Owning a moped

All,

Can a foreigner buy a moped / scooter in Vietnam legally? Are there extra paperwork?  Beside my US passport, is there any other paperwork I need?

Thanks all.

Tin Tin

Yes, you can.

BUT if your Visa/Permit has under, I believe, one year (the rules have been revised recently) you can't have it in your own name.

The salesman will usually be able to find someone to 'adopt' your bike. Make sure you get receipts for money paid on your name.

And keep the Registration Card safe - in your possession.

I drive a motorcycle without any licenses or permit.  You will need to find a trusty local to buy it for you, and sign their name on the bill of purchase and etc.

If you're ever stopped by traffic cops, speak English...say you forgot your license at home. Give him 200-500k and be on your way.

LaxFogo wrote:

I drive a motorcycle without any licenses or permit.

LaxFogo, what are you talking about, you mean no registration card for your motorbike? Or what do you mean by no permit, are you a tourist and you are driving without a license and think it's OK? If so, you are an example which is not to be followed and your advise is rubbish.

snake77 wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:

LaxFogo, what are you talking about, you mean no registration card for your motorbike? Or what do you mean by no permit, are you a tourist and you are driving without a license and think it's OK? If so, you are an example which is not to be followed and your advise is rubbish.

Lol. Good luck getting an A2 license as a foreigner, it's hard even for locals.

It's completely fine to drive a motorcycle without an A2 license. I didn't say you don't need registration, learn to read..I said you need to find a local to buy and register it in his/her name.

My definition of a Moped is a glorified bicycle with an engine under 50cc, so you don't need a Licence, although the rider should have some sort of traffic education, unfortunately this doesn't happen here, same with those dangerous kids on the Electric bikes ( " silent death', ),  in most countries, even bicycle riders have to obey the road rules, ( and also wear APPROVED helmets ).

There are no true mopeds in Vietnam. Moped was originally a motorized bike that you could pedal like a bike or go around like motorbike. Closest thing would be the electric bikes.
I'm getting a new Honda SH150 this week or next, can't wait!

LaxFogo wrote:
snake77 wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:

It's completely fine to drive a motorcycle without an A2 license. I didn't say you don't need registration, learn to read..I said you need to find a local to buy and register it in his/her name.

LaxFogo, where did I say that you said one does not need registration? All I said/asked is what you're talking about (mixing up licenses/permit with registration card)? However, you just confirmed once again that it is no problem to drive without a drivers license, right? So I assume you have a 50CC scooter/moped, then you are right (like bluenz said), you don't need any license but if you're saying riding anything over 50CC without a drivers license is fine, well then your advise is what I said, rubbish...

Btw, go read some of the other threads, lots of foreigner who have an A2 on this forum... (learn to read...).

VungTauDon wrote:

There are no true mopeds in Vietnam. Moped was originally a motorized bike that you could pedal like a bike or go around like motorbike. Closest thing would be the electric bikes.
I'm getting a new Honda SH150 this week or next, can't wait!

Early crissy prez ,  Don?

bluenz wrote:

My definition of a Moped is a glorified bicycle with an engine under 50cc, so you don't need a Licence ...

JUST stick a 50CC label on a motorscooter and the CGST will ignore you - unless you drive like a fool.

Jaitch wrote:
bluenz wrote:

My definition of a Moped is a glorified bicycle with an engine under 50cc, so you don't need a Licence ...

JUST stick a 50CC label on a motorscooter and the CGST will ignore you - unless you drive like a fool.

We do the same thing in Aus, a  Probationary m/b licence used to be for up to 250CC, but now it works on HP, so a Yamaha 550cc is legal , ( but looks about the same size as a 900cc ).

We have a SYM Shark that has been our daily driver for almost 5 years now and has about 45000 km on it. We are getting a new one because we are starting to have some small mechanical issues and I don't want our family of 4 to get stranded somewhere :P

snake77 wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:
snake77 wrote:

LaxFogo, where did I say that you said one does not need registration? All I said/asked is what you're talking about (mixing up licenses/permit with registration card)? However, you just confirmed once again that it is no problem to drive without a drivers license, right? So I assume you have a 50CC scooter/moped, then you are right (like bluenz said), you don't need any license but if you're saying riding anything over 50CC without a drivers license is fine, well then your advise is what I said, rubbish...

Btw, go read some of the other threads, lots of foreigner who have an A2 on this forum... (learn to read...).

CBR600 is a little bit bigger than a 50CC.

Mate just because you "can" get a A2, doesn't mean the process is simple by any mean. You'd have to jump through hoops to get it. I've been here 7 months, been stopped twice...and each time 500k gets me moving again.

bluenz wrote:

My definition of a Moped is a glorified bicycle with an engine under 50cc, so you don't need a Licence, although the rider should have some sort of traffic education, unfortunately this doesn't happen here, same with those dangerous kids on the Electric bikes ( " silent death', ),  in most countries, even bicycle riders have to obey the road rules, ( and also wear APPROVED helmets ).

A moped------

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113836&d=1249713592

LaxFogo wrote:
snake77 wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:

Mate just because you "can" get a A2, doesn't mean the process is simple by any mean. You'd have to jump through hoops to get it. I've been here 7 months, been stopped twice...and each time 500k gets me moving again.

LaxFogo, I understand you're having a hard time here in VN, not easy for new comers, I know. But you really set a new record on my scale, 7 month in town, been stopped twice, cost you 1 mio, had a crash the other day (quote:Also got into an accident a few months back, going about 65 mph on a CBR 600, luckily I came out alive with really bad scrapes all over my body (I also didn't wear any gear).) and managed to get yourself into FV (quote: I passed out from blood loss after my crash, and when I woke up and there was a bunch of people surrounding the scene (probably 20-30 after the crash that I woke up)...I had to ask someone to drive me to the local hospital to clean my wounds and get stiches before transferring to FV.)

In roughly 20 years here, I have never had an accident, never ever paid any Cong An 1 Dong.

So you're en expert of some kind, but please don't tell other people that driving in VN without a license is OK, unless you're riding a 50CC.

snake77 wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:
snake77 wrote:

LaxFogo, I understand you're having a hard time here in VN, not easy for new comers, I know. But you really set a new record on my scale, 7 month in town, been stopped twice, cost you 1 mio, had a crash the other day (quote:Also got into an accident a few months back, going about 65 mph on a CBR 600, luckily I came out alive with really bad scrapes all over my body (I also didn't wear any gear).) and managed to get yourself into FV (quote: I passed out from blood loss after my crash, and when I woke up and there was a bunch of people surrounding the scene (probably 20-30 after the crash that I woke up)...I had to ask someone to drive me to the local hospital to clean my wounds and get stiches before transferring to FV.)

In roughly 20 years here, I have never had an accident, never ever paid any Cong An 1 Dong.

So you're en expert of some kind, but please don't tell other people that driving in VN without a license is OK, unless you're riding a 50CC.

Common mate, the accident was entirely my fault. Having a license would not have prevented the accident, and it is completely ok to not have a license in Saigon. Thanks.

LaxFogo, You are welcome!

I have no doubt that it was your fault and I have no doubt that even if you'd have a license, you would of had an accident but I'm not sure if you're proud about it or not. But for the record, you are wrong, it is not OK to drive around in SaiGon without a license and I hope you never have to learn it the hard way. Wish you good luck!

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

All,

Can a foreigner buy a moped / scooter in Vietnam legally? Are there extra paperwork?  Beside my US passport, is there any other paperwork I need?

Thanks all.

Tin Tin

If you are buying new you'd have a friend buy and put it in their name or as Jaitch mentioned the dealerships can set it up. I've never gone that route but am curious...

Used you'd just be sure to get the blue card but not transfer it over to your name like almost everyone else here does. It's ideal if the person whose name is on the blue card can be called to retrieve the bike if necessary (such as buying from a friend who is the original owner), otherwise there is a (somewhat minimal) risk of losing the bike.

Under 50cc you don't need a license. Anything over you do. Personally I'd be more concerned about this than the "bike legally registered in your name" issue because the worst case scenarios (what if you are involved in an accident that seriously injures or kills a VN national? What if your health insurance provider denies coverage because you were driving illegally?) are far worse than losing a bike.

snake77 wrote:

LaxFogo, You are welcome!

I have no doubt that it was your fault and I have no doubt that even if you'd have a license, you would of had an accident but I'm not sure if you're proud about it or not. But for the record, you are wrong, it is not OK to drive around in SaiGon without a license

Street squid. Prognosis: 50/50 lives to see 21.

LaxFogo: Do yourself a favor and get the family to pony up for good health insurance if you don't already have it and do them a favor and advocate that they put life insurance on you as well - and don't let them skimp on the policy either go all out. May just end up being the best investment they ever made...

Cheers.

VungTauDon wrote:

We have a SYM Shark that has been our daily driver for almost 5 years now and has about 45000 km on it. We are getting a new one because we are starting to have some small mechanical issues and I don't want our family of 4 to get stranded somewhere :P

I just done some minor repair in my white shark  :)
Still weak pulling!
Waiting to buy a second hand CBR 150  :)

Nam_ wrote:

[Personally I'd be more concerned about this than the "bike legally registered in your name" issue because the worst case scenarios (what if you are involved in an accident that seriously injures or kills a VN national? What if your health insurance provider denies coverage because you were driving illegally?) are far worse than losing a bike.

Exactly! Only that I think NO insurance will cover you if you're driving ILLEGALLY.

snake77 wrote:
Nam_ wrote:

[Personally I'd be more concerned about this than the "bike legally registered in your name" issue because the worst case scenarios (what if you are involved in an accident that seriously injures or kills a VN national? What if your health insurance provider denies coverage because you were driving illegally?) are far worse than losing a bike.

Exactly! Only that I think NO insurance will cover you if you're driving ILLEGALLY.

Does anyone know of any Foreigner who has had the mis fortune to need to claim on this m/b Insurance?. ( I think it is only 3rd Party Insurance on m/b's, the 3rd party being the unlucky VN who got in your way, or more likely, probably caused the accident? ).

Possibly you can get insurances that will cover 3rd parties, even if driving illegally (no license, drunk driving, etc..)

There was an article about this just a few days ago:

"A year ago, at the annual consular consultation meeting between Vietnam and Russia, the Russian delegation asked Vietnam to not rent motorbikes to Russian tourists who do not have a valid driving license. If Russian tourists who drive motorcycles and cars in Vietnam break the law, causing traffic accidents, Russian insurance firms would not pay compensation, they said.

In August 2013, the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism issued a dispatch on management of motorcycle rental services for Russian and foreign tourists. Accordingly, motorcycle rental shops are not allowed to rent vehicles to foreigners if they fail to present a valid driving license in accordance with Vietnam law."

whole article here: http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/specia … ivers.html

snake77 wrote:

Possibly you can get insurances that will cover 3rd parties, even if driving illegally (no license, drunk driving, etc..)

There was an article about this just a few days ago:

"A year ago, at the annual consular consultation meeting between Vietnam and Russia, the Russian delegation asked Vietnam to not rent motorbikes to Russian tourists who do not have a valid driving license. If Russian tourists who drive motorcycles and cars in Vietnam break the law, causing traffic accidents, Russian insurance firms would not pay compensation, they said.

In August 2013, the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism issued a dispatch on management of motorcycle rental services for Russian and foreign tourists. Accordingly, motorcycle rental shops are not allowed to rent vehicles to foreigners if they fail to present a valid driving license in accordance with Vietnam law."

whole article here: http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/specia … ivers.html

Yes inline with most countries, I think if there was a remote possibility of getting an insurance policy for doing anything illegal, imagine what the price would be????
  Australia is the exception, if a burglar, ( robber in US Engish ) hurts himself while breaking into YOUR house, he can sue YOUR insurance company, my personal favourite, was the prisoner who claimed, ( and received ), Workers Compensation when he injured himself ESCAPING from jail????