in Kuwait I wouldn't suggest leaving anything out of your eyesight (Friday market,..)

stephm64 wrote:

there are no taxes

The government is working on a law to change that first for companies and later for individuals with a certain income, no?

stephm64 wrote:

I don't think Kuwait is the type of place you can spend the rest of your life, you'd get way to claustrophobic.

Good thing you can hop on cheap flights to various places and get out for a while :)

Thanks to you all for your replies, much appreciated, although the thread did not go quite the way I expected :D... I get the tax free thing, so far money is the only reason I can find to move to Kuwait but I'd like to find other reasons. As regards religious freedom, I'd imagine you couldn't much more of that than where I have lived before so Kuwait is bound to feel a bit more restrictive on that front, I expect that.
However I've lived in many different countries and I have always found something to like, however I have this niggling feeling that it might be a bit harder with Kuwait, also probably because I wouldn't be working there myself, only my partner would. I want to make sure there are things to do besides shopping and sitting around waiting for the heat of the day to recede...
I was expecting people to say stuff like
- great snorkling
- amazing places to visit? (preferably not built in the last 10 years out of concrete)
- weekends away in neighbouring countries (is that even possible, any visa restrictions?)
- vibrant expat community
- whatever else...

great snorkling

There's an island called Kumar island (correct me guys) that looks like it could be great for snorkeling.
Look at some of the other threads, there were some reef photos

amazing places to visit? (preferably not built in the last 10 years out of concrete)

That one's harder.
:(
nicoleb.org/Countries/Kuwait/Failaka.html: Greek ruins on Failaka?
Jahra Fort(here's a nicoleb.org/Countries/Kuwait/Al_Jahra.html: link to the page, but the photos are 'gone' - I need to rework all those pages, sorry :( )

weekends away in neighbouring countries (is that even possible, any visa restrictions?)

Yes you can
I've seen flights for like KD 20 to nicoleb.org/b2/index.php/bahrain;: Bahrain and to nicoleb.org/b2/index.php/sharm+el+sheikh;: Sharm el Sheikh, for example.
Visa is no problem. We do these trips usually when it's time for my Visa renewal :)

And nicoleb.org/Countries/Kuwait/Kuwait.html: here is a bit more what I've collected the last time around in Kuwait

vibrant expat community

There are quite a few expat communities, what nationality are you?

Thanks for the reply!
I'm French :) but will happily mix with any expat community or friendly locals ;)

Some are particular of their members, but then there are others you can mingle with.
I will keep my eyes and ears open :)

Thanks!Anyway, I'll let you know if we make the big jump! :)
My hubby wentt to Kuwait for a very short visit recently, to see the recruiting company and he didn't come back hating the place, so! :D
Talk to you soon!

Denizkizi wrote:
badeya ma yeseer ya3ni ??
badleya ma yeseer ya3ni? Means: So I can't make a typo?

right :)

By the way my name is Deniz, not Deni, just for your information

okey Deniz :) thanks for correcting 

kuwaiti girl

Did you mean al-khaldi even the royal family no one apply to to have more than one citizenship.
It's spelled al-khalidi in my civil id and passport though.

al-khalid without "i" is the royal family .. alkhaldi is another 

holdcardsdown .. i don't know how to say that in english .. but you can translate if you want ..

ezdewajeyat eljenseya temshee 3ala eljenseya elksa wel irania i think .. but el us wellbre6anya or eloropeya no .. ma to3tabar ezdewajeya here .. si i was kidding with you .. it's legal indeed

niki .. it's kubbar island ;) and you should enjoy scuba diving there

stephm64 wrote:
you can leave your handbag on the back of a chair and know that noone would take it....
Be careful with that statement. There are places in Kuwait I wouldn't suggest leaving anything out of your eyesight (Friday market,..)

and you can believe that this happened to my mother in some resturant .. so becareful

stephm64 wrote:
there are no taxes
The government is working on a law to change that first for companies and later for individuals with a certain income, no?

my brother works in ministry of finance and he told me about that and they are preparing to applied this procedure .. that was 2003 lool .. i don't know when they are going to do it

Good thing you can hop on cheap flights to various places and get out for a while

right

weekends away in neighbouring countries (is that even possible, any visa restrictions?)
Yes you can
I've seen flights for like KD 20 to Bahrain and to Sharm el Sheikh, for example.
Vis is no problem. We do these trips usually when it's time for my Visa renewal

And here is a bit more what I've collected the last time around in Kuwait

that's right .. but bahrain is alittle looks like kuwait .. sharm alshaikh is much wonderful

FrenchFrog .. you are most welcome dear ;)

stephm64 wrote:

I'm British, was born and grew up in Kuwait, left to go to school and uni and have recently returned.  I think some people here are making out that Kuwait is the most incredible place in the world.  Well it's not.  But then it's not as awful as some people are saying.  Having spent the last few months moaning about Kuwait and being desperate to get back to the UK, I've realised that UK is equally as bad.  It's so expensive and none of my friends can afford to do anything, so I'm just as bored here as I was in Kuwait.  The benefits of living in Kuwait are that it is safe (you can leave your handbag on the back of a chair and know that noone would take it....if you did this in England it would get nicked), there are no taxes which means that you can save more money that you would do in other countries, it's warm and it is a very relaxed lifestyle.  For me to have the same lifestyle in the UK that I have in Kuwait, I would have to be earning about 3 times as much.  I don't think Kuwait is the type of place you can spend the rest of your life, you'd get way to claustrophobic.  But if you make an effort to meet new people, have a life outside work, travel every now and again, and learn to love homebrew (!) then there is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your time here.  I would say though, don't do more than 2 or 3 years. 
But it's like anywhere in the world, it's what you make of it.  If you have a bad attitude, you are never gonna be happy anywhere.

this is the most reasonable opinion for u mr FrenchFrog

kuwaiti girl wrote:
choco-muchacha wrote:

yes you are right .. it's a problem sometimes wearing swinning clothes .. but not for all ppl .. you can see kuwaiti girls wearing short dresses .. oh as you said .. many women here can't wear whatever they want .. TRADITIONS :\

Ya dear I am not wearing hejab and I do wear short dresses ,skirt and always try to follow fashion.

yes kuwaiti girl.. that's the point ..Deniz not all women in kuwait wear hejab or the face cover " neqab" or abaya .. so it depends on satisfaction and for some others depend on traditions

my brother works in ministry of finance and he told me about that and they are preparing to applied this procedure .. that was 2003 lool .. i don't know when they are going to do it

It was in the papers recently - that's the only reason  I know about it :D

that's right .. but bahrain is alittle looks like kuwait .. sharm alshaikh is much wonderful

That very much depends on your point of view ;)

If you only see the green and the corals of Sharm, yes, beautiful.
If you look a bit deeper,.... well

The first impression to me of Bahrain was 'clean!' and the people were very friendly.
I liked it immediately there :)
Living there would probably change my perspective a bit (like it would be for most when they actually have to LIVE in Sharm ;) )

In regards to clothing, I make it depending on where I go to.
Like Friday market or Souq I would wear pants that cover my knees and Shirts that cover my shoulders.
Early mornings walking the dogs along the beach I wear shorts and a tank top.

Honestly, I think in regards to clothing and respect and whatnot there are two types of people around.
The ones that don't care what you wear and still show you some decent respect and the ones that don't care what you wear and don't show you any respect at all.
Just a thoght I had the other day ;)

The first impression to me of Bahrain was 'clean!' and the people were very friendly.

yes i've noticed that ... i was alone and i found many friendly ppl there

beside the most thing i loved that every where i going to i see bahrainis work every where .. without feeling shameful as some ppl do here ...where ever they go :) resturants .. shops .. every where .. so they don't feel arrogance pride ... they are so humple

Honestly, I think in regards to clothing and respect and whatnot there are two types of people around.
The ones that don't care what you wear and still show you some decent respect and the ones that don't care what you wear and don't show you any respect at all.
Just a thoght I had the other day

exactly

i loved that every where i going to i see bahrainis work every where .. without feeling shameful as some ppl do here

Yes, the first person we met was a taxi driver & I was very surprised when he told us he's Bahraini :)
nicoleb.org/b2/index.php/jaffers-taxi: More about that ride ;)

thanks for the link ... me like the taxi man and the planet :)

NicoleB wrote:

i loved that every where i going to i see bahrainis work every where .. without feeling shameful as some ppl do here

Yes, the first person we met was a taxi driver & I was very surprised when he told us he's Bahraini :)
: More about that ride ;)

you know in kuwait Airport you will see kuwaiti Men driving a taxi.
When I go back to Kuwait I usually go with them.http://www.kuwait-airport.com.kw/Public/images/Taxi.JPG

Yes, forgot about them.
We had a few coming back from our trips.
Arriving this time we had to use a transportation service with big cars (thanks doggies) ;)

NicoleB wrote:

Yes, forgot about them.
We had a few coming back from our trips.
Arriving this time we had to use a transportation service with big cars (thanks doggies) ;)

waaaaaaaaaaaw how many dogs do you have

we have one Barq=Lightning his name he is now too old :(

airport taxis .. i saw that arleady .. and there are kuwaiti men who work in regular taxis .. and not just old men .. there is goung guys

but i ment woking in coffe shope or in any others .. there is " loyac" it's an institution or Organism which training youths to work every where at summer time .. and it started long time before ..

so they are starting with youths to make them feeling like they can do and want to do every thing for their country

in bahrain you'll see ppl doing that cause it's expensive in there and some of those ppl have a weak income so they cover it by working some times as a part times

kuwaiti girl wrote:

we have one Barq=Lightning his name he is now too old :(

One Labrador (male) and a Wiredhair Dachshund (female)
:)

in bahrain you'll see ppl doing that cause it's expensive in there

Or maybe because they don't get subsidized so much there by their government? (Just a question and only wondering)

Or maybe because they don't get subsidized so much there by their government

i don't know .. but a friend of mine who is bahrini he told me that there is somany ppl who can't have jobs there !!!

i still wondering why