What city do you live in and why?

To all you expats out there. What Vietnamese city do you live in ? and why do you chose to live there?

My wife and I are coming to Vietnam to explore the possibility of moving there. I would like to hear from thos willing to share what is so special about your city.

Why would you want to live in a noisy , polluted, crowded city in VN?,  When you can live in a noisy , polluted, but not so crowded small country town a lot cheaper.

A lot depends on your support needs such as medical, etc.

My home is in the Central Highlands, in Buon Ma Thuot, where the air is never hot and it is fresh and pollution free. About 30-40 Foreigners in town, including the coffee plantation managers.

But for retirement KonTum is even nicer but far less resources. Again up on the Central Highlands.

For a coastal town I would choose Ha Tien, An Giang Province. Great fishing port city of about 50,000 people. Seafood is wonderful as is the weather. Again, as a small town, resources are available two hours away by road.

There was a long string on this not long ago - use Search.

Thanks for the input... I will also be looking into some of the smaller cities and villages

Now, I live in Ha Noi. In VN, you can live in many big cities such as Ha Noi, Ho Chi Minh, Da Nang, Hue...And why don't you think about the life in Ha Noi? If it's the first time you go to VN, the volunteers will help you to travel and explore Ha Noi - The capital of VN. And if you want to learn Vietnamese, i can help you ^^

Thanks for the offer Hanhta, but we wont be going that far north on this trip. We will begin our journey in HCM and go as far north as Da Nang.

If I can choose any city to live in, I'll choose Da Nang. Fast developing city with nice and warm people. Great climate and hardly polluted.

msanh215 wrote:

If I can choose any city to live in, I'll choose Da Nang. Fast developing city with nice and warm people. Great climate and hardly polluted.

I got sick there because of the climate. High humidity and dried air made me to have to buy some Vaseline

bluenz wrote:

Why would you want to live in a noisy , polluted, crowded city in VN?,  When you can live in a noisy , polluted, but not so crowded small country town a lot cheaper.

Have you been to Quy Nhon? I am going to have a look around that area.... I have never been there ... Any input?

Very interesting post. Away from big cities and humidity. What type of accommodation I might expect if, for instance, planning to live in VN 5/6 months every year? How's rental market. Just a small/medium (2 bdr) flat or house?
Or buy/build my own/
How's the communications topic? reliable internet available? Phone?
I see there are flights available from HCM to Buon Math Thout, any other transport available to move around the city apart from scooters?
Thanks a lot for your time,
Regards,
Chris

Nha Trang! The sun the sea.....and a chance to meet plenty of Russians!!

thanlan7465 wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Have you been to Quy Nhon? I am going to have a look around that area.... I have never been there ... Any input?

I missed that part of VN, ( between Phan Thiet and Binh Dinh, but I don't think Quy Nhon is a small town? )
  Giccanto,  Jaitch is your man in BMT, been living there for many years.