Hard to make Indonesian friends?

Hello~ How are you doing everyone~
I'm a South Korean filmmaker visiting Jakarta. Have you made some local friends? I've been here for more than a month but most indonesians seem to hang out in tight groups so it's hard to get to know them. What do you think? :)

I dont think so

Yes they can be, it depends what they want from you or what you want from them. But as everyone one will agree or disagree it depends how where and when you do it.

Keep trying, if in doubt join a couch surfing meeting or Expat.com event. That can help

Thanks for writing. Could you explain why you don't think so? I went to many cafes, restaurant bars, clubs, but all locals always had people with them, not singles walking in looking to meet people. :)

How to make friends:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup brown sugar. Beat in 2 eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 tsp vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into creamed butter and sugar. Add chocolate chips.
Drop by spoonfulls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until awesome.

I went to some bar once with a Canadian social butterfly . She didn't have any problems making friends. Some gave her free drinks.

One problem i encounter is the language barrier. Although I think they can be quite friendly with the right approach. Specially in bars.

as well as other asians they are reserved to people they don't know. Try to join in some activities / events for excuses and start there to make friends :)

I am in the animal welfare and dance community with their own antics lol.

But its all the passion in it, so try to find something  you passionate about and meet like minded people :)

"most indonesians seem to hang out in tight groups"
I quite agree with what you said sarah_choy, but like in any other country, some people love to hang out in groups, some people prefer fewer companies or simply just be alone by themselves. But I can say that us Indonesians are basically warm and friendly (of course it depends on location, situation, city, etc). So as long as you're not harsh or being rude, it'll be no problem to make friends with locals here :top:

One day, I took a lunch in campus canteen and there's this korean guy who looks so confused with a paper in his hand (there's quite a lot of koreans in my university). He was standing close to me, so I asked him if he's okay. Turned out he has problems with his Indonesian language homework but he wasn't sure to whom he could ask for help. Long story short, he's one of my best buddies now. I have a bunch of similar stories like that which happened to me and my friends here.

I could easily get local friends (and still keep in touch until now) in wherever country I visited (which is always a short trip) with one of the most underrated tips: show sincere and warm smile :)

Oh and I suggest you to find the right environment, for instance you're a filmmaker right? So why don't you visit places where like-minded local people gathered. You can go to Kineforum (Taman Ismail Marzuki) to watch indie movies, or Salihara (South Jakarta), or Goethe Institut, and many more. You can easily spot foreigners there.
The places I mentioned are where you can meet cool local people who love to talk about movies, books, arts, or basically anything in more open-minded tone  :cool:

Hmm.. I made friendship, but with several japanese expat who regularly I met in the nail studio Lol

nah, it depends on the personality, interests, but maybe just maybe, not many of us speak good English though so the communication could be the reason....so try slow first then you"ll see :)

good luck  :top:

When I wander with my camera, I can't stop people coming up to me, wanting to chat.
Most are just one off conversations, but a few have become friends.
Bars are poor place to try to find new pals.

By the way, what sort of film making are you into, and are you in Jakarta to work?

Thank you all for such kind suggestions! I'll keep them in mind and use your tips whenever possible. :D
I did manage to meet good people and enjoyed my friday night in Jakarta, I owe it to this site. Hope the site continues to lend a hand with listening ears and kind hearts to all of those who are aliens to new places around the world. :)

I came to Jakarta to write a narrative fiction feature script. I'm done so I'm spending my last ten days exploring the city and making friends whenever possible. :)

samirous wrote:

have good day hope you spend very good in jakarta...my name is samire i have plan to travel visit indonisia ..why not we meet each other and take around so it is not hard make friends anywhere

Hi Samire,

Perhaps you finalize your travel plans to Indonesia first then it might be easier to make friends willing to show you around

HI sarah
Im yuliantohadi
I can support you when in jakarta or indonesia
but now you returned to Korea right?
maybe future you come again to indonesia an dont hesitate contact me

by the way if anyone want know indonesia or need assist
Please contact me

Thank you

I enjoy Korean movies and some Korean soap dramas. Have you made any famous ones?

Hi,

Are you still in Jakarta.

We can catch up over tea/coffees.

My cell no. +62 81 311 647805

Regards

No one should contact numbers offered in this way.
No one has any clue who this person is, or what they might be up to.

Totally agree....besides it is a very first post, no introduction at all.

We should all call him or give his number to companies who like to cold call. That will keep him busy